is there any concrete proof the JWs are wrong? Iam new here.

by Buck 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Buck
    Buck

Iam very new to this forum. So glad to meet all of you. Ive been reading here for quite a while but never felt the need to join in. There is a lot of good info on here. Now a little about me and my questions.

Ive been going out with a JW girl for a little while. Shes been getting me to study, etc. I really like her and she feels the same about me. But Iam having a hard time understanding their position on certain things. Birthdays really bother me, because the bible does not say "dont celebrate", etc. But when I study, they always have a answer for every question I ask.

Is there any question are scripture that just does not agree with JW teaching? Are is this like all christianity with opinion, subjectivity, and objectivity sometimes relating to the question or not?

Thank you, I look forward to posting here in the future

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

hi Buck.. the one point that bugs me is the Jehovah's witnesses believe t hat jesus isnt mediator between God and man. they believe he's mediator between God and the governing body. that is one doctrinal issue i have a problem with. check that one out.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

: But when I study, they always have a answer for every question I ask.

True, but speaking from experience; they are most likely stupid answers. Most people are intimidated by the bible, so JW's who sound so authoritative also, to the untrained ear, sound knowledgeable. JW's are NOT knowledgeable about the bible, only about what the organization sez about the bible.

For instance, your instincts about birthdays are right on: there is no reasonable bible interpretation that condems them. However, if they can get you to believe that they have a special "hot-line" to god, via their governing body, then you will further believe that they have caught the subtle warning from god against birthdays that everyone else in the world missed.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Welcome to the forum!

Birthdays really bother me, because the bible does not say "dont celebrate", etc. But when I study, they always have a answer for every question I ask.

For that one specifically they say that birthdays are mentioned in the bible 2 times, and each time there was a bad occurance. First was Pharoh's birthday where the candlestick maker (or was it a baker or the food tester or someone anyway) died second being when John the Batptist was beheaded.

They neglect to mention that Job's family celebrated birthdays (Job 1:4) and Job actually used the occurance to make a sacrifice to God on his children's behalf.

You want concrete proof? Try to find information (other then in JW books) where it is shown that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BCE. This belief has been made into the foundation of the JW belief and why they believe that they are "God's mouthpiece". Just a hint...the only place you'll find supporting info is in JW books, cuz it happened in 586/7 not 607.

Good luck and remember to ask questions. Don't accept their answers because they said so, make them prove it outside their books. If it's true, it will stand to the test. Chances are they won't be able to.

Kwin

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Buck.....if you seek "concrete proof" just go the the "quotes" website linked very often on this board.... let the WTBTS's own words show how often the waffle on the doctrines and policies they would have you think make them the "true" religion.

"Freeminds' ...go there and read tesimony after testimony of how "gods organization" rides rough over the flock...spirtual rape at it finest, over and over again.

Concrete proof.... you want it by the yard? or pre-cast? .......the proof is out there.

Run while you can!

~Hill

• Fleur
    Fleur

I second the suggestion of going to freeminds.org and reading everything you can.

I would also recommend that you read as many threads on shunning as you can so that you can get educated. If you become a JW, there is no way to gracefully leave it later once you've been baptized so be sure of what you're getting into before you get into that pool!

Welcome, I hope you will find what you're looking for here. Believe me, the facts are there.

essie

• bebu
    bebu

Hi! Welcome to the board!!

Here's a thread for you to start with, if you haven't seen it yet. You might also read around under topics given in the "Best Of" section, if you pull down the menu next to "Jump to".

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/58215/1.ashx

This is a thread for newbies, and it has many issues of interest on it. I hope you have a lot of time... once you start, it's hard to pull away!

Take care,

bebu

Here's another site: http://quotes.watchtower.ca. Hope the formatting works for you. Try refresh if it doesn't... that often works...

• avishai
    avishai

Also the "best of" secton on here has tons of good info.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    the one point that bugs me is the Jehovah's witnesses believe t hat jesus isnt mediator between God and man. they believe he's mediator between God and the governing body.

Not exactly. They believe Jesus is the mediator between God and the entire Annointed Faithful and Discreet Slave. If you tell them he is just the mediator for the Governing Body, they will deny it immediately. Some Governing Body members are not annointed.

Many Jehovah's Witnesses really don't understand that teaching, so if they deny it, have them look it up and you will be the one who is right.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I had a discussion about Birthdays with my father-in-law, I ended up writing out their whole doctrine, why they believe it, and why it doesn't make any sense. I still have the Word doc lying around. If you'd like a copy, pm me your email address.

Essentially, the 2 birthdays of bad people in the bible and the pagan origins are what they lean on. But there are only two instances in the Bible of people putting on eye makeup, both of them wicked, and it also has pagan origins. But it's totally cool with the Watchtower. Funny how the "bad" things are also the things that would likely expose Witnesses to non-Witnesses... (birthdays, holidays, "worldly" parties...)

Good luck!

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit