The Human Face

by Greenpalmtreestillmine 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

On the survival advantage of facial non-verbal communication, see the following article "Human Facial Expresssions as Adaptations: Evolutionary Questions in Facial Expression Research," published in the 2001 Yearbook of Physical Anthropology:

http://merlin.psych.pitt.edu/html/faculty/abstracts/schmidtcohn01.pdf

See especially the section on the ecological context of facial expressions. On edit: The article also goes into some detail on the facial expressions of other primates, such as monkeys and chimpanzees, and shows that many facial expressions have primate analogues and are not unique to humans but rather are common to primates.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    When I hear someone say that we were created by evolution...I think...well where did anything at all come from...where did space come from and where did time come from? And where did the water come from to create the oceans?? That has to be the biggest factor that makes me believe in God.

I was discussing this with my brother awhile back, and while he leans towards evolution, he is not convinced. He is an atheist though. I asked him where everything comes from. He said "It just IS"

I found that answer profoundly satisfying for some reason.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Mulan,
    If everything just IS, and if there is no God, everything should always have existed. So would that make all that is (everything) God? Sounds a little pantheistic, doesn't it? The question is: Does science say that everything always was? And if somehow everything came into existence and there was a time when it was not, how did it happen? No God. No First Cause.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Current cosmological theory is that the expanding universe originated as a runaway quantum singularity. If spacetime first emerged as a single quantum point, it is nonsensical to ask what was before spacetime (as some say, it is tantamount to asking what is north of the North Pole) and there is no mystery of where spacetime as a singularity came from, for physicists have repeatedly observed the spontaneous materialization (and dematerialization) of particles at the quantum level, which slip in and out of nonexistence. The real mystery, from the standpoint of cosmological theory, is what prevented this vacuum singularity from slipping back into nothingness and what caused its inflation into the current universe.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Kenneson

God.
    how did it happen?
    No First Cause.

Riiiight.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

Chimps, including bonobos, have more communicative facial expressions than other animals, but less than humans do. This is at it should be, considering evolutionary theory.

S

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Green,

I am no scientist but I wouldn't agree with your definition of "necessary for survival". The only thing really "necessary for survival," I guess, is a viable (=> environment-adapted) organic and functional structure. IOW, each species has to develop one working trick to survive -- but not necessarily this one trick, this one way. And once the trick works many unnecessary features may remain or appear for the sake of the structural game. Remember, besides necessity there is chance. Each structure is a new version of the game of the life with a slightly different set of rules. And there is always more to playing than to the set of rules.

Now I think the human species began developing its communication system (which is not without correspondence in other species, as several posters pointed out) for utilitarian purposes, but soon got hooked into the resulting structure and game. Besides (or over) our biological reality we developed a symbolical system in which we have become a subject among subjects (I) and an imaginary reflexive self (me). Once this structure is set it works for its own sake, not out of necessity anymore. We are on this symbolical level just as we are on the real one. To us symbols are better than life. We would die for symbolical reasons anytime. Actually everything has become symbolic to us. We are lost and saved in the game.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nark,

Besides (or over) our biological reality we developed a symbolical system in which we have become a subject among subjects (I) and an imaginary reflexive self (me). Once this structure is set it works for its own sake, not out of necessity anymore. We are on this symbolical level just as we are on the real one. To us symbols are better than life. We would die for symbolical reasons anytime. Actually everything has become symbolic to us. We are lost and saved in the game.

I agree. Your mystical side is showing.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The chimp face is unique in the lower animal world (excluding the higher animals, namely us humans).

S

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

In evolution, it is often recognized that all a species needs is a little "edge" over another to keep in the game. The development of human culture gave us a HUGE advantage, for it made many biological adaptations irrelevant (e.g. clothes to keep warm, making weapons instead of needing horns and claws, agriculture giving us a steady food supply, etc.), and symbolic communication -- of which non-verbal communication is just one modality -- is the bedrock to culture. The word "survival" should not be taken too literally because not all species are barely struggling to survive; some that are so well-adapted to their niche may even be too successful, consuming all their resources and wiping themselves out. Also, it is the survival of the species as a whole that matters -- not the survival of the individual (e.g. the black widow male that feeds himself to his mate is acting not out of his own self-interest but that of his offspring). While non-verbal communication may seem to have less importance to the individual, on the grand scale of the species it may matter more. Its present importance however is obscured by the overriding value of culture, which most anthropologists agree is a relatively recent (e.g. from 40,000 years ago) development, while non-verbal communication goes definitely back to the pre-cultural period (as it is shared by other primates). So just imagine how we all would survive if we strip away all our culture. Imagine making our way in the world, a world that now would have large man-eating predators of the Pleistocene, with only rudimentary tools, without agriculture, without writing, without sophisticated social organization, without all the things we take for granted, and you might imagine we might make more critical use of the few things we do still have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit