Question ref baptism annulment

by JustTickledPink 24 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

My sister and I are both DF'd.

BUT difference is she is from Canada, I am in Florida. She grew up and was kinda abandoned and abused and drifted between family members who would care for her and she ended up being baptized at 16 yoa by some local elders. She's now 40 yoa and has been DF'd most of her adult life. One of our great uncles in an elder in her original congregation and that DF'd her and he recently talked to her and said that if she would come and meet with them and explain that she didn't make the right choice when she was young that they wouldn't reinstate her, but would remove her disfellowshipping and somehow "annull" her baptism.

I told her to go meet with them, because this elder is very old and sympathetic to her, always really liked her and the offer will only stand with him. But she's so against the whole religion, she refuses to even acknowledge their authority and won't go.

I had a question though because I was baptized at 11 yoa. I did it because there was an older brother in the hall that was baptized and was like 17 yoa or something and I thought he might like me if I got baptized. (Ok, I know I was young and stupid and had the HUGEST crush on him) But I really think that at 11 yoa that it shouldn't count. Has anyone ever approached the subject of having baptizm nullified or voided? Has anyone heard of this? Has anyone ever attempted this? Because I have often thought of writing a letter to the WT society and asking.

I don't want to be reinstated, I never want to go back. But if I had made the decision to get baptized as an adult I feel like it would have been different. Jesus didn't get baptized till his 30's. Hello I'm 30 yoa and would choose NOT TO.

Thoughts?

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I'm going to by attempting to do that myself very shortly. Thing is, if you're already DF'd, what harm is there in trying?

I'll let the board know how it goes once I've done it so keep an eye out!

Kwin

• New Castles
    New Castles

Interesting question...I will be looking forward to an answer from the ones on here who know more than me...

NC

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

The official policy is against "infant baptism" as the Catholics do, that I do remember, but in my opinion children are unable to care for themselves, they fall under their parents decision making. So WHY would a baptism of an 11 yoa count against your permanent record?

The law states that children under 18 are considered juveniles. I think there is a case for reversing baptisms for those of us who were not of a consenting age.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Hmmmmmmmmm... Interesting!!!

I was baptized at a very young age, and only aimed at pleasing my parents.

DY

• jws
    jws
    Jesus didn't get baptized till his 30's.

That's the exact reason I used as an excuse to delay my baptism for as long as I could. I finally did it because I felt like I was pressured into it. My parents were pestering me. Guess they felt that once I got to a certain age, if I wasn't baptised I wouldn't be saved at Armageddon. I think I was 17 or freshly 18.

The baptism thing is a legal issue with them. Only baptised people can be disfellowshipped. If the baptism were to somehow be annulled, you'd basically be in the same category as somebody who was studying with the JWs. They aren't held liable or punished for things they do - at least not to that extreme. They may be considered bad association, but don't have the restrictions a disfellowshipped person has.

It's worth a try. It may be that this elder is doing a deal for this special case. It might not work everyplace.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

It's true that it might be an isolated case/offer. I keep trying to talk her into it. I think it could set precedence for the rest of us,,,, it might actually cause a division and a seperation. I would love that. Another group of people "stumbled" or the elder himself might be disciplined. But I do think it's worth a shot.

I just dug up pics of myself getting baptized the other day, it's so hilarious, I see this little blonde KID in a pink bathingsuit, I hadn't even hit puberty yet, no breasts, just a little KID. Fast forward to 18 and I could have passed for 25 yoa. I was mature. It's laughable talking a child into a life long commitment.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

I can't believe they can or will do that. PLease, please please keep us posted.

If I could get my baptism annuled - man, that would open a whole can of worms with my mom. I'm so used to being shunned - I can't even imagine it another way. Then she would be allowed to ask me for money! LOL And since I know she didn't prepare for retirement - she could also ask for me to pay for the nursing home! LMAO

All kidding aside. If they would let me take back my baptism - I'm not sure what I would do.

• Sassy
    Sassy

There have been others who have tried the nullification due to age and failed. I hope if any of you attempt it, you have better success.

I doubt this older elder/sympathetic to your sister, has any power to get this done for her any more than anyone else. It would be the society that makes a ruling on something like that.. that decision would have to come from the GB..

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

We have to remember that the wbts claims to be a religion, while they behave like a corporation.

Which they are. A registered publishing corporation.

They view your baptismal as a contract. If it is created when you are underage, they will claim you accepted it after the age of consent IF you continued to participate after that age.

Control of members is their main interest in all matters.

However they are known to change their beliefs and policies. So I would be really interested in the outcome of this issue, if you follow through and contact this older elder.

If people chip away at a rock wall long enough, there is bound to be some changes in the wall.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU. sorry i'm not to use that phrase am I.

Outoftheorg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit