fastJehu

@ cantleave

thx for this very interesting video.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe
    Marking for later. Thanks!
  • cantleave
    cantleave
    There is one thing for certain, any challenges that remain are not going to be resolved by religion.
  • DJS
    DJS

Thanks Cantleave,

Priceless gem for Mr. Rosling: "The problem is not lack of knowledge it's preconceived ideas".

Hans Rosling illustrates what the data has clearly shown for decades. Improving life expectancies with access to health care and improved infrastructure such as water/wastewater systems, improving quality of life with a combination of private/public support in jobs and social safety nets and most importantly, improving education and access to education solves a lot of entrenched problems such as poverty, childbirth rates, crime, etc.

Imagine that.

Priceless gem from Mr. Kenny: Increased beer consumption is a sign of better times.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

splash, "Living standards increasing all over the world"

.... and especially so in Syria, Iraq, Northern Nigeria and other vast areas under IS attack ...........

• DJS
    DJS

TOH,

I'm not certain what it is you are trying to say, but it comes across as irrational knee jerk cherry picking responses to the anomalous and the abhorrent. Kinda like someone who won't fly because when jets crash people die, even though flying is the safest form of transportation. Or the irrational responses to vaccinations by some, even though vaccinations are the most studied issue in history and there has been no linkage from vaccines to the types of hysterical accusations by Jenny McArthy and the other You Tube types. Bad things sometimes happen. Overall, the planet is improving by almost every important standard or measure. If that isn't what you are trying to say please say it more succinctly.

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore
    Saw this on the TV when it was aired. Was a good watch ☺
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Hans Rosling is an excellent speaker. I'm always envious of people who have this skill as I suck at presenting.

When I was in school, I was pretty good at math. I applied my skills to what the Jehovah's Witnesses were claiming... that they were preaching to all the inhabited Earth.

Now as a kid, we all have a pretty good BS Meter. This claim was setting mine off big time. 

It is mathematically impossible for 7 million JWs to preach to over 7 billion people in the world. The math just doesn't add up. Coupled with the fact that JWs aren't in all countries and that some countries have been avoided by the Watchtower shows this isn't happening either. 

Indigenous tribes of people continue to be discovered that were previously unknown. For generations these people have been born, lived their lives, and died without ever hearing 'the good news of God's Kingdom' from a JW. They've never heard of Jesus either.

To me, this just illustrates the ridiculous claims from religion. 

Hans' stats do the same. Religions fear monger... they try to tell us things are bad so you better sign up with God/Jesus to be saved. And give us your money. 

No. Sign up to do something constructive and positive for the world (like Taslima in the video).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Is Rosling a Douglas Adams fan?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit