Only in America....?

by core 11 Replies latest jw friends

• core
    core

Much said here recently re the World at large and how it views the US - not too favorably overall - however - must make this point - President Bush has just announced his intention to have as Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice - now for me that is amazing and a credit to the American system - she is from a poor, black American background, was rejected years ago in the south by the Democrats - yet by hard work she has risen to the very top - cant see that happening in similar circumstances here in the UK - clearly one difference between us is that hard work can get rewarded in the US. A further note - seeing President Bush introduce her when announcing his intention to put her nomination forward, I for one was struck by his apparent absolute admiration for this lady, for once he had no smirk as she spoke, rather he looked on her with evident pride and respect. Not a fan of GW but must give him marks here for his positive discrimination in favor of talent regardless of background, ethnicity or whatever. As a Republican President I would have expected far less of him - he deserves a pat on the back for this move and the US should be proud that Ms Rice has been rewarded for her hard work, not hampered by her background

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i agree.. i hear derrogatory remarks about Condeleeza Rice but i always come back with " where would you be if you were a black woman? heck your a white man and look where your at"

shuts men up real fast lol

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I like her. She's quite an example for women in general, regardless of ethnicity.

DY

• Englishman
    Englishman

Yes, fair do's, she done well!

Also, please remember that most folk's quibbles with the US revolves around it's political bosses, not the people themselves who are generally regarded as being good kind folk.

Englishman

• M.J.
    M.J.

I would agree. I think that most people recognize that, despite what they may think of him, GW is genuine...now that may be genuinely bad to some but at least he doesn't give the sense that he's just a slick politician that talks out of both sides of his mouth and is just putting on a show for political gain.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I hadn't realised what a glittering academic background Condoleezza Rice has until I looked up her background after I saw this thread.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3609327.stm

Her father was a pastor and college principal, and her mother was a music teacher - not exactly "dirt poo", but certainly more humble beginnings than I realised.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Yep, only in America can a poor black woman rise up to become a perjerous sycophantine mouthpiece to a lying, blood thirsty president who is a slave to corporate interests.

Okay, that was over the top. I take it back.

• roybatty
    roybatty

<<picking myself off of the floor

lol...j/k

Her and/or Powell should make a run for the White House.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Powell has said in the past that he wouldn't run, because he didn't want the intrusion into his family's private life.

I have a lot of respect for Rice and Powell. Although I don't agree with her on some things, she really has had a lot dumped on her, and has shown a lot of poise. It is tough for a woman to be taken seriously in politics in a lot of countries without people thinking they are just a total witch. I have read a few interviews with her, the best with in the O magazine when Oprah Winfrey interviewed her.

I just hope Bush will listen to her more than he did Powell. Bush had a lot of good people on his side, but he has lost many of them.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Madeleine Albright was the first female secretary of state. The secretary of state is 4th in line to the presidency.

Madeleine Korbel Albright was nominated by President Clinton on December 5, 1996 as Secretary of State. After being unanimously confirmed by the U.S. Senate, she was sworn in as the 64th Secretary of State on January 23, 1997. Secretary Albright is the first female secretary of state and the highest ranking woman in the history of the U.S. government. http://secretary.state.gov/www/albright/albright.html

Colin Powel was the first black to attain such high office in the US.

And Condi Rice is the first black woman.

One of the (few) things I appreciate about Prez Bush is his racially diverse cabinet.

Peace

Brenda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit