Depression & Jehovah's Witnesses

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

You see, in Witnessthink, JWs are easy to mold, especially if they're depressed, hurt or questioning. Then once they get'em----they're easy.

• wizedup
    wizedup

MINIMUS says: Old time Witnesses feel going to "worldly" therapists is wrong and if they did go, they would make sure that they said nothing to make "Jehovah's name" look bad. OUCH! You hit a nerve!!! When I was in therapy for the abuse of my X, I just couldn't bring myself to tell the whole truth about the elder's part in bringing me to this breaking point due to FEAR of bringing reproach on Jehovah's name. I lost so much valuable time ( not to mention money) in therapy getting help for only half truths. I could have been treated in half the time. My husband (fiance at the time) kept telling me, "Jehovah can take care of his OWN name, YOU tell the truth!" Finally he came with me and laid all the cards on the table. The therapist told me she has more witness patients than I could imagine. Of course I didn't believe her. Lesson learned! Truth is what it is whether we choose to believe it or not. We can only benefit ourselves by being honest to ourself first, then speak truth to others. Only in that way can we be true to a God ot truth and heal ourself. If the WTBS is a shining light as it boasts to be, why would we have to hide it under a rock to spare others of it's "brightness" and PROTECT them? Jehovah needs protecting by US????

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

On the one hand, the Society asserts that Jehovah's Witnesses are among the healthiest of persons from a psychological standpoint while, on the other, some psychologists and psychiatrists claim that they suffer from a disproportionately high degree of mental illness.

Blueblades

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

The characteristic factor that leads to depression and a degree of mental illness, is the Society's view of the doctrine of self - sacrifice.

Zealous Pioneers have on many occasions sacrificed both their physical and mental health out of a spirit of devotion to God, when really it was to the Watchtower.

Some elders and publishers give of themselves to the point of exhaustion, again for the Watchtower.

This can be the cause of serious mental stress among the most devout JW.

Then there is the attitude of super - pietism that has a detrimental effect on the person manifesting this and of persons who are objects of over - righteousness.

Blueblades

• heart2heart
    heart2heart

This is something very personal for me. I have been fighting with anxiety since a child and seem to be prone to depression because of a lack of self-esteem and being very self-conscious. When I found "the truth" at 15, I thought it was the answer to my prayers. At the time perhaps it was, it distracted me for a while, made me happy, gave me answers I needed at the time. But as the years went on, my anxiety problems became much worse, something I was dealing with almost everyday; and I became more and more depressed because I always felt so much pressure to be the perfect wife, mother, Christian, to do more in service, to be studying with my children... physically I was so worn out from taking care of a house, a husband, and two very active young children, emotionally and mentally I was worn out from the same plus the burden of preparing for meetings, and trying to pay attention while taking care of the kids, trying to keep them quiet. Felt like it was such a chore, but I had to go or else I would feel so guilty! Dealing with my feelings about Kwin leaving the org. 2 years ago, my depression became even worse to the point that I was exhausted in every way possible, I had no energy to take care of the kids or the house, to go out, to go to meetings, (I know some of it was because I was battling within myself about WTS doctrine and practices, and didn't want to acknowledge any problems there) - my doctor said I was depressed, needed to get out more, exercise, etc. In the past year or so, I started realizing that my problems with anxiety were not normal, and that I could not deal with them on my own. I did some research and found out that I have some kind of anxiety disorder so I finally went to my doctor. She agreed to refer me to a psychiatrist (I don't see her until January), and after talking to me about my symptoms and triggers (she already knew about my bouts of depression), she gave me a prescription for generalized/social anxiety, and depression. Just before I went to the doctor, I had been doing my research into the WTS and came to conclusions about it not being the truth, I prayed about it a lot, and I felt such CALM! (Normally, I tried not to think too much about spiritual things because it would get me into a terrible panic; so this was a huge thing for me, which helped me to know it was the right thing to leave). So, before the meds had even kicked in, I already was feeling a lot of relief just by taking the mental step to look into my doubts and fears about the WTS. The depression side of it has cleared up completely, and the meds have helped out tremendously with the anxiety. I actually feel alive for maybe the first time, but so much more alive since I left the WTS than I ever thought I could be. I agree with others who have posted in other topics about feeling so much "lighter". I have never smiled so much and laughed so much, I have so much more patience now too, and I'm not scared anymore - the WTS' doctrines about Armageddon and martyrdom made me very nervous. I'm glad I woke up and took an honest look into what I was putting so much faith in. The blinders have come off, and so has that heavy heavy "yoke" I carried for those 8 years.

Happy to be me!

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

The Society tells us that any suffering from pyschological problems, must be because of some kind of sin and or demon activity.

Blueblades

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

When a witness is deeply depressed because of some physical ailment and goes to his elders for some counsel, what do the elders do? Frequently thay will question him/her to determine whether he has been practicing some secrect sin, failing in Bible reading and or study, meeting attendance, door to door ministry, or some demonic hex. This kind of treatment only adds to the mental strain and depression the witness is suffering.

Blueblades

• minimus
    minimus

Heart2heart---Thanks for sharing!!!! Your example proves just getting out of the Watchtower cloud can make you feel better......Blue, great posts! It's true, the elders will go thru the checklist to see why you're depressed. Duh!!

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Thanks Minimus. Another reason for depression among JW'S is the teaching of "GUILT". The highers standards put upon the rank and file by the Society causes greater psychological pressure.

The high level of Christian conduct in families, daily lives and personality has to be maintained. You cannot think a wrong thought without feeling guilty.

You cannot allow yourself to become unbalanced, overly despondant just because perfection cannot be attained in mind body and thought. Trying so hard to please Jehovah = Watchtower they become depressed / mentally ill.etc.

Blueblades

• Valis
    Valis

After suffering years of abuse by their JW elder father, my mom's side of the family has all had bouts of depression. Even their children have been affected. One of them committed suicide in a standoff with the SWAT team and I always remember when I went to my aunt's house and saw the pickle jar full of lithium. The Irving Texas congregation she went to really treated her badly and didn't help her with the severe depression she was having. Actually they made things much worse and harrassed her about meeting attendance and problems with her kids. Huge dysfunctional messes all round.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit