Non-JW teacher needing advice

by Teacher 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Teacher
    Teacher

Hi there, I'm new to the board and have turned here for advice. I am a new teacher and have a child in my class who is a JW. As I know nothing about the religion I thought I would ask here.

I am aware that he will not be able to take part in RE or religious assemblies or Christmas activities. With his last teacher they were studying MacBeth and his parents would not let him do it as it had witches in it. However, he was permitted to watch a panto with a witch in it.

As he cannot take part in the Christmas activities I was going to give him the book on tape of Lord of the rings, as I felt he would really enjoy it. He said that because it involved magic he could not, however, he can read the Lion the WITCH and the wardrobe.

I'm a bit confused and would be greatful if anyone could point me in the direction to get some information on this. I do not wish to disrespect his religion, as I have a great interest in different religions as a whole. The lavel of knowledge on this thoughout the school is shocking when we consider that every class has at least 1 JW in it, any help?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Most here are ex-Witnesses and strongly disagree with the JW faith. Are you aware of that?

I myself am still a Witness, though a reluctant one at the moment.

In any case, people here will be able to help you I am sure.

About what things witnesses can and can't partake in - it really is erratic and varies from Witness to Witness. You just need to get to know them as individuals and try not to allow them to feel excluded in school. If they want to sit apart then allow them, but don't make a fuss about it because it makes them feel bad. Don't ask them if they want to join in - just assume that they do unless they tell you otherwise. That would be my advice. Sometimes shy and reluctant Witnesses like myslef would have preferred if the teachers had not made such a fuss and said "Oh, but you won't be taking part in this I suppose, will you?" whenever something came up, as if they were doing me a favour.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I'm a bit confused

Yes, JWs can be a bit difficult to figure out.

A good site to look at to see quotes from their literature regarding their different teachings is: http://quotes.watchtower.ca/

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Well for starters, you must understand that JWs are a cult. This is not an everyday religion. Although most cult-members of ANY cult will say they are NOT a cult. But JWs are. The majority of us on this board are former members that are recovering from the damage this cult has inflicted on us and our family members. Many of their beliefs contradicts itself from year to year. You are taught to fear anything in "the world" (meaning: anything NOT JW). You are taught that unless you are a JW, you will die in Armageddon - the end of the world as we know it. You are taught that people will think you're a cult. You are taught that every holiday has a pagan meaning and if you celebrate it, you are allowing Satan the Devil to get a foothold into your life. You are taught that the Bible is the inspired word of God...but they have their own bible that reads differently than any other bible you'll read.

This is just a starting point. I'll not hog the comments and let other people contribute.

Otherwise, welcome to the board. I know as a child, I loved teachers like you that reached out to me, despite the strange religion I was involved in. Keep your students loving and trusting you. You'll be amazed at how you can impact them even years down the road.

Andi

• Valis
    Valis

The best thing you can do for the lad is get him an present or gift that won't get him questioned by his parents when he gets home. I was that my way all my life, until of course I could get away with lying to my parents and did what I wanted to anyway. That is no way for a child to have to behave IMO. So, get him a nice plate of holiday goodies from the party so he can at least enjoy his time in the cafeteria while the rest of the class parties. AND a nondescript unwrapped gift. Maybe even give him the gift at the end of class the day before the party. That's really all you can do besides feel sorry for him.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Triple A
    Triple A

Wow, now that is love. Billygoat and Valis both show a compasion that could save this child down the road. Hope you well share their comments with the other teachers.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Valis, I really like your idea. If the child can get a gift also but seperate from the class it will make him feel better about the whole thing. I don't care what anyone says, kids need to feel accepted and I believe this would do just that.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

The lavel of knowledge on this thoughout the school is shocking when we consider that every class has at least 1 JW in it, any help?

I am little surprised that the school board which you work for would not have their own policy which has been approved by the school board legal staff with rules to follow regarding this situation. I would suggest you start with your school board as there may be some legal ramifications to your question and the advice which you seek.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

At least 1 Witness child in every class? How big are the classes? If there are around 30 (as they are where I live) then that means that you have a very high witness:public ratio indeed. Are you from Saint Helena, Zambia or Gaudeloupe?

• jgnat
    jgnat

There are so many rules, and they change from year to year. It is very confusing, even for those in the organization. The litmus test is whether the activity has "pagan origins".

Events not celebrated:
    Mother's day (glorifying the individual)
    Halloween (ghosts and demons)
    Birthdays (glorifying the individual)
    ...but many liberal JW's have a "special day" NOT on the birthday for their child. So the advice from Valis and Billygoat is wonderful. Find a modest, non-showy way to acknowledge the child.
    Thanksgiving (Nation-sponsored event, not a Biblical holiday)
    Veterans Day (glorifying war)
    Christmas (Pagan origin)
    St. Patrick's day (Pagan origin)
    Valentine's day (Pagan origin) (But oddly, many JW's I know are OK with this holiday, go figure)

Other don'ts:
    Don't "associate" with worldly classmates out of school hours
    Don't salute the flag or stand for an anthem (glorifying the Nation rather than God)
    Don't spend too much time in extracurricular activities, though this is loosening up some (takes time away from God)
    Alcohol (for adults) is OK, but cigarette smoking is very, very bad.

So, essentially, the school calendar pits the child up against his or her beliefs all through the year. I believe this is intentional, as the organization wants an isolated, loyal follower for life. I have watched a vignette where a father play acted a mild lecture to his son who had skipped class to go to the mall. (JW's are big on mild lectures) The great sin the son committed was that he "associated" with worldly classmates. From the vignette it was clear that it is this "bad association" is what leads to all other evil things including drug use, unplanned pregnancies, and final death from AIDS.

So don't feel too bad if you slip up once in a while, the rules are designed for failure. The most important thing is not to ridicule the child for his or her beliefs. Their life is hard enough as it is. The best thing to do is ask, and make the child part of the planning on how to accommodate his beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit