WHY DO YOU INSIST on clinging to the Bible as anything other than fiction?

by Terry 72 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Hey Terry,

Well, since most people don't say something unless they have some sort of outcome in mind, I'm wondering if you can clarify your intended outcome for me.

You are openly hostile to the idea that intelligent, educated individuals, after a careful examination of existing materials on the subject, continue to believe in the bible and/or God. In your personal experience this is tantamount to being purposely blind to the facts since after your own careful study of the same materials you came to a different conclusion.

Tie that to the fact that you believe that coming to any conclusion but yours on the matter is actually dangerous to people and I have to guess that you are frustrated, irritated, and yet still concerned for people who you see making a harmful decision on all things divine.

The only intended outcome that I can see is that you hope that, by making believers feel stupid in light of your advanced knowledge and wisdom, they will abandon their beliefs and be shamed to their senses. Something like a rude rescue. LOL

Is this the case?

J

(edited to add: I found out that I'm going to be offline possibly until tomorrow. Terry, if you answer my post I'm not ignoring you, I'll reply tomorrow.)

• Terry
    Terry
    I regard the Bible as a selection of the most highly esteemed literature of ancient Israel and Judah. It contains their laws, their history, their songs, their poetry, their wisdom. So why in the world should it not include fiction?

How is this proprietary book of an ancient tribal people presented to the world at large? That is the real question.

Ask your average Joe Blow believer who say they are a Christian what the Bible actually is and you'll not get much support for your very broad-minded and informed view of the same book.

The book is promoted as the very word of the most Supreme Being in all the universe. It is as though God is in his office dictating over the intercom to secretaries over a vast vista of time and they feverishly paraphrase his dictates in their own idiom.

Then, the literal minded pedants focus on the very wording of those paraphrases to prove a jot and tiddle change the world. And it has.

Mass hysteria and ill-informed opinionating backed up by authority, rule-making and severe consequences have forged the bible into an awesome weapon of control.

It may be many things, but, it isn't anything less than the most influential instrument of propaganda the western world has ever encountered. Armies peer at each other on either side of the battlefield mumbling prayers to the selfsame amorphous diety conjured by the verses of a well-thumbed Scripture. Each warrior will shed his blood (or the other fellow's) in the secure and unshakeable "knowledge" that he does the bidding of the Supreme Being.

Yet, behind it all there is a manipulating hand. It may be political, venal or irrationally idealogic; but, the control is from a wielder of words. And those words will taint of scripture.

The Bible has been sold to us. What the warranty says is quite specific. It is a panacea for mankind's ills. That is how it is represented. It is a supernatural wonder of the world. That is how it is presented.

It is a lie.

Terry

• Terry
    Terry
    LittleToe: Btw, I think I've just realised why I love you so much. It's likely because you remind me so much of my younger brother (the one who is a JW Elder, and hence now shuns me). He's got a bit of a jaded outlook and a b*st*rd streak, too - reminds me of Jack Dee

Aw, shucks!

• Terry
    Terry
    And does your Psychiatrist friend recommend tearing down all pseudo-belief-systems, walls and misconceptions, without any regard to current state of mental health?

Since words are so important to you, surely you know how effective and potentially damaging they can be, if not used appropriately?

A mentally disturbed person certainly needs delicate handling.

Is that what you mean?

Terry

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Terry:

Aw, shucks!

Makes me feel all fuzzy n warm
    And to think - you don't shun me, either

A mentally disturbed person certainly needs delicate handling.
    Is that what you mean?

That too, but naww. It's just that I suspect that if you'd enquired of your friend, he probably wouldn't have recommended your approach to dismantling belief-systems

• Krystal
    Krystal

I think the bible is a great novel... inspired of god is pushing it.

There are definetly things to be learnt from it's stories. (but then again you can learn a lesson from "Green Eggs and Ham")

I think it is the programming kicking in but I still have great respect for it as a work of literature; but to say it is "God's Word" is a bit far fetched for me at this point.

I am definetly still facsinated by it...

• Terry
    Terry
    Well, since most people don't say something unless they have some sort of outcome in mind, I'm wondering if you can clarify your intended outcome for me

I'm not a motivational speaker. I'm not selling a book. I'm not teaching a class. I'm not presenting myself as somebody of authority who must be heard and followed. I'm just a dusty old fart howling at the moon. Do I expect the moon to blink? Nah.

You are openly hostile to the idea that intelligent, educated individuals, after a careful examination of existing materials on the subject, continue to believe in the bible and/or God. In your personal experience this is tantamount to being purposely blind to the facts since after your own careful study of the same materials you came to a different conclusion.

I don't think I'm hostile to ideas good or bad. I'm taken aback by deliberate behavior which purports to be one thing; but, is in fact another. JW's, for instance, behave a certain way. They will explain why. But, the abberrent psychology of it is distastefully manipulative and destructive. I was up to my eyelids in that mucky swamp of self-deception once. It scares me. Why could I not see it? How could I be so blind? How could I be so willfully obtuse? That is what informs my "hostile" panic at purposefully blind people. I see MYSELF as I was and I wonder how anybody could have got through to me.

Tie that to the fact that you believe that coming to any conclusion but yours on the matter is actually dangerous to people and I have to guess that you are frustrated, irritated, and yet still concerned for people who you see making a harmful decision on all things divine.

Dangerous is a matter of results, isn't it?

What has been the result of JW belief in the lives of thousands (if not millions?) Further, what is the result of belief world wide by convinced, convicted fundamentalists who won't budge a millimeter from their rigid view of God's will? That is dangerously close to dangerous, wouldn't you say?

The only intended outcome that I can see is that you hope that, by making believers feel stupid in light of your advanced knowledge and wisdom, they will abandon their beliefs and be shamed to their senses. Something like a rude rescue. LOL

Is this the case?

J

If by "stupid" you mean: in a state of mental numbness, I'd say you were pretty close to accurate that I feel strongly about willful intransigence. But, my "advanced knowledge" doesn't represent a great mind on my part or a monster intellect. No, It represents the way a drowning man clutches at the life preserver. I seek facts and cling to them. I'm hyper-aware of the shades of nuance words represent when they lie on the printed page to persuade others. I'm wary of the serpent's tooth of rhetoric in religious argumentation. I often become nauseous at the utter lack of substantive bedrock in my previously held belief system when I think back on it. I WAS SO DAMNED SURE it was truth. It wasn't truth at all. How was I fooled like that? The only answer I can come up with isn't very satisfying: I was emotionally needy of the structure of the JW's as a group of people WHO INCLUDED me in their body. It was emotionally satisfying. Therefore, I whored out my mind to give my needy emotional emptiness the soothing glow of belonging.

As a former mental whore I am sullied. There is no end of self hate. I have no respect for the me (of former years) who allowed his mind to serve his emotional habit by prostituting it in deliberately ignorning the warning signs that I was in a cult.

Any hostility you discover in my passions here is me trying to slap sense into the former (me) reaching back through time (as it were) in futile blows. This forum is an effigy, a simulacrum of therapy in that effort.

I am superior only to pond scum.

Terry

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry, ah, there's nothing like the world of fantasy! Reality? Who lives in reality? Fantasy is escapism. Guest77

Who needs to escape?

1.A caged animal.

2.A slave

3.A prisoner

4.A mental patient

Which ones are we?

Terry

• Terry
    Terry
    If on discards the bible and belief in the Almighty then one discards the directing motivation that has inspired most of what men have done ever since civilisation began, since there would be no place presumably for any kind of 'spirituality'.

I need a serviceable definition of SPIRTUALITY that pins it down for me. I find the term quite vague and slippery. Can you help?

Terry

• Terry
    Terry

Terry,

Why should I believe that your rationalism is anything other than fiction?

"Believe" may not be the answer to repelling fiction.

A ratio divides one thing from another and gives you the exact proportions of this vs that.

A ratio(nal) mind does the same thing.

A rational mind lets you know where you stand with fact vs fiction.

It is better to know than to not know.

Think of life as a dark room. We can stumble around in the dark and pretend where we are. Or, we can try and invent the light bulb.

I generally see people falling into one of two groups as a matter of their PERSONAL TASTE.
    Example: Why, I ask, do so many religious people read science fiction or romance novels?

Peculiar? No. I think that personality type enjoys fiction because it gives them a vicarious entre into an emotional state of "experience" otherwise unavailable in their life. They need it.

Being a robot or a spock or a walking encylopedia is not the alternative. Balance and moderation are shockingly necessary. But, once again, you have to get the RATIO of one to the other balanced. That is the RATIOnal mind's job.

Can we afford to slip merely into a torpor of dazed daydreaming and wishful thinking?

Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit