Non JW woman met JW man--confused & have questions

by Jellybean 18 Replies latest social relationships

• jgnat
    jgnat

I dunno, it seems you are both enjoying each other's company while escaping the stresses and strains of regular life. For you, you are not behaving as you normally do, but get caught up in the moment. I am betting he is as well. If either of you introduces the full reality of your circumstances, I am betting neither one may look as attractive. There is no way you would ever be accepted as a regular member of his JW family. Both because you are not a JW, and because of your existing marriage.

Are there children involved? Be careful how far this infatuation goes, as it could do serious harm to your family. If it were me, because of the strong mutual attraction, I would not meet him alone again. Only at a bright coffee shop, well lit, with my girlfriend poised to call me on my cell phone in ten minutes to rescue me from myself.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Jellybean,

Remember the robot from 'Lost in Space'? "Warning! Warning! Will Robinson! Danger!!"

Well... have fun - but be careful. If he is a 'fringe' JW (one who is living a double life), he may seem 'normal' for a period of time... but if he ever gets a 'conscience' and 'turns himself in' (or someone else does), his personality will change 180-degrees. He will become moody, and sullen, sulkng perhaps.

You are a strong woman. You do not need to be dragged down by this.

IF... he is trying to 'exit' that religion... he may need help... but you will need a lot more information about that high-control group before you even attempt to be the one to try to help him.

It's kind of a dangerous game. Be very careful.

Regards,

Jim TX - (been there - was a JW - did that to a nice non-JW gal - not proud of it)

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Hi Jellybean,

Welcome to the forum.

Considering that JWs are categorically not supposed to develop romantic relationships with non-JWs, we get a LOT of non-JW people in a similar situation to yours. One of our very valued posters, Lady Lee, has compiled a series of Best of...... posts which collate threads by subject. Here is a link to "dating a JW" topics -

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/32/77159/1.ashx

I would warn you that non-JWs, "worldly" people, are definately looked down on by JW teaching. Long after I left that cult, I still retained insulting viewpoints about non-JWs, that they had no morals. So, yes, he probably does think that you are immoral. He'll think that everyone who is not a JW is immoral.

Sometimes JWs do leave, and get over the very strong indoctrination, and sometimes, the support of a loving relationship helps them in that process.

My personal opinion is that at this time in both your lives, the last thing you need is each other. You are going through the difficult time of deciding whether to rebuild or leave your marriage - you have enough to deal with without the added stress of supporting him if he wants to exit a cult. He is struggling with his faith - he has enough to deal with without supporting you as you decide whether to leave or stay in your marriage.

All the very best to you, Jellybean.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    It turns out he is the older brother of a few kids I went to high school with, and I knew those kids were JW in school.

This is the only place I've heard you mention that he was a JW. Has he ever personally told you that he's a JW?

It really sounds like he's no longer a JW, because he's not feeling guilty or even trying to repress his sexual desires.

Definately ask him about it.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Again, what kind of strange rules and teachings regarding women?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound quite so dramatic.

Well they're a fundamentalist sect and as such believe that women are inferior to men. They bring out the whole "subjection" issue, in that a woman is in subjection to her husband. Women are taught to be submissive, meek and obedient at all times. If not, she will be talked to by the elders of the congregation and the husband will be as well. An old friend of mine was lectured (and threatened with judicial action too) by his elders after he was laid off. He had not found work in several months but his wife was employed. He was "encouraged" (read: ordered) to take any job but get employed ASAP as it was a sign of poor headship for him to be unemployed while his wife worked. So he took a janitorial job, and ended up making less than he was on unemployment.

They teach that divorce is to be avoided at all costs. So a woman is put under heavy pressure to stay in an abusive marriage. I know of several women who were being beaten daily but told that Jehovah would disapprove of them if they left the husband.

The Witnesses also teach that a woman may not pray to Jehovah (God) while in the presence of a man. They even go so far as believing that women are so inferior before God that when they meet for field service (the term JWs use for their door to door ministry) and there are only women present, they must cover their head while giving prayer. As a child I saw one woman use a diaper as a head covering!

The Witnesses' most harmful teaching is regarding rape. They teach that unless a woman screams before she is raped, she has committed a consensual sexual act. What happens then is the rape victim is brought before a church judicial committee and grilled over every detail (even down to what sort of underwear she wore, if she had an orgasm and so on). If she did not scream she has committed adultery or fornication and must repent for her sin. If she does not, she is subject to being disfellowshipped (excommunicated) and then subject to being shunned by everyone, family included, in the entire religion. By the way, this rule does not apply to male rape victims, only women.

This is just a snapshot idea of women's role in Jehovah's Witnesses and it's all I can think of right off the bat. I'm sure some women on this board can tell other stories. It is not an easy life and if you are a professional I can tell you that if you became a Witness, you would be "encouraged" to quit your career.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Wow, only one person so far has mentioned the fact that you are still married.

It would probably be a good idea to talk to your husband about this affair so that you two can move forward, cuz it doesn't sound like your finished with this other guy yet.

Also, make sure to use protection and if you didn't use protection you should definately tell your husband so that you both can be tested for all the various forms of std's (hiv, herpes, gonorrea, sypillis, chlamydia, hepatitis, etc). Well, I think you get the picture! Otherwise, party on!

M'

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Just curious, but...

what are your expectations, if any? of this relationship. I'm just wondering because so many woman wait until the next "Mr.Right" comes along before making a move away or, working on an already tettering relationship. It's like jumping from the pan into the fire, my opinion, if your unclear in your own motive for continuing to pursue this man.

Then again, I'm old, and not one too cast stones at anyone mature enough to handle a dangerous situation.

Be careful, is right.

sincerely, granny

• crazzae`face
    crazzae`face

I need advice, is there anyone you know that can help me??? It's about my not so goody-two shoes Jw bf and me a non-Jw...He does everything wrong but he still goes to his meetings after he go expelled for drinking and aprtying, but i like that side of him, im so upset, weve been going out for 4 1/2 months now...we really love eachother but he seems to really be devoted to his religion when he talks but his actions say diff. He drinks, smokes, has sex, oral, everything its just so crazy...does anyone have any thing for me?

Dear Jellybean:

Despite the characterization by others here of Jehovah's Witnesses as a "sect," the reality is, it's a cult. Based on your comments herein, your new "friend," if he is indeed a Jehovah's Witness, has committed acts warranting disfellowshipping (excommunication) under their rules. This leaves several possibilities:

1. Your friend is not a Jehovah's Witness. Good, he's not suffering from this affliction, but you noted that others in his family were Jehovah's Witnesses, at least at one time. There could be "issues" affecting him as a result of his past involvement. Realize that this cult is extremely traumatic upon children; accordingly, one might still have "baggage" as an adult relating to their horrific childhoods in the JW cult.

2. Your friend is a weak Witness. This is probably the worst type of situation. He believes in the message of the JW cult but is unable to conform his conduct to their teachings. The frustration attributable to believing one has the "true" religion but is unable to conform to its teachings will drive him nuts, and you.

3. Your friend is an immoral, partying stud masquerading as a Jehovah's Witness. I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this, but it could have something to do with nailing JW ladies who are desperate due to a lack of suitable and/or desirable men in the congregation.

You need to find out all details of his involvement in this cult. Don't let the damage the cult may have done to him adversely affect you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit