Who is the greatest sports anti-hero of all time?

by ColdRedRain 29 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby
    OJ. Duh?

Your like.....25, and you remember OJ?

#22....I remember . Funny thing is.....some still like the guy.

Gumby

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

I have a few:

Kenny Stabler, Pete Rose(I don't personnally like, but he got the job done), Gordie Howe (Just got washed into the shadows by 99)

CC

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Of the last couple of years, I'd say Tie Domi, I'm not a Leafs fan but for a thug, he's really been smacking the puck around.

Of the past 15 years I'd say Dennis Rodman and Mike Tyson.

Babe Ruth was quite the rebel as I recall so he may be my 15+ years selection.

Kwin

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Yankees come to mind.

• Preston
    Preston

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ty Cobb. I mean he was baseball's first millionaire, raked up the highest number of hits until Pete Rose, and completed his career with the highest career batting average but he was also viciously bigoted, violently racist and extremely sociopathoic. Ty Cobb was the strangest of all of our sports idols:

* After he lost a batting title to a player on another team, his own teammates sent a letter of congratulations to the player who beat him

* He stabbed a black night watchman

* He beat up a handicapped heckler in the stands

* he would slide feet first with the intent of spiking basemen with his spikes

* When he was diagnosed with tonsilitis the day of an exhibition game, he had his tonsils taken out by a quack doctor, and played later that day.

* He was hated by everyone who knew him with the exception of the 2 or three of his former teammates who showed up to his funeral.

I think his attitude was primarily a reflection of his upbringing and racial conciousness. His own father was shot and killed by his own mother out of self-defense. As for playing ability he wasn't a person with great playing ability or talents, he was a great player because he did everything by will, he willed himself to a great ballplayer but I think his crimes overshadow his playing ability. He's the big black mark on baseball.

• poppers
    poppers

I have to agree with Preston on this one - Ty Cobb was one mean SOB who was hated by virtually everyone, but he could play baseball like no other.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Tyson was who I thought of first. He's a rapist, wife-beater, and he bit another man's ear off!

• troucul
    troucul

I think you are correct, confused. Tony Eason was in the same class as Marino and Elway, and honestly, I think they horded the talent from that class. Grogan was one tough SOB though. He was one of the, if not the last QB to actually call his own plays during the game. Occasionally you'll see it from time to time these days, but they normally radio in the plays from the OC nowadays. If I'm not mistaken, it was Grogan who actually threw the Pat's only touchdown in '85.

As far as Cobb, didn't he pistol whip someone to death?

Enos Slaughter was known for sliding in spikes up also. That's why he got a fastball in the mouth from Jackie Robinson during a double play ball the following season.

• troucul
    troucul

oh and then there was Tony Twist,(I forget who he play(ed) for). His sole purpose was to punish the other team by crotch-checking someone into the boards if one of his team mates got taken out.

• hd1gator
    hd1gator

Mike Tyson, hands down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit