Celebrites in the Borg

by what_Truth? 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

Dont forget Teresa Graves who was on Laugh-In and Get Christy Love. She died recently in a fire. As far as I know, she left show business, became a regular pioneer, and was still a JW when she died. (October 11, 2002) Her last appearance was on a 1982 Bob Hope TV Show.

When she became a Jehovah's Witness, Grave gave up Hollywood to focus on her religion. Among her survivors is her mother who was hospitalized at the time of the fire after suffering a stroke.
    At JET press time, services were set for the Assembly Hall in the Woodland Hills section of Los Angeles.

Isn't Larry Graham a JW and he studied with Prince?

• under74
    under74

Doubtfully Yours- I think celebrities have big wallets.

Anyway,I've been collecting some names....I think there are some other lists on the web but here's what I have:

Mickey Spillane
    Lester Bangs ?rock critic
    Gloria Naylor- writer
    Gloria Gaynor (don?t think she was ever baptized)
    Gerri Halliwell
    George Benson
    The Jacksons
    Selina
    Larry Graham
    Prince
    Patti Smith (family was in the org until she was 12)
    Ja Rule
    K-OS
    Cliff Richard (studied with JWs?I think his mom converted)
    Hank Marvin ?The Shadows
    Jill Scott
    Dave Hill ?Slade
    Tommy Hamilton- Hamilton Joe Frank and Reynolds
    David Thomas- Pere Ubu
    Damo Suzuki- Singer in CAN (german group)
    Richard ?Dimples? Fields- solo singer
    The Wayans Brothers
    Lark Voorhies- Saved By The Bell
    Sherri Shepherd ?Less Than Perfect, Everybody Loves Raymond
    Teresa Graves
    Venus & Serena Williams
    Rapheal Septien ?Dallas Cowboys
    Naomi Campbell
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

I've heard things about Stevie Ray Vaughn being raised a JW...but can't find any evidence.

• Swan
    Swan

Would President Eisenhower be considered a celebrity? He was raised as one as a boy, but later fell away. Nowadays that would make him an Apostate like us.

• bavman
    bavman

if you're a basketball fan especially a milwaukee bucks fan you will know the name dave meyers. he was one of the 4 players traded to the bucks for lew alcindor (kareem) from l.a. he & his wife became dubs in my old cong. in wisconsin. he's now an elder in temecula, ca. he also confirmed to me once his old teamate elmore smith is a dub down south. oh, and how about lou whitaker of the detroit tigers...

bavman

• under74
    under74

Swan- Eisenhower was famous...and yeah, he left like us--don't know that he ever spoke against the org though. Anyway, there's always a little JW left in every apostate. Not all the people on the list are current JWs.

• Swan
    Swan

Under74, thanks.

I think it is important to point out that as many celebreties were or are affiliated with JWs, there were far many more who were smart enough not to get involved with them at all!

Tammy

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

Gloria Gaynor currently works the cruise ship circuits so it's VERY unlikely that she is an active Jehovah's Witness at present (she would have to miss meeting for months at a time just to work). I've also heard that Rodney King was raised as a JW though he's an accidental celebrity at best. I've also noticed that most of the celebrity dubs are disproportionatly black. I wonder if there's a reason for this.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Gloria Naylor, author, recently came to Tallahassee--and sad to say I didn't learn about it until after the fact. She kicked off the Leon County Public Library Book Fest by reading from an unpublished novel awaiting publication, entitled "1996." She is most widely known for her 1982 novel "The Women of Brewster Place," which was made into a movie, starring Oprey Winfrey. A former JW, she entered the group when her mother joined, but she split from them in 1975.

• Coqueton
    Coqueton

Michael Jackson used to come to my door in the LA area in the 80's and try to sell me tracts with another brother I went to school with.

I was at a Sunday meeting in the 90's in California and a black brother came from LA to give a talk and brought someone with him, a shaved head black man... turned out to be Damon Wayans. He was nice and pretty cool. don't think he is still in.

Ja Rule was raised a witness but doubt he is still in. Learned alot reading his feud with 50 cent.

Prince is in and the Williams sisters, anybody's guess.

Anybody hear abou Johnny Carson?

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Prizefighter Kid Gavilan of Cuba in the 50's. The Society wanted him to write his life story for an AWAKE article but was apparently to 'punch drunk' to do so.

Abel was the first JW! Yeah right!

Outaservice (who never was too famous)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit