My Florida (sure to be Guilt) Trip

by chrissee 12 Replies latest jw friends

• chrissee
    chrissee

I am new to the forum. I've been reading mostly, but now I am compelled to post something. I guess I'll start with a little info on me.

My mom began studying with the witnesses when I was about 13, my dad didn't start studying til about 3 years later. He is now an elder in a Florida cong. I studied because I had to, being only 13 I had to go to every meeting especially when my dad started studying. Service every Saturday, like clockwork. My mom was a pioneer and urged me every day that I needed to talk at the door, which I hated. I was very shy and wasn't on the school. Most of my friends in the cong were all my age and ALL of them, except for me got baptised by the time they were all 16. And most of them led the standard double life. (Even now almost all of them have fallen away from the cong. )Good at the hall in front of elders & cong. but as soon as we all were together, we'd party and drink! When I was about 23 I met a 'wordly' man and got pregnant. We weren't even together 3 months, before we had to get married. I was still living home and moved out because I knew I was sinning with this guy. My mom told me that I wouldn't be allowed in her house if I continuted to live in sin with this man. So we married. We are still together after 12 years!! Although I did finally get baptised when I was 27. But since then I have felt the cong didn't support me or much less hang with me since I married the 'worldly man'. I wasn't allowed to help my elder father on the platform with a short presentation, because of who I married. That was utterly ridiculous in my opinion!! I haven't set foot in the KH for more than 2 years now. At first I was upset & depressed, especially when no one from the KH has contacted me in that time. No one! Not an elder or a sister or ones I thought were once friends.

That's a little about me. The reason I am compelled to post is that my parents now live in Florida and I in Pennsylvania. They visit when they can, but with my dad being an elder, his responsiblities in the KH come first, before his daughter and 2 granddaughters! Well, my mom just paid for 3 roundtrip tickets for me & my daughters to fly to Florida for a 10 day visit. (My husband has to work & can't get the time off) So it's just me and the girls. The thing is my mom & dad know that I haven't gone to the KH in more than 2 years. When they have come to visit here all would go well, they didn't hound me about going to the KH until about 3 days before they are ready to leave, then my mom starts in on her 'guilt tripping'!! (Now that I think back, for my dad being an elder, he was rather quiet while my mom starts in on me!) We then argue and then we don't talk to each other for about 2 months! (It's happened like that twice so far!) She still calls but only to speak to her granddaughters. She also told me that if I send in a DA letter that she would have to never talk to me or the girls again! They were so close to them when they lived here in PA, if they would go for more than two days without visiting them, she would have withdrawls!! I don't want to break the relationship that my girls have with their grandparents, but I know when I get to Florida, the 'guilt trip' will start sometime in the 10 days.

Any ideas on how I can head her off at the pass??? I thought about emailing her and letting her know I wouldn't be attending any meetings and if the girls want to go they can. Oh, my other predicament with the trip is, I've started smoking and I'm not planning on quitting, but I may have to for the 10 days at least!! But of course it seems stress makes me want to smoke!! MOM = STRESS !!

I will be checking out the board as I do most days :-) to see who read my long post and has some ideas!

It's really interesting reading everyone's stories. It seems everyone can relate to their upbringing in the KH in some way or another.

Thanks! Chrissee

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Hi Chrissee! Welcome to the board.

If your relationship with your mom, and between your mom and your kids is an important part of your life, you will have to tread lightly.

She also told me that if I send in a DA letter that she would have to never talk to me or the girls again!

That's really a sad statement for her to make. It's one thing to shun you for your desicion, but to shun your girls too? That's too much. It's emotional blackmail is what it is. Really you can go along with it, or you can stand your ground. By the sound of it, it will hurt them as much as it will hurt you and the girls, are they aware of that?

Does your mom know why you aren't going to meetings anymore? I'd probably try to get ahead of the situation beforehand, but that's just me.

Good luck.

Kwin

• chrissee
    chrissee

Thanks Kwin for posting so quickly. And yes, they do know why I don't go, mostly for the lack of association I felt from the 'friends' at the KH. I felt shunned back then, just because of who I married! (which he is a fabulous husband!)

I know my mom tries to get me to her way of thinking by the 'guilt trip' way. I suppose it worked in the past. My girls are 10 & 11 and I have explained to them why we don't go to the KH anymore, at least what they'll understand. And I did tell my eldest the other day that I know her grandmother is upset that I don't go but the JW way is to shun those who don't go to the KH! She understood, but I don't think she really got it. Although she knows that my parents and I don't talk as much as we used to.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Hi Chrissee, and welcome to the forum.

They really seem inconsistent in their rules, not letting you do a demonstration on the platform with your dad. One sister? in my first hall married a "worldly" guy, and she was allowed to do a demonstration at a circuit assembly a month later.

The threat of shunning your daughters if you DA yourself is emotional blackmail at its worst. There is nothing whatsoever in the scriptures to support shunning someone because of the actions of another. I doubt such nonsense is actually supported (officially) by the watchtower either. What fine christians they are, eh? Following in the footsteps of their exemplar, Jesus! I wonder how many children he shunned?

I can't advise you on what you should do, because you're the one who'll be stuck with the consequenses. I've been taking a no nonsense approach to the shunning policy lately. That means that I won't tolerate a JW who comes to my table in a restaurant to talk to whoever I'm with while shunning me. If someone threatens to withdraw their love or friendship, then I assume the relationship isn't worth salvaging and I write them off. I won't let them toy with me, no matter who they are.

If you're anything like me, your tobacco intake will probably double during the 10 days.

Best of luck to you!

Walter

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

If they invite you to the meetings, politely decline, but state politely that the girls can attend with them if they so wish.

Be polite. Always just be polite.

DY

• chrissee
    chrissee

Thanks for all the input. I still have about 2 weeks til we leave, but I'll have some time to think about my approach. Whether I want to talk to her a little on the phone about it or do I just want to drop the bomb there!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

My mom called me out of the blue a few weeks ago. I guess it was my once-a-year phone call. Since I hadn't talked to her in so long, I wanted to make sure I didn't screw it up, so I tried to appy the things I learned from my last conversations with her. Previously, I would let her know when she made a point I disagreed with, and explain my views. But since Witnesses cannot concede points, the stronger an argument you make, the more awkward a position you put them in.

So this time, when she started talking about "this old system" and how now would be "a good time to come back," I just listened. I didn't agree, but I didn't disagree, either. It was interesting how fast she ran out of steam. After a few minutes, the conversation moved on. We were able to have a nice discussion and no one got their feelings hurt. So I guess what I learned is that you don't need to give in to the urge to respond. I don't know if this helps you at all, but there it is, for what it's worth.

As an interesting aside, I thought about the phrase "a good time to come back" for some time afterward. What, are they having a special? Two-for-one or something? Limited time offer, only three months of isolation before reinstatement?

SNG

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I'm new here too, but where in FL are you going? I live in FL on the east coast of Central FL. If you're coming anywhere nearby it would be a hoot to go out together on a meeting night. LOL.

I think religion aside, the idea of being respectful to your parents holds true here. I deal with this with my own mother. I disagree, always will, but rather than get into hug blow outs and fights, I have found that what works better is just to mentally put her on MUTE and daydream while she natters on. I will never disrespect her as my mother, so treat her as if she has a mental disease and pacify her, appease her, just let her talk. I think of my mom as an alzheimers patient that talks about ridiculous things, you can't talk rationally to someone with mental instability... so that is just how I view it.

• Fleur
    Fleur

ah, the "good time to come back" speech. I've gotten that from my mother non-stop since my grandmother died last month. Same with the relative who preached to me last weekend. That exact phrase.

They must be repeating it verbatim from something in the literature...

to the original poster, my child has had to deal with losing family because they shun her as well as me. It's inhumane. All I can tell you is that you have to reassure your kids that you love them unconditionally, but that you can't control what Grandma and Grandpa do. The sooner they realize that the only people who can control the grandparents behaviour is the grandparents...the better off they'll be.

Having JW family just stinks... :(

hugs

essie

• chrissee
    chrissee
    What, are they having a special? Two-for-one or something? Limited time offer, only three months of isolation before reinstatement?

LOL!

Thanks, SeattleNiceGuy, that's a thought to keep in mind when she is 'talking' though, just listen & don't respond.

I live in FL on the east coast of Central FL. If you're coming anywhere nearby it would be a hoot to go out together on a meeting night. LOL.

And JustTickledPink, I'm going to Bradenton, sorry west coast.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit