"Obesity Awake- Nov. 8, 2004"

by dothemath 19 Replies latest jw friends

• dothemath
    dothemath

I've heard many comments about cong. members won't be presenting this mag..........it's a touchy subject, not to mention the advice in the awake isn't any different than advice from Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc... etc..........

One interesting obversation- at the end of the article it doens't say to just "wait on God's Kingdom".........this is how the very last paragraph goes.........

"where there's a will, there's a way. Do you have the motivation to do something about it? As an overweight child or overweight adult, what are your choices? Lose wight of possibly lose years of life. Adopt an active life-style, and feel the satisfaction of accomplishment- even in small things, such as smaller sizes in your clothing!" (exclamation point in magazine also)

Years ago, people with health problems weren't encouraged to get them taken care of.......just had to wait for the "new system".

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Adopt an active life-style

Should read, "Get your ass out door to door!"

The WTS is "keeping ahead of the times" by jumping on the obese bandwagon. Did the article mention anything about cutting out Donuts during coffee break?

Kwin

• jazbug
    jazbug

Or how about a support/counseling group for those with eating disorders, depression, loneliness, etc. thanks to their "LOVING" policies.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew of several sisters who went together to a Weight Watchters support group. They reasoned if their were several of them together it would counter the "bad association" counsel. No such luck, an elder approached them and said they didn't need to associate with worldly people to lose weight. They could do it on their own. He cited an unverifiable case of a sister running off with a worldly man she met at a meeting. Not that he knew the name of that sister or what congregation it happened in.

One sister pointed out that he went to sporting events and associated with "worldly" people for recreational purposes. She added that this was for health reasons. It would be like saying you could only stay in a hospital where all the patients and staff were JWs.

That sent him scurrying. Later they found out that he just didn't want his wife going.

Blondie

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

well i now have a male friend who is a historian of sorts..

he shows me old sculpture and artwork where heavy women were viewed as goddesses

historical references where a mans worth was measured by his wifes girth.

its only been in the past 100 yrs or so that thin women have been " in"

so.. dont tell him any different..he thinks i'm a goddess and loves me just the way i am. he says sweet things like i could be old and bald thin or fat and the beauty inside would always shine thru..

of course..he's heavily medicated on morphine because he's disabled............maybe its the drugs talkin lol

• Gill
    Gill

Candidlynuts! You crease me up! LOL! I think I'm going to piss my pants.

Your beauty shines through even in cyber space! Don't let anyone tell you different. If they do, just head butt them!!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Oh I agree too with Gill, you are really cute candidlynuts. What a good sense of humour and great confidence in oneself.

Hooray for you!!! Blondie all that sagesse bravo.!! You always tell great stories. MY goodness how I missed you.

Love Orangefatcat

xoxox

• flower
    flower

LOL thinking of all the people in my old congregation who hover around 250lbs. I would love to see the reactions on peoples faces as they try to place that magazine. Maybe they'll take the advice themselves first then try to place the mag. Nah that wouldnt be hypocritical enough for dubs.

• Mary
    Mary
    an elder approached them and said they didn't need to associate with worldly people to lose weight. They could do it on their own.

I would've told him to mind his own god damn business.........dumb jerk-off..........still, obesity is a huge problem these days. I'm thrilled to say that I've lost 35 lbs. now and I'm exercising my ass off---literally, 5 days a week at the gym.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    well i now have a male friend who is a historian of sorts..

he shows me old sculpture and artwork where heavy women were viewed as goddesses

ok! i am such a goddess then. now, if i could get other ppl to worship me, i'll have everything i've ever wanted. but im not that big tho (5'6" 185). ok, i'm a demi-goddess.

laters

kaykay_mp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit