Jesus Married?

by sandy 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sandy
    sandy

I am curious: Any here believe that Jesus could have been Married to Mary Magdalene?

• Valis
    Valis

Did you ever see Last Temptation of Christ?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

No, not married, just a fling on the side.

Kwin

• Celia
    Celia

Yes. After reading the book Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln, the idea of Jesus being married makes a lot of sense.... The wedding at Cana in the New Testament apparently recounts Jesus' wedding to Mary Magdalene....

Great book, couldn't put it down. I guess it's a forerunner of the DaVinci Code.

• sandy
    sandy

I haven't read the Divinci Code but I was watching the Davinci Code Decoded over the weekend. I found it quite interesting especially the part that talked about the possibility of Jesus being married.

I'm going to read Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

I never seen Last Temp of Christ.

• gumby
    gumby

The Last Temptation of Christ was a movie.....with stuff added in.

If one only reads the bible, there wouldn't be a doubt if he was married. Where in the scriptures does it ever suggest such a thing?

Gumby

• sandy
    sandy

http://www.myusm.com/usm87680.html

Was Jesus married to Mary Magdalene? The bible offers proof of it. Happy Heathen
    Category:(Debate) Created:(2/23/2001 8:40:00 PM) Viewed (10818 times)

Please read this with an open mind it is rather interesting.

1) St. John, 2 chap., verses 2-8. "And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, they have no wine. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come. His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it. And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. Jesus saith unto them, fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. And he saith unto them, draweth out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast." Now at a Jewish wedding the guests cannot give orders. By Hebrew law and courtesy only the groom, the grooms mother, and the governer can give orders. The servants should have ignored Jesus's mother and Jesus. The groom should have been asked to allow them to do this and He would order the servants. For Jesus to do this before he became a well known miracle worker would have been unheard of. As well it is unlikely that Mary would have heard of the lack of wine before anyone else, again it would go against custom. But if Jesus was the groom and it was his wedding than this would have been perfectly alright. And throughout the entire chapter the groom is only asked by the governer why he hid the best wine until the end and to give it to the guests. So Jesus could be the groom at this wedding. It doesn't prove it but it definitely opens up the possibility. Jesus might not have been mentioned specifically as the groom because later when people wrote about Jesus they wanted him to appear pure and unmarried. But since they needed to show Jesus miracle they had to leave this part in. But they left it ambigous enough that no one would really question it.

2) Throughout the bible Jesus is called a teacher. By Hebrew law only married men may be teachers. So depending on how closely Jesus followed Hebrew law this could be a sign that Jesus was married. As for teaching people about religion again he would have to be married by Hebrew law. The moment any Jews heard Jesus wasn't married but was trying to teach them they'd all leave. UPDATE: I have found out through a response on this post and my own sources found out that to be a Rabbi a man has to be married. So while Jesus would not HAVE to be married, it would be considered bad form for Jesus to teach children. Now people have stated that Jesus didn't follow all the laws, and quite rightly stated that people were uncomfortable at FIRST with this. Now we can take this as meaning Jesus was never married and people just stopped caring. Or we can think that at first people were uncomfortable but something Jesus did shortly afterwards made them allow Jesus to continue teaching to the children. This could have been marriage. So we have a question mark here. Did the Jewish people just decide to ignore law and tradition for Jesus, a possibility. Or did Jesus get married and people didn't have a problem anymore. Like so much with the bible and religion in general it comes down to faith.

3) The most critical part comes about after Jesus is crucified and it shows us who Jesus may have been married to. St. Mark, Chap. 16, verse 1. "And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him." Now by Hebrew law the ONLY women who can anoint a man are family members. For Mary Magdalene to even attempt to anoint Jesus would be unthinkable under Hebrew law, unless she was married to Jesus. So it seems much more likely through this one verse that Jesus and Mary were married.

Now I know the bible doesn't come right out and say Jesus was married. But if Jesus was known to be married would he be seen as pure as he is made out to be? It is very likely that Jesus was not acknowledged as being married because the writers of Jesus did not want it known. As many christians say the people who wrote about Jesus saw it from different perspectives and some were nowhere near Jesus when Jesus lived. So after the fact it would be easy to leave out certain parts that did not match up with what they wanted. And until some writing from Jesus or his disciples is allowed to come out of the vatican vaults there is always the possibility that some parts of Jesus life was left out by the known writers who were not close to Jesus.
  • Valis
    Valis

sandy, Nikos Kazantzakis wrote the book in 1955. The movie was made in 1988 w/Willam Defoe as jebus. It is basically the story of Jebus being tempted while being cricified. He flashes to a normal life w/Mary Magdalene before he goes to visit his pops up in the sky. The soundtrack for the movie is also very very cool.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0095497/

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• sandy
    sandy

Yeah Valis, I've actually heard the soundtrack, even have some mp3s of some of the songs.

Maybe I'll rent the movie for the holiday weekend.

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Jesus has 12 male disciples and some accuse him of being gay.

He has female disciples and some accuse him of being married or a fornicator.

Neither is supported by the Bible.

Sabrina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit