I go to Court tomorrow for Sole Custody..... I'm excited but scared too!!!!

by formerout 20 Replies latest social family

• formerout
    formerout

I am writing this partly to get straight in my mind how I want to present my material tomorrow, since I am representing myself. But I would also love any advice that you may have to help me (other than get a lawyer.... lol... not an option unfortunately).

My ex-wife and I got separated on April 24, 2003. I spent over $12,500.00 on lawyers just to get to see my kids. She tried everything in the book to try to prevent me from seeing them, including lying to the police and having me thrown in jail for a night, calling Children's Aid on me 9 times, (all not substantiated), and most recently by trying to hire someone to beat me up.

We ended up having a Settlement Conference on June 22, 2004, from which twenty-nine different orders were made, including Joint Custody with Primary Residence with her, that my children were ordered to not go to the Kingdom Hall anymore, access times, support, not moving away, etc.

She has moved a half an hour away. She has been continuing to let her mother take the children to the KH. I could go on, but the last straw to make me go for Sole Custody (or alternatively I have simply asked for Primary Residence to be switched to my house) was when she broke another promise that she would not switch the kids' school (I have four kids all Grade 5 and under and she promised to bring them to school when she came into town for work.)

Another big issue that I have to get resolved is that she has, for the past year and a half, continuously emotinally blackmailed my oldest son especially into hating me. She seems to think that that is a good thing for him. If I was a not so-good dad, it would still not be good for him to hate his own father but the fact is that everybody else realizes (including myself ;) ) that I am a great father. I got an Affidavit today from her that said that I have grabbed my son by the neck and dragged him into my van for the visits. I cannot fathom how anybody can tell such an absolutely grotesque lie and use the Court System to try to keep him from me, but she seems to have little or no conscience.

I have to get back to organizing my thoughts and notes for tomorrow, but that's a bit of a start of what I am up against. I just hope that the Judge can realize that the truth is NOT anywhere near the middle of our two stories. If anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Brad

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Smile, be kind, be sure to take deep breaths before answering and not reacting to whatever she throws at you.

Best of luck tomorrow.

*give them enough rope and they will hang themselves* Let your x wife look like the person she is.

Joy

• nilfun
    nilfun

I remember how nervous I was the first time I had to go to court regarding custody issues. I've had to go back many times since, and I feel just as nervous/scared as I did the first time (and I never had to represent myself, so I can only imagine how you're feeling right now).

I'm sure you are already well-prepared... good documentation of your ex's violations of the previous orders of the court, etc...

Remember to breathe, and I'll be sending some positive vibes your way tomorrow.

(do you think it would help to have another custody evaluation?)

Good luck!

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

I got an Affidavit today from her that said that I have grabbed my son by the neck and dragged him into my van for the visits. I cannot fathom how anybody can tell such an absolutely grotesque lie and use the Court System to try to keep him from me, but she seems to have little or no conscience.

Good luck to you Brad. I recognize this behavior in my ex as well. It did not get better rather it got worse over the years. By the time my sons were teenagers she had tried to convince the entire neighborhood and Police of these types of claims. The police ended up interviewing our teenage sons who were physically being prevented from their access visits. She would allow me to drive 4.5 hours just to have them hidden at freinds houses. When the Police interviewed the children they found out that their Mom was completely inventing these stories and in fact the children had been threatened with severe grounding and violence by their Mom if they came for their visit.

Youth Protection ended up intervening over time and my ex was subsequently diagnosed with a psychological disorder. I would not be surprised if your ex suffers from one as well based on some of your comments.

My ex did some of the things you mentioned including having me put in jail. Once, I drove 4.5 hours to get my kids and a Police cruiser was waiting for me at the other end. A Police officer claimed he had received information that I was transporting drugs and that I was a drug smuggler. He searched my car, cuffed me and detained me in a holding cell for 2 hours after strip searching me. Unfortunately it was a small town and he was the only cop on duty at the time so it was easy for him to abuse his authority like this. When he released me from the cell he told me that I should not be coming around and harrassing my ex. Unfortunately he had been told that I did not have a right of access and I learned from that day on to always keep a copy of the court order in my glove compartment. Naturally, when I was released and returned to the children's residence a sarcastic note was waitng for me saying that I was late and had disappointed the children. I had to drive home empty handed - a very lonely drive. The next day my attorney's contacted the Police Chief in that small town and notified them they would be sued for interfering in a Court ordered access for no good reason. The Police officer ended up being fired.

So I know how you feel about some of these issues. Please feel free to PM me if you need someone to be a kind ear for you to vent to.

I just hope that the Judge can realize that the truth is NOT anywhere near the middle of our two stories

You are right in this fear as many Family Court Judges employ "Jesuit reasoning". They assume that everyone is a huge liar in Family Court. When issues are contentious they figure the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. This is particularly dangerous when one party acts and lies without scruples or conscience.

If I had advice it would be to stay focused on your children's best interests no matter what. If she is engaging in malicious behavior which is designed to alienate the children from a loving parent then hopefully the Judge will see this sooner or later. Based on what you have said, you may have a good chance of the Judge recognizing the danger.

• gdt
    gdt

'malicious mother syndrome' is on the Google search, with 18000 odd pages of all the awful things mothers do who have been offended etc etc.....worth a check and maybe reference exactly what has happened. At least something in black and white which you could refer to. Is it worth a talk with the ones who know you both from the congrtegation for a bit of independent oversight? Or do you feel it wouldn't be 'independent'? Nothing like having someone with authority to help anyone be sure to tell the truth (as seen to each one), even elders, who are not all like the ones talked about by some here.

Some other kind advice is given here, and nice to see. In my opinion, not all though. Cheers, gdt, hoping for ustice and truth and fairness to prevail.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

It is so sad when adults' need outweigh the real needs of a child. It seems to happen so often in divorce and custody situations when one parent uses the children as a weapon against the other.

I hope it works out for you and for your children. With all due respect, they've been through a lot already and whatever the outcome, I hope that you continue to keep their welfare foremost.

Good luck.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie
    Another big issue that I have to get resolved is that she has, for the past year and a half, continuously emotinally blackmailed my oldest son especially into hating me. She seems to think that that is a good thing for him. If I was a not so-good dad, it would still not be good for him to hate his own father but the fact is that everybody else realizes (including myself ;) ) that I am a great father. I got an Affidavit today from her that said that I have grabbed my son by the neck and dragged him into my van for the visits. I cannot fathom how anybody can tell such an absolutely grotesque lie and use the Court System to try to keep him from me, but she seems to have little or no conscience.

grr, this just plain gives a bad name to women who are honestly seeking support! You seem like a very nice and loving father, and for her to stoop so low as to lie about physical force is beyond me!

No conscience is right! I hope so much that you get sole custody of your babies, because i know you will raise them better

• anuva
    anuva

your fight is representing all good people outside WTBTS, keep the faith , and go ahead

best of luck.

May divine force be with you

anuva

• franklin J
    franklin J

good luck brad,

I wish you the best in this encounter. I have small children also and understand how devasting this must be for you.

good luck, Frank

• formerout
    formerout

Thanks all, for your concern, advice and support, especially Stef..... .

Well, I didn't lose today. I didn't win the war yet (no I don't consider it or treat it like a war, quite the opposite, but for the sake of that saying.. you know... ), but I did win a little battle.

Her lawyer approached me before we went into the Court and said that there was a date open on January 7th for this to be heard and also one on Jan 14th and since he likes to be a cooperative person he is willing to take the earliest of those two dates. (My affidavit plainly stated that this was an urgency issue because my ex is planning to switch the kids in the schools on Monday.) Thanks to years of being one while I was a JW it is fortunate that I f***ing hate hypocrites. He pretends he's being nice. LMAO

So I put that in my back pocket and played along. I asked him if Mr. Justice Heeney would be available for that date since I felt it would be best for the same Judge that presided over our Settlement Conference to hear these new arguments. He said condescendingly, "that's not how it works. It just gets put in front of whichever Judge is sitting that day. Besides if that were the case I would not allow it to be put in front of Justice Heeney since he has bias."

I lost my pleasant demeanor, glared him sternly in the eyes and said, "I don't think any Judge here would like to know that you called them biased."

He became frustrated, lost his composure, and proceeded to speak nonsense that was going nowhere. I said, "Mr. Garlough, this legal pushing and shoving aside," gesturing with my hands to acknowledge that I was willing to admit that I was just as guilty, "my Affidavits mentioned in great detail the concerns that I have for what is happening to my children. How can we deal with that today?" He retorted, "I'm not going to talk about that now," as if my kids didn't matter. I cut him off before he finished by saying, "Then we are going in front of the Judge today to let the Judge decide!"

He tried to stare me down with an "I'm gonna kick your ass in there look" but I knew I had already half-won the battle. A few minutes later when we were called in I was still fired up but in complete control of my emotions.

The Judge made it apparent that it was not going to be able to be heard today, not by words but she looked like she wanted us out in five minutes. About 50 people were in the Courtroom. I asked if she had had time to read the Affidavits in a tone that allowed her to realize that it was 100% OK with me if she had had more urgent things to attend to. She hadn't read a thing.

I changed my strategy. I had to get the best that I could get. I knew I wasn't going to get it all then. I reminded her of the urgency of the matter and said, "Never mind, for a moment, about the numerous orders that have been broken. The real reason I'm here today on an urgency matter is that not only was the Applicant not supposed to move but she had promised me that she would not move the children from their present school. I was willing to wait another month and suffer the commute in order to bring forward the motion to vary after the six-month non-urgency waiting period. Then but I found out last Tuesday that she is planning on pulling them out of their school on Friday."

She looked to him. He asked again her for a Jan. 7th date and threw in another lie gratis my ex: "Your Honour, my client has been informed by the Principal that she cannot keep the kids in that school."

She was writing so I patiently waited knowing that it was my God-damn Motion so I get another shot at her. She asked me if I was OK with Dec 1st. I said, "Yes I am Your Honour but I would like an opportunity to make a response to Mr. Garlough's last comment." She said to go ahead. "Your Honour, I received their responding Affidavit on Monday night in which it stated that the Principal would not allow the children to stay in the school. I attended at the school yesterday morning and spoke to Mr. Boate, the Principal. He informed me that he is obviously a very busy person and does not really want to be subpoenaed but that if he was under oath in a Courtroom, this is what he would say that he told my ex-wife: Number one - She asked me if the kids could stay in the school and I told her that we try our best to be accomodating and since the children started school here this year that they could indeed stay in the school for the remainder of the year. Number two - If she was going to move to St. Thomas, considering the drive and winter coming up it would be best if she did move them to a school in St. Thomas. Number three - That the most reasonable time to transfer the kids was either at the end of a term, which is Friday, or during the Christmas Break." I cut myself off there, fighting the urge to give her my opinion.

She took another few seconds to write, looked up and said, "Adjourned until Dec. 1st and the children are to remain in the school that they are presently attending until a further Order changes that." (As she said "the children are to remain..." she looked at my ex's lawyer and gave him that look that you give someone right after you feel like you shoved their bullshit in their face. Woohoo!!!!)

We left right after each other I called to him..... he gave me a F*CK YOU look and refused to speak to me. I fought back the urge to say anything in reaction to his rudeness... and believe me I really had to fight it.... lol.... this guy seems like a real a**hole and I don't want to do anything other than get what I want.

So I have to wait a week but the kids can't be transferred until another Judge decides.... that could be awhile.. hopefully the end result is my house being the Primary Residence or me getting Sole Custody. I will allow access to my ex-wife quite freely but she has proven that she can't be trusted to look out for what's best for the kids.

I know this was a long post, so if you read all the way through, thanks...... I feel great and needed to share. And I wanted to let everyone know that being honest and looking out for the kids' interests pays off.

Brad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit