Raised in the Truth vs. New Converts

by prophecor 10 Replies latest jw friends

• prophecor
    prophecor

While viewing many of your experiences here, its strange to hear the problems that have resulted from many of you being in " the truth ". I'm speaking with regard to those who've been in most of their lives and have never really known much else.

When I finally came in I had spent a majority of my life, doing the things of the world. Although I had known of " the truth " or as I've heard it said "been around the truth " , I could never really see it for what it truly was, or in the case of the information found here, for what it was not.

I had never any doubt as to the truthfulness of the organization until I was somehow led here, on a night that I was to have my study started, as I had been inactive for nearly ten years. I was curious and new to the world of the internet. Just out of curiosty, I did a search on Jehovah's Witnesses and much to my surprise there was a wealth of information available, both pro and con, however.

I had all the early warning lights come up into my mind about seeking information on the organization that was not favorable to it. I fought off however my natural inclination to cower in fear of even questioning anything the orginization had to say and of course... the rest is history.

I was allowed to see over a lengthy period of time, how my perspective of the society may need re-adjusting. I bought the Crissis of Conscience book by Raymond Franz and was absolutely astonished by some of the things that went on in the undertow of the Watchtower Society.

My beliefs had died a painfully slow death, and I was like a passenger who had survived the Titanic with only timbers to keep me from drowning, while now waiting for the sharks to bring me to my finality. I had nothing left to believe in, to whom was I to belong to now?

I have never experienced living as a witness from the ground up, as it were. I've never known what its like to have to shun anyone because they got themselves in a jam, or what it must be like to be shunned. To consider your family members as dead is such a horrific stance to take, and the lives that have been lost to suicide because of such shunning is just unimaginable.

I've not had any really close family involved in the truth, in fact, I was the only one in my immediate family to try and have a go at being a witness. From days of adolescense and beyond. After spending 17 years of trying to make up my mind, however, I finally made my way in, only to sneak out the back door after only 2 years of service.

I couldn't adjust to the lifestyle, the changes required to serve that to me came to be to feel so superficial.

So how much different is it for those who've been in all your life, as opposed to some who have only to experienced being JW for a moment? Now that there is more to the story about being in the organization, or out, for that matter, are your struggles even more or less significant since your coming to terms with the truth, about the truth?

• Carmel
    Carmel

Yes! er, I think so! Well, maybe not!

caveman

• flower
    flower

I think its much different. Never having known anything else, every aspect of your life pretty much crumbles when you find out the 'truth' about the truth.

It takes exceptionally strong individuals to carry on and piece together some semblance of normalcy out of the remains fo their life.

Not having any kind of previous 'normal' existance by which to base a new life or 'old pesonality' to go back to makes it that much harder. The only choice one has is to recreate themselves and their lives based on who want to be from there on out. A task which takes time, patience and support.

• seedy3
    seedy3

I was raised in the "Truth", and really never figured out how they had it all and no one else had any incling of an idea what was going on with the "God" thing. I was always embarrassed to tell my school friends that I was a JW and didn't do holidays and such.

• MonkeyPrincess
    MonkeyPrincess

I was raised in the Org my whole life. I totally agree with what Flower said. It is like losing your identity and trying to find it, not knowing who you really are, and what
    your really like, since its always been told to you. Its a struggle daily, but i also am finding that i am a much stronger person that i thought i was.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

My wife was an adult when she began studying...alone in a new town with a new baby...Ripe for the pickin'.

I however, was raised as a 3rd generation witness. My wife is still "in" but can fully understand my reasons for leaving...even though at the present she hopes it's temporary. She and I both see the vast difference in our situations. I chuckle at her because of her relative age "in da troof"...and she laughs at my awakening as an individual. This was my first year being politically active...she said "Oh, I remember being like that when I was a freshman in college."

I agree that when a person raised in it leaves...it's a totally new experience. You have to really take time to find out who you really are. I think that's why some go hawg wild for a time...then they settle into the identity that they've found for themselves.

Ern

• bem
    bem

In my instance, I learned the 'truth' as a young adult. my two oldest kids studied along with me over a series of JWs and years, My oldest was baptized the day I was. My husband eventually studied. he and our daughter were baptized at the same time. our youngest was the one born 'in the truth' he is also the one with the strongest opinion 'against' the wts. he's almost 16 and he can't believe 'we/I' "ever fell for the stuff". and we raised him as folks that were strong in the 'truth'. so go figure how he came so smart.

Then I have friends in California, the mom is third generation jw and her boys were wasting away in the wts. she says and I agree they the family and boys are thriving now that they have left the borg.

Dorothy

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    I couldn't adjust to the lifestyle, the changes required to serve that to me came to be to feel so superficial.

(Matthew 11:28-30) 28 Come to me, all YOU who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh YOU. 29 Take my yoke upon YOU and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and YOU will find refreshment for YOUR souls. 30 For my yoke is kindly and my load is light."

are your struggles even more or less significant since your coming to terms with the truth, about the truth?

I don't know if my struggles are more or less significant now, but just different ones. I always found that the burdens that the WTS put on individuals was too much. They didn't lighten the load, they added to the law with the traditions of men.

My struggle now, consists of a reexamaning of my personal views, ones that I get not from a book from the WTS, but from my heart.

I've found, and Mrs. Kwin can vouch for me here, that I have become a much more tolerant person when it comes to different peoples lifestyles and beliefs. Before, everyone was wrong, and I hated the fact that they were wrong, now it's OK for someone to live differently then I. Being taught intolerance from childhood, is quite the burden to carry.

I think the general consencis here, is you become a "new person" after leaving. You search out who YOU really are, not the person that you think the WTS expects you to be. That freedom really is a joy.

Kwin

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I find this such an interesting topic.

I spent most of my childhood and mid teenage years in 'The Troof'. However, mentally I was never really in 'The Troof'. I hated going to meetings and hated field service. These feelings caused me a lot of anguish because I was scared that Jehoober knew I was faking it and ultimately I would get incinerated with the worldly people a la the Paradise Book. I spent as much time as I could with 'worldy people' anyway -classic foot in two camps stance.

I was embarrassed and ashamed to be associated with the JWs and sick of having to explain to people why I couldn't do this, and couldn't do that etc. I never had that sense of pride that the others seemed to have at the KH. I think what got me was that this life style was not of my choosing, therefore as soon as I could I walked away without a backward glance. I decided to jump ship before the inevitable " should you not think about baptism by now?" followed by " Meet Brother Turd - he's nice isn't he? "

Having been on the board for a few months now, I can now see the terrible emotional aftermath of those of you who joined as adults - where you exercised your own free will. To have your whole belief system destroyed must have been devastating and discovering that you had been subjected to what amounts to a spiritual scam.

What comes across strongly from the board is that the impact of exit depends in your strength of involvement. Those of us who had fairly easy exits (like myself - minimal problems)should really appreciate our good fortune.

FF

• prophecor
    prophecor

FF I really appreciate your perspective on those of us who came in as adults of our own accord, and the feelings of devistation that can occur once we realize all that we had been told was not all that there was.

I still suffer some feelings of loss, as " The Truth " , being in the orginization and doing the work of a witness had been viewed by me for so long as the only thing that would be of any true value to ones self, ones neighbor as well as for the entire world!

I struggle everyday still, as I try to peice it all together now, how to deal with my dilemma with seeking a connect with The Almighty, my Higher Power, Jesus and the struggle is still, every waking moment of my life. Though I get a glimpse every so often that God is still taking care of me. Grace has had a tendency to follow me through out my life, and especially since leaving the orginization, though I'm always seemingly looking over my shoulder, waiting for the next missle strike, I've found often during those moments of desperation, that help always seemed to turn up at just the right time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit