Best to worst...... as far as religions go.

by formerout 14 Replies latest jw friends

• formerout
    formerout

I have spent a fair amount of time in court lately. Lawyers and their so-called absolute "logic" is interesting. They lie and call it "justified reasoning" in order to comply with their most important oath of doing the best for their client, axe murderer or not. It's a lot like "Theocratic Warfare Strategy".

That having been said, it proves a point that people can justify anything. IMO, some religions exonerate completely dysfunctional people that are a severe threat to others. Others, while still being less than perfect in their teachings, teach people to accept responsibility for their own actions and not only condemn these dysfunctional people but more importantly help to heal them as well.

Based on that, what do you think are the best and worst religions? Feel free to name as few or as many as you feel appropriate.

Brad

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I don't think it's about the teachings or how they're 'imperfect' at all. (by the way, have you noticed the imperfect thing as a JW conditioning?) I don't think naming particular religions promote any understanding, but I will say that if you're concerned with numbers and converting people, rather than recognizing that each mature individual has responsibility for themselves, then the way is open for a religion to get fat.

In fact, I think a big part of the problem is there is no recognition of a maturation process, there's just this membership business, getting them to be 'one of us.' And of course, if there's no recognition of that there's likely no recognition of mature individuals, so following the pattern of getting fat you are likely to get a leader who is real good in that regard, but again no depth - just width.

• formerout
    formerout

Mark,

You seem to be missing my point. I'm not asking the question in order to condemn. I'm asking it in order to understand condemnation more myself.

I will say that if you're concerned with numbers and converting people, rather than recognizing that each mature individual has responsibility for themselves, then the way is open for a religion to get fat. .

What are you actually trying to suggest with that comment? You are taking a quote from me..."while still being less than perfect in their teachings, [the better religions] teach people to accept responsibility for their own actions" and then suggesting that your exact same theory is right and mine is wrong.... what's up with that? We make accusations and judgements every day. It is part of human nature. My point is that they can be to help or just to accuse. It's kind of like the schools have had up lately..."are you a tattle-tale or just trying to help?"... a tattle-tale tries to get people into trouble... but somenoe trying to help tries to get them OUT of trouble.

Mark, correct me if I have seen it in a light different from your own, but yours doesn't seem too bright...

Brad

• Carmel
    Carmel

Best= Sabianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Judiasm, Christianity, Islam, Baha'i

Worst= All pretenders not to exclude Russellism, Rutherfordism, FDSism and Jimmy Jonesism.

carmel

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain
    Best= Sabianism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Judiasm, Christianity, Islam, Baha'i

Isn't this the same religion whose mainstream followers believe in the killing of people who aren't muslim?

• ignored_one
    ignored_one
    Isn't this the same religion whose mainstream followers believe in the killing of people who aren't muslim?

Yes. Apparently it's all Muslims think about.

-

Ignored One.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It's human nature to try to act right, but generally have a warped view of what "right" is.

I think most people consider that they are doing their best, regardless of religious persuasion.
    To that end I can't really propose a particular group.

Fundamentalists of any religion (and to which I would add militant atheists) can have a detrimental effect on any society. They seem to find it difficult to understand that others can take the same facts and interpret them differently, and that this is normal and actually ok.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I would say that the "best" religions are those which encourage their members to be better humans, by which I mean to act with humane compassion toward others. I seem to see this more in liberal religions than in fundamentalist religions. Recognizing that Jesus was a liberal Jew who taught that observing minute rules were not as important as treating each other lovingly, I see liberal Christianity as superior to fundamentalist Christianity. Jesus stopped a group of fundamentalists from KILLING a woman suspected of adultery, even though it was within the letter of Jewish law. Liberals seem to promote treating each other in a more loving manner, while fundamentalists seem more preoccupied with observing rules and punishing those who break rules. I also recognize that there are liberal Muslims and fundamentalist Muslims, and can see which ones are creating all the news (hint: not the liberal Muslims).

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Brad,

Rest assured that I was not speaking about you. In fact, generally speaking I do not discuss things in a personal sense on this board, but rather more generally and in terms of principle. Even if it addresses something that might be taken personally, I tend to just break it down in terms of what is said and have no interest in the personal aspect one way or the other. When I said:

I will say that if you're concerned with numbers and converting people, rather than recognizing that each mature individual has responsibility for themselves, then the way is open for a religion to get fat.

I was not talking about you, I was referring to religions like the JWs which emphasize proselytizing and membership.

As for the comment about the idea of being imperfect, I was trying to point out how the idea of being imperfect itself likely comes from the JW indoctrination - which is again nothing against you, but just think about how much they talk about being imperfect and use that as an excuse, JW thinking is pretty big on the idea.

You see I don't think in terms of perfect or imperfect, and I understand even people who were never JWs will say things like "none of us are perfect." But since we're mostly exJWs here I said that in order to point out something subtle which may have been influenced by JW thinking that you and others may not be aware of. I don't think it would be some kind of failing on your part, but just perhaps something you haven't noticed.

But as far as the point itself, I think it's important to point out that the idea of perfect or imperfect implies a static standard of judgement, and I think it's more about the intent than comparing yourself to some standard. But if you are going to judge something on a functional level (as opposed to any kind of finger pointing of someone being bad or wrong) then it just makes sense to break it down and look at how it works, which is of course why I said I myself prefer not to name particular religions but discuss that dynamic and let people consider the process of analysis for themselves. (so for that matter it doesn't matter if the idea of perfection comes from the JWs, I just used that as an attention getter) However I do think it does go deeper than the teachings, because it is about the people and how they treat each other, and of course those in a position of leadership have a more profound influence on others. And even beyond that you might say it isn't about the form of the religion at all, but whether that collective entity recognizes and values the living intelligence from which the religion came out of in the first place and encourages that in people, as opposed to sticking to the letter of the law so to speak.

Sorry for any confusion, I am not always sensitive to the different ways of what I write can be taken as I am mainly focused on the topic than any personal interpretation of it.

• delayed return
    delayed return

Greetings.

I think all religions are a blight upon the earth. There is no evidence of a God existing, and so belief in any religion is illogical and founded upon nothing more than desperate longing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit