How Did YOU Leave The Organization??

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Got divorced, and found that I was much too lazy to go the meetings. Much rather hang out with friends or work.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Had a "religious experience", two months later decided to leave on doctrinal grounds and so investigated the WTS and found & joined this site.
    A further two months and I started making some non-JW friends, and yet another two months would pass (six months total) before I would DA myself after my Public Talk.

I can hardly believe it's nearly three years ago. It's beginning to feel like a distant memory!

• gumby
    gumby

I walked straight out of Bethel that evening Leo Grennlees told me he didn't love me anymore.

And I ain't goin back now!!!

*shouts real loud leaning forward*

Gumby

• JeffT
    JeffT

A year of growing doubts, followed by almost a year of research and organizing our thoughts in a DA letter. Mrs. T and I cut our ties to the WTBS on March 18, 1989.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Had doubts before I even got wet from the heavily bleached water. I could've came out of that water white and blonde.....the stench from the clorox was that strong.

Tried very hard to believe but couldn't bend my mind to that degree.

Finally came to a head when I'd decided to go back to school and I had the PO and one of his cronies in my home telling me that I was wasting my time. I knew then that I'd want no part of a religion that demanded that much control over me.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I did not - YET

• bagpuss
    bagpuss

Non of these really Minimus. For over two years before I left I'd been suffering from depression and having real doubts about the org. last summer (July 2003) my depression got much worse and I attended my last meeting that month. There was no real decision, no agonizing, it really just sort of happened!! When I began to get better and my head began to clear I knew I couldn't go back nor did I want to. During the roughest time of my life I found I had real friends who got me through it and not one of them was a jw.

There have been no visits from elders even though they knew how I was feeling. In my cong it seems that depression is an embarrassment (unless you have an elder in the family)

So in some ways my leaving was easy compared to some of you. I would never want to become that depressed again but I'm happier now than I've been in years.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Littletoe

"before I would DA myself after my Public Talk."

Explain?

• Tim Horton
    Tim Horton

Can you ever really leave? I'm starting to wonder. They have a pretty damn firm grip on people. Panther

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

It's explained if you click on the link that he provided. It leads to his website where you can listen to and read the public talk he gave in which he made many very good points about how the WTBS is like the Pharisees and they need to be more like Christ by having love. And at the end he stated that he was stepping down as elder and removing himself from the organization.

LittleToe, I am very impressed by the way that you did this. To do it in a public talk takes balls man! Not only that but to do it so calmly and level headed when so many things have gone wrong to bring you to this conclussion, well, that was also impressive. If it were me I very well may have started yelling or being sarcastic, which would've defeated the purpose of doing that publically. They would've dragged me off the stage. :)

And your DA letter was also very well written. I LOVE how you pointed out that Rutherford had said that new truths can NEVER contradict previous known truths and how you pointed out that their flip-flopping on what is sinful now and what is not seems less like new light and more like a strobe. VERY well done. You have my respect and if I was there you would've had my appluase.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit