Selling it at funerals too!

by wizedup 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wizedup
    wizedup

My husband has an outline for a funeral talk from when he was an elder.

It instructs the speaker, "This talk should provide a fine witness concerning the truth, rather than unduly eulogizing the deceased."

How's that for licking the plate clean?

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

At least most of the elders at the Witness funerals I've been to have had the decency to bend the rules on that one. Can you provide a full page scan?

• wizedup
    wizedup

I tried, but can't make the attatchment "stick". Any suggestions?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

yeah ..the funeral talks have just become a recruiting tool. its disgusting and a very very LOW road for them to take.

• Redneckgurl
    Redneckgurl

I have always noticed that, since I was very young. It is so different when you go to a non-JW funeral, the person is truly recognized for whatever good things they did, the family gets to say goodbye if they want to, and the person is truly honored. It does seem that all they are trying to do is strike a cord with any "worldly" or "inactive" ones that come to these, even announcing that "any one of Jehovah's Witnesses would be happy to assist you with any questions you have". Uh, excuse me, were they just trying to teach something to the non-witnesses there? It's even worse when there are a lot of family members and co-workers there, who are not JW's. People look around to see who is there who might "hear something" that will bring them IN. It sounds more like a Sunday talk than a memorial/funeral service.

Went to one recently at a Baptist church and it was beautiful, had us talking about the person who died and remembering him. His daughter sang a song and people got up to talk about what a great person he was. Isn't that what you are supposed to do when someone dies? Not just try to give a Bible sermon?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

They also have very specific rules on who can do a funeral - who you can do a funeral for - how long it should take -ect - just more legalism at work!

Jeff

• Poztate
    Poztate

"This talk should provide a fine witness concerning the truth, rather than unduly eulogizing the deceased."

How's that for licking the plate clean?

This has gone on for a long time and it is VERY irritating.They spend 10 minutes talking about the person...born,children.where they lived and then they swing into the infomercial

He was very faithful..always put in his 10 hours per month and pioneered from time to time.He brought X numbers into the truth? and always faithfully supported all of the congregation meetings and gatherings.He LOVED the truth? and is looking forward to his reward in the New System? We know many of you here would like to be with him in the new system so after this "memorial" is over please approach any one of the elders to enquire about a "free" study of the books bible in your own home.

They also have very specific rules on who can do a funeral - who you can do a funeral for - how long it should take

In our area as far as I know it is handled an elder only. You will not be allowed on the platform to say anything about the deceased even if you were very close...oh did I mention women...sorry you are even farther down the list. Never would happen at a KH.

Contrast this with what happens at most churches and you can see who really has the right spirit in action.

• shotgun
    shotgun

I can remember our P.O giving a special talk which made it our personal responsibility to provide a good witness by going to a funeral of a young man whom he studied with.

No one knew this man personally as he was a study and had not been to the hall yet but we showed up in force and outnumbered his family and friends.

They must have been pretty confused to learn their son had forsaken Islamic teachings to study about Jah and his visible organization which is led by his invisible son who personally guides the visible remnant of the 144000 with the help of the invisible portion of the 144000 who are in heaven and will rule for a thousand years or maybe more considering some have been in heaven for almost a hundred years now...whew..what a mouthful.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    They must have been pretty confused to learn their son had forsaken Islamic teachings to study about Jah and his visible organization which is led by his invisible son who personally guides the visible remnant of the 144000 with the help of the invisible portion of the 144000 who are in heaven and will rule for a thousand years or maybe more considering some have been in heaven for almost a hundred years now...whew..what a mouthful.

Never mind them....You confused me ....

• wizedup
    wizedup

I remember a funeral at the hall years back. The parents of a 16year old girl who was killed in a car wreck barely made it into the door of the hall due to hysteria over loosing their only child. That behavior was tolerated that night and maybe for a month, but three months later when the mother still couldn't attend a meeting, or sing certain songs without breaking up and running to the ladies room to cry, THIS WAS TOO MUCH!

"Friends" and elders now started making comments about over-grieving and time to move on and have faith in the new system and ressurection from the platform.

I remember her crying about the comments made to her in the ladies room. I hugged her and told her ,"Don't let ANYONE tell you how long you should grieve. You take as long as you need too."

SOOOOO uncompassionate these people are.!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit