received revealing "witness" in parking lot

by Magnum 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Good job!

Several  times (at least three) when I would mention specific things wrong with JWdom (either current or past) she said: “Well, I’m sorry you feel that way.”

Good grief. You weren't talking about your feelings, you were talking about facts... the fact that JWs are proven false prophets.

The organization has dumbed down at the same time that accessibility to accurate information has ramped up.

Her: "Let me give you this tract so you can go to our website."

You: "That's okay, I'll just google 'Jehovah Witness'."

I wonder how she'd respond.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Magnum

The green book "Your Will Be Done On Earth" at the time of publication and for many years after ,  had scriptures from the book of Daniel that did seem to fit world events  of the time .This was the time I converted to JW`s at 19 ....We did believe we had the truth , we knew doctrine ,and we knew how to defend it scriptually with no fear of challenging pastors or clergy that resided in our territory .Another book that helped me then was "Equipped For Every Good Work" ..I would defend my faith I had  with anyone .

Now ?    All they want to do is refer you to a website .

How pathetic.

That is  a good point billy I must try it at the next opportunity.

smiddy

smiddy

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Lol I love that suggestion billy!! 'I'll just google Jehovah's Witness' LOL
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

All it takes nowadays to be a good witness is:

"listen obey and be blessed"

The GB say "it is the truth if we say it is, so you don't need to do anything except listen to us obey us and be blessed by us by not being cast aside to use your own brain to think for yourself. We have done all your thinking for you!"

Are you not evidently happified by this?

• Magnum
    Magnum

Ooh! Good suggestion, Billy the Ex, I want to try that.

smiddyThe green book "Your Will Be Done On Earth" at the time of publication and for many years after ,  had scriptures from the book of Daniel that did seem to fit world events  of the time .This was the time I converted to JW`s at 19 ....We did believe we had the truth , we knew doctrine ,and we knew how to defend it scripturally with no fear of challenging pastors or clergy that resided in our territory .Another book that helped me then was "Equipped For Every Good Work" ..I would defend my faith I had  with anyone .
    Now ?    All they want to do is refer you to a website .

I agree and I remember those days. I still have copies of both of those books. I remember the fearlessness. I remember challenging clergymen.

We did believe we had the truth , we knew doctrine ,and we knew how to defend it scripturally with no fear of challenging pastors or clergy that resided in our territory 

It makes me kind of sad to read that because I remember it so well, and now it's all gone. We had confidence; it might have been false, but we had it. We also had dignity and knowledge and intelligence and reasoning ability. We were bold.

It was so comforting to feel that we had the truth and could defend it and were God's people and had a wonderful future. Now, JWdom is embarrassing and I have no hope. It's all gone.

• flipper
    flipper

Magnum- Now you have ANOTHER kind of hope. You can live your life with freedom of mind - unencumbered by the false promises and lies that the WT Society controlled us with through fear and guilt. You have the hope of living out the rest of your life pursuing hobbies, interests, dreams, and careers in reality that you may not have been allowed to pursue had you remained in a mind control cult. You have the hope of living your life with no fear of an imaginary Armageddon and can control your own destiny instead of 8 old farts controlling it from WT headquarters. I'd say- I like your chances pretty good ! You DO have hope !

Just trying to be the silver lining in your cloud this morning ! LOL. Take care bro
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Well played, Magnum, Sir!

A refreshing change from the pathetic drivel that has become too common here.   Dumb Dubs make dumb XJWs; you are not of that flocking flock.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

I remember growing up in the late 70's and 80's as a JW going on special field service days where all you were allowed to bring was a bible as opposed to trying to place literature.  I remember that one of the key cornerstones that all you needed was the bible and you had to practice using just that.  I remember the focus on studying and memorizing "Reasoning from the Scriptures" so we could do that.  

I think one of the appeals of the JWs (especially during the 70's) was that it had a veneer of pseudo-intellectuallism that was a magnet to a particular type of person.  In the 70's people were becoming dissatisfied with the Catholic Church (especially where I grew up, in Puerto Rico) and the alternative was the charismatic (e.g. Pentecostals) which was viewed as too extreme.  JWs were extremely successful in Puerto Rico because they were in the middle of that continuum.  And, one of the things that the JWs do really well is that they create a very strong and cohesive inner-circle that goes beyond their doctrine.  So, at this point in time, doctrine doesn't even seem to be part of the equation any more.

All of the comments I have seen so far are very much on point.  I do not recognize these people now.  They have "jumped the shark".

• Magnum
    Magnum

Thank you, flipper. Thank you, Nathan Natas.

I agree, StrongHaiku. There was back then at least "a veneer of pseudo-intellectualism". It at least seemed to be sort of scholarly and intellectual. Now it's not even remotely like that; there's not even a veneer.

I remember the focus on the Bible. In my area (I don't know about others), also, we learned to discuss doctrine using just the Bible. We memorized countless Bible passages and had long discussions with householders using only the Bible.

In the 70's people were becoming dissatisfied with the Catholic Church (especially where I grew up, in Puerto Rico) and the alternative was the charismatic (e.g. Pentecostals) which was viewed as too extreme.  JWs were extremely successful in Puerto Rico because they were in the middle of that continuum.  And, one of the things that the JWs do really well is that they create a very strong and cohesive inner-circle that goes beyond their doctrine.  So, at this point in time, doctrine doesn't even seem to be part of the equation any more.

Good assessment. It seems that doctrine is becoming less and less important and is not really emphasized anymore.

Do you know the situation in Puerto Rico now? Do you think JWs will continue to be successful in recruiting there or has the availability of knowledge on the internet hurt them?

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

Magnum, thank you for the kind words.  As a matter of fact I was in Puerto Rico about a month ago.  I saw a number of JWs standing with their carts.  I had my girlfriend go up and ask some questions.  They handed her literature but that was about it.  They just kept pointing her to look at the book.  I think the average JW could be replaced with a Kiosk at this point.  

I am not sure of the future of JWs there.  I took a quick look at the numbers and they seem a bit suspect.  At the very least they seem "flat" to me in comparison to the "blazing work" we were doing when I was there as a kid.  If the growth had continued as it was in the 70's everyone in that island should be JW by now ;-).  Their growth is probably similar to other U.S. states/territories that have access to good education, internet (Internet speeds are usually about 3 to 4 times faster than in the U.S.  It is crazy fast.),  and a dying "hardcore JW" population.  However, Puerto Rico is experiencing economic and social problems which the "Organization" can leverage/exploit and might give them a slight "uptick".

I guess time will tell.  I plan to go back home again this year.  I will make it a point to learn more.  

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit