New Member Introduction

by Leilani 23 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Leilani,

Welcome to JWD and please stick around. You will not regret the experience and the friendship.

I know first hand about ovarian cancer and it's effects. You wrote:

Five years ago my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and the last couple years of her life she went back to studying with the Witnesses. My mother died from the cancer a year ago this past September. My older sister, who had never been a Witness, was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer (she's now stage 4) two weeks before my mother died.

I lost my wife to this 8-1/2 years ago and it was devastating. My 33 year old daughter has become somewhat of an expert in studying this disease since it runs in the family. Recently, she was turned down for health insurance because she has every year and insists on the CA 125 test. The insurance carriers don't want to face the facts about this silent killer.

anyhow............WELCOME

HappyDad

• Leilani
    Leilani

Thanks for all the welcomes! They are really appreciated. It really is strange how 30 odd years later the whole JW thing can still rear it's ugly head in my life. I tried so hard to put it behind me as so much of it terrified me growing up. Not that I didn't have my warm and fuzzy feel good moments, but those came during the daylight. At night I would be a quivering scared little girl who might get possessed if she did anything wrong. Alas, I'm older now and can think better for myself.

Happy Dad, I'm so sorry you lost your wife to ovarian cancer. You're right, it's a silent killer. Ovarian cancer, it whispers.....so LISTEN! Thanks for the links. I'm finding out more than I thought I would ever want to know about this cancer. My sis just had the genetic testing done and is wating on the results.

Leilani

• outnfree
    outnfree

(((Leilani)))

Welcome to the Board! I am sorry to hear about the tragedies in your life. My mother, too, died last year of a fatal pre-cancerous condition that packed red blood cells treatment could have temporarily thwarted. She'd had a couple of strokes as well... It's very tough to be an orphan, isn't it? And now you have to worry that your remaining family might shun you? What a burden that religion is to so many! I feel for ya.

outnfree

• Leilani
    Leilani

outnfree,

My condolences at the loss of your mother. It's hard to lose a loved one. Fortunately, even though my mom had pain, the doctors were able to control it with morphine until she died so she didn't suffer in that way too much. I think the chemo was the hardest on her.

To answer your question, no, I'm not worried about my remaining family shunning me. I can't anticipate that ever happening, even when my brother gets reinstated or if my sister gets baptized. We've been through too much as a family to be torn apart by that. My sister's cancer and my brother being shunned, now that worries and bothers me.

Leilani

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit