What makes people really excel?

by formerout 29 Replies latest jw friends

• formerout
    formerout

I was just watching Nightline (I think it was) with Diane Sawyer. The stars from Ocean's Twelve were on there. I am not a person who normally gives too much praise to celebs or athletes but these guys/gals (Brad Pitt, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Andy Garcia, George Clooney, Matt Damon and Don Cheadle) were pretty brilliant.

My question is: Whether it's actors, athletes, musicians, authors, scientists, etc., what is the biggest factor/factors that make the highly successful people in their field become such?

Brad

• blondie
    blondie

I saw that show too.

What jumped out at me was Matt Damon's response to people who came up to him and asked him if they should be an actor?

He would always say NO.

He figured if they gave up when he said that, they didn't have what it took.

So excel, means not to listen to others assessment of you in regard to what you want, that it comes from inside not without.

Blondie

• formerout
    formerout

Blondie,

Sorry about that blank post.... didn't mean to do that.

I liked Matt Damon's idea as well. I would like as many impartial comments before I give my opinion, in order to assess my own ideas, but it does coincide with one of my thoughts.

Brad

• prophecor
    prophecor

I'd have to say determination, refusing to take no for an answer, and it has to be so important to you, that you feel you would die if you couldn't do what it was you loved.

• shamus
    shamus

Honestly?

I think that they're a bunch of Hollywood bunk. There are far better movies to watch than the garbage that is pumped out to millions of people. Have you actually seen how bad an actor Brad Pitt can be? Some roles he's brilliant, like Fight Club. Others he is just horrible at. Latest case in point, Troy. Bleah.

It's they're looks. It's the coke that many of them do. That's what makes them excel. Cocaine gives you confidence.

What makes people excel? Self confidence, nothing more.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    What makes people really Excel?

Microsoft Office.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

For some people it's natural talent.

For some it's determination and realistic goal setting.

For most people its working hard.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

lol Dan-O. Is it pathetic that I was thinking the same thing?

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

lol Dano and DrWtson...I was also thinking Microsoft office...Great Minds think alike :)

• formerout
    formerout

Ok, a new thought....one thing that is sure to PREVENT someone form excelling is negative thought like this:

It's they're looks. It's the coke that many of them do. That's what makes them excel. Cocaine gives you confidence.

The question included, not only actors, but scientists, musicians, authors, many of whom have never been good-looking nor done cocaine.

Shamus, I will agree that self-confidence plays a part, but respecting other people is as important as respecting ourselves.

Brad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit