Now we're cookin'

by Princess 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

I bought this new Dell computer last December after my Gateway crashed. I have hated it since day one. It's just so damn slow. I've spent the last year tearing my hair out waiting for it to boot up (15 mintutes) load programs (had time to get a cup of coffee) and such. I spent too much money to have these kind of irritations! The thought of spending hours on a tech line kept me from doing anything about it.

Last week I wanted to chuck it out the window so I finally called the only number I could find which happened to be warranty extension (yeah, right). I told him my problem and he looked me up and discovered I had only 128RAM...the bare minimum necessary to run Windows XP. WTF? Why didn't the guy who sold it to me tell me? I would have upped it if he had bothered to tell me it was barely adequate. mumble grumble So he sets me up with a 512RAM card which I finally installed this evening. I knew we nailed the problem when it booted up in less than a minute. Only cost $120 something too.

w00t! w00t!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Can you make toast w it? It goes good w coffee.

S

Ps, cool. I gotta do some serious upgrading on mine soon.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It's surprising what a little extra memory can do

• Mulan
    Mulan

I remember my first computer, before internet, had 1 MB of RAM. How did we survive? It was slow? How would I know? It was my first one. I loved it.

Now, I sure wouldn't.

Glad it's up and running faster, sweet girl. Now, when I'm at your house, I might look stuff up.

• Princess
    Princess
    Now, when I'm at your house, I might look stuff up.

M u s t r e m e m b e r t o l o g o u t !!! I'll come home to a "Isn't Mulan the most fabulous poster?" thread

It's great. Not lightspeed fast but I'll sure take it over the old. Now I have to clean up all this remodel mess to make room for new computer #2.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Also to quicken boot up go to My Computer > C > Windows > Prefetch and delete all the files in it.

Prefetch is not a bad thing, what it does is monitor what you typically start when you open windows and starts the loading of the program. But once something goes in it never comes out. So old programs that you have used in the past will still be in the prefetch.

So cleaning out the Prefetch directory every few weeks speeds up the boot time.

No programs or needed files are deleted by doing this.

• Celia
    Celia

ConfusedJW:

I looked in My Computer - C - didn't see any "Prefetch", can it have another name ?

• Princess
    Princess

no clue how to do that confused...I'll work on it though. So, how do I get windows media player to stop popping up first thing when I boot? That drives me batty!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    So, how do I get windows media player to stop popping up first thing when I boot? That drives me batty!

Take it off your Start Up Menu. You'll boot up faster if you delete a lot of programs off your Start Up Menu.

Congrats on the new speed and welcome to the 21 Century.

• Princess
    Princess
    Take it off your Start Up Menu.

And how would I do this? Keep it simple...I'm lazy and won't do it if you don't make the instructions simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit