What Was Your General Impression of Elders?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you like them? Hate them? Fear them? Think they were no different or better than anyone else???

• undercover
    undercover

Methinks you're repeating yourself, min ole buddy. That or somebody else asked a similar question....but, I'll bite anyway, again

As a kid I feared them. Elders were more like policemen way back in the day. As I got older there were some I still avoided, I guess you could call it fear, but so as not to have to deal with their overzealousness and being sticklers for rules. Others became friends and I think they really want to be a good elder. Others were just going through the motions. Didn't care much one way or the other for em. Still a few others were just plain jerks and assholes and I wouldn't piss on em if they were on fire.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Ridiculous bunch of old men who somehow, with high-school educations at best, felt that they were superior both morally and mentally to every other person on the planet. Guys who believed that any form of sexuality other than missionary position between husband and wife was perverted, trying to tell the rest of us how to live our lives. Men in polyester suits telling me how to dress, how to wear my hair, what parts of my own body I could pierce. And all the while, they thought I was inferior because I was a woman! At the same time, I was afraid of drawing too much of their attention, because let's face it, they did control our lives to a large degree.

• Pole
    Pole

I always viewed them as honorable men who will one day become Mighty Princes of the New World!

Pole - of the "yeah-right" class

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

You think that's rediculous Insomaniac??

Try being a good elder and not believing or doubting most of what you printed as no/no's.

Ya get really conflicted.

Outoftheorg

• JH
    JH

I found them too serious, and one tracked mind people.

• minimus
    minimus

Since I was an elder for a number of years, I realize why some here could hold them in contempt. Most elders are decent enough men but they actually begin to believe that Jehovah might be using them for a certain purpose. In the Elder's book, it mentions something along the lines of ----any elder could be used by Jehovah to impart some spiritual gem---so never look down upon a fellow elder with holy spirit in operation. The result is tht elders DO feel special. The truth is----they're nothing to write home about.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I apologize, Minimus, and to any other former elders I may have offended with my remarks. I didn't stop to think that some of y'all might have gone apostate! I did not mean to insult you or hurt your feelings.

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I agree with insomniac. I always got nervous around everyone in the congregation though because I learned at a very young age you had to mind your p's and q's. I always felt I couldn't be myself and I couldn't talk to people because I might say something wrong something that would offend them. Because I was so shy and quiet at the hall I didn't really have friends. I felt like an outcast at the hall and a outcast at school. I never felt like I belonged anywhere.

• minimus
    minimus

Insomniac, I asn't offended by your comments. Plus I HATE polyester.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit