Young Brother fell to his death at Bethel in 1974

by AK - Jeff 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Does anyone know of this incident? I knew the family - were told that the fall was an accident - I am not sure of that, I know he was depressed. Any info? Brooklyn Bethel! Anyone there at the time?

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Hi Jeff, There used to be a poster here a while back who wrote about this story here on the forum. She no longer post here though and I am drawing a blank as to her screen name here but I will look for the post.

Edited to add: If FrannieBannie reads this, maybe she can help with the screen name of said poster. All I can remember is her old AOL screen name of Ladyluvsnyt if that will help Frannie recall.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I still haven't found the post yet, but I remember who wrote it if in fact it is the same story. Her screen name was Ravyn. She had also posted about it at H2O.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Ok, I found the post but I don't think it's the same person. Here is the link though in case you want to read it.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/49422/1.ashx

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Wildhorses - Thank you I will check out the link

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It has been five years now since I posted this thread. I talked to a poster here who believes that Jim committed suicide - he was at Bethel at the time and knew Jim. Thought others might have additional information that did not post here five years back. One never knows.

I didn't post many details at the time, but the long and short of it is: His name was Jim Olson. He was 19 at the time of his death. He was from Indiana. Later, his brother Marvin, came to Watchtower farms and stayed for 7 years [1975-1982 circa].

Jim was found between two of the buildings in Brooklyn Bethel. They thought he had been dead for perhaps 3 or 4 days by that time. He had been very depressed, and I am told that he tried to come home a couple times and his dad and mom talked him into finishing his stint. [Wouldn't want to shame the family you know.]

He had been my best friend at the time, but the family basically shut me out in an effort to keep things fairly quiet, or perhaps it was just their way of grieving.

Jim was an odd duck in some ways, but I could never have envisioned him jumping to his death. Now, I believe he did.

Jeff

• cantleave
    cantleave

Very sad.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Ah, Jeff, I'm sorry.

Rest in peace and joy, Jim.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit