Jesus Married?

by sandy 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The idea is very ancient. Various Gnostic schools accepted their Jesus as having a lover named Mary Mag. Other tales of the late first and second century revolved around this relationship. It is likely that some stories in the cannonical Gospels referred to this relationship. The marriage in Cannan has been discussed here at length as an obvious rewrite. It is my suspicion that she was the betrayer in the original legend, Judas was written in to became a new character to play the role. Also the 'disciple who Jesus loved' that reclined on his breast and could coax him to disclose a secret was likly this same lover. Later orthodoxy with it's Mithraic tradition of priestly celibacy could not have that of course. The later added material in chapts 19-21 of John go to great pains to identify this beloved disciple as an unnamed man. Tradition identifies this disciple with John the brother of James because of his not being named elsewhere in the story. Was the name removed to facilitate this identification? Ironically the book was likely originally written by a different John, John the presbyter, a real person.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

One legend says that after Jesus died Mary & their kids hopped a ship to France and founded the Merovingian dynasty. In other words, French monarchs claimed to be direct descendents of Jesus Christ himself, not unlike pagan kings who claimed divine ancestry. Can you think of a better way to keep your divine right to rule once your subjects convert to Christianity?

I wouldn't discount the possiblity that he was married, but any assertion either way seems too rooted in speculation to make a definite statement.

• gumby
    gumby

"And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage

That alone should tell you it wasn't Jesus wedding.

Gumby

• Xena
    Xena

Another book you might enjoy reading based on the relationship between Jesus & Mary Magdalene is called "The Moon Under Her Feet" by Clysta Kinstler. Pure fiction..but interesting none the less.

• Princess
    Princess

Thanks for the tip Xena...I just put a hold on it at the library. Celestine Prophecy is dragging and I need something new. I also put a hold on Celia's recommendation...that one I have to wait in line for.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

As peacefulpete noted some gnostic sects believed it. The Gospel of Philip calls Mary Magdalene the companion of the Lord. That term in those days could easily mean consort. As well in that same gnostic book, it mentions that Jesus loved Mary more than the others and kissed her often "on the mouth".

One infamous gnostic was Simon Magus. He called himself the Great Power and he hooked up with some prostitute and convinced people that she was Sophia (the Gnostic Wisdom). Some people believed this was a parallel to the relationship bewteen Jesus and Mary.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

..and if Jesus was married, is that a bad thing to anyone?

• gumby
    gumby
    ..and if Jesus was married, is that a bad thing to anyone?

Stinker.....from a biblical point of view it would have been a bad thing. Jesus came for one purpose only.....to sacrafice his life as an exchange for many. His time here was not for having a wife,kids, a job, or anything else but to lay down his life. Can you imagine Jesus carrying out his life with a wife? She would have been one jealous woman.....and lonely.....almost like being married to Steven Tyler with women spilling wine all over themselves tryin ta git a quick snapshot. Gumby *starts actin silly and stuff*

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    Jesus came for one purpose only.....to sacrafice his life as an exchange for many. His time here was not for having a wife,kids, a job, or anything else but to lay down his life.

He only preached for a couple years though. During that time, he DID have a job as a carpenter. A wife seems reasonable too. If I remember right, he didn't ALWAYS know what his "purpose" was. Wasn't that revealed to him when he was baptized? If so, why would he not have married before this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit