WT says Hypnosis is Spellcasting

by Sirona 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Flash
    Flash

Thank you Sirona for posting this.

This is such an obvious and shamefull perversion of scripture. It would really be funny if they weren't serious. This is probably the reason I'll be DF'd under the guise of 'Spiritism.' In the future I plan on selling Self-Hypnosis programs as a business.

HYPNOTISM has been the subject of much debate and controversy. * Even experts in the field find it difficult to explain. It is generally understood that hypnosis is an altered state of consciousness, or trance. Most people, however, are more interested in what hypnotism can do than in what it is.

Correct.

In recent years it has become common for health practitioners in some lands to recommend hypnotism as a treatment. For instance, the magazine Psychology Today states: "Hypnotherapy can treat headaches, ease labor pains, help you quit smoking, replace anesthesia, and improve study habits?all without side effects."

Correct again.

On the other hand, many associate hypnotism with spiritism and the occult. What is the Bible's viewpoint? Of course, the Bible is not a health textbook, and it does not comment directly on the subject of hypnotism.

Prefunctory disclaimer.

But the principles found in God's Word can help us determine God's view.

Here we GOoooooooooo!

Regarding hypnotism, the Encyclopedia of Occultism and Parapsychology explains: "Its history is inextricably interwoven with occultism." Religious trances, which have been a part of sorcery and magic throughout history, are commonly viewed as a form of hypnosis. Also, the priests in ancient Egypt and Greece induced a type of hypnotic state when trying to cure illnesses in the name of their false gods

While it is difficult to determine to what extent various forms of hypnotism may have to do with the occult, the fact is that God clearly condemns all forms of spiritism. (Deuteronomy 18:9-12; Revelation 21:8) Thus, Christians cannot ignore the clearly unscriptural aspects of hypnotism.

Yada Yada Yada... Then the LIE!

Does this sound harmless? Would it be advisable for a true Christian to let others influence his mind by means of hypnotic suggestions? This would be contrary to the apostle Paul's admonition: "Present your bodies a sacrifice living, holy, acceptable to God, a sacred service with your power of reason. And quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."? Romans 12:1, 2.

Could a Christian "hold a good conscience," if he allowed himself to be put into a state where he could not fully control his thoughts or desires or even his actions? ( 1 Peter 3:16) The Bible admonishes: "Each one of you should know how to get possession of his own vessel in sanctification and honor." (1 Thessalonians 4:4) Clearly, hypnosis would hamper one's ability to follow such counsel.

Fabricated Principles.

In view of the above-mentioned Bible principles, Jehovah's Witnesses avoid techniques that involve hypnosis or self-hypnosis. They heed the command at Deuteronomy 18:10, 11: "There should not be found in you anyone who . . . binds others with a spell." For those confronted with health problems, there are many other treatments that do not involve exposure to the dangers of occultism or allow for one's mind to be manipulated by others.

By keeping clear of practices that are contrary to Bible principles, Christians can have the hope of living forever in God's righteous new world. Then mankind will enjoy perfect health in body and mind without the use of hypnotism.?Revelation 21:3, 4.

I'm getting DF'd for sure, it's just a matter of time...OH WELL !!!

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Could a Christian "hold a good conscience," if he allowed himself to be put into a state where he could not fully control his thoughts or desires or even his actions?

I wonder if the Judge thought of this when he was sitting back, sipping his smuggled alcohol?

Kwin

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

That is such, for lack of a better term...HOCKEY PUCK! In my case anyways, the times I have been under hypnosis I was aware of everything around me, and I was much more aware of my surroundings than usual. I have been under hyponsis twice and they were not really to "cure" anything per se (weight issues, smoking...) My psych prof actually did a mini-hypnosis in one of our classes. I was so relaxed I had actually started crying at the end of his session.

But devils in the mind?! I remember an article similar that also dealt with meditation and how it would be wrong as christians to meditate......except if you were meditating on "gods word" Huh?

Just another minute detail that the WTS has to tell their followers to make sure they "hold steadfast".

What a bunch of bs.

Melba

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit