When have we ever made God happy?

by Preston 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Preston
    Preston

Very beautifully stated Cicatrix,

Your prose has such a beauty and depth it really makes me aware of how Godly of a person you are. My statements were not a sly dig at God in general, just my understanding of what kind of person God is like in the Bible. Your comments are a good contrast to people who feel comfortable with a Jonathan Edwards' view of him, as was the case in his "Sinners in the hands of an angry God" sermon. I felt that, if one reads the Bible, the only conclusion you can draw from it is that our singluar purpose on earth is to make God angry, and for him to find unique ways to get rid of us. It's reassuring that there are people with a more enlightened view of the supreme being....

• Preston
    Preston

Swan,

You got the idea, if the God of the Bible exists, then he gets off on the idea that we're sinful and imperfect. He finds more unique ways to punish us than to bless us. It fascinates me that there are more depicitions of hellish torment in ancient art than there is of life in heaven. As was proven in Mel Gibson's movie, It just goes to prove Christianity is a religion obessed with death, torture, and destruction....

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

When God gives the gift of faith.

Heb 11:6

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Man can't make faith himself, it is a gift.

D Dog

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Deputy,

When God gives the gift of faith. Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Man can't make faith himself, it is a gift.
    Well I guess God has genereously given you the gift, but to thoseof us with out faith God is just being stingy, and so according to you logic,, if we do not have faith not our fault, because God has not given it to us.
  • hillbilly
    hillbilly

God was really happy when we all left the Watchtower........ I have it on pretty good authority he's a little pissed with the home office..............

~~Hill

• Preston
    Preston

Thank God Hill,

I anticpate a major defamation suit......

• Swan
    Swan

Welcome ladies and germs,

I just flew in from Cleveland tonight, and boy are my arms tired!

We have a special guest in our audience tonight. Right over there, it's God. Instead of having God stand up and take a bow, lets have Him stand and we'll bow before Him! Ohhh....kaaaay! Not funny. Seriously folks, I want to express my thanks to God for attending our show! Hopefully you'll leave a little happier and have a big smile on your face, your Holiness.

You know, folks, it's not easy being God. He can never please everyone. A cardinal in Rome woke up the Pope in the middle of the night tonight and said, "Pope! Pope! Ive got good news and I've got bad news!"

"What's the good news?" the Pope asked.

"God just phoned to tell us He's visiting the Earth tonight!"

"Cool!" said the Pope. "What's the bad news?"

"He just called me from Salt Lake City."

George W. visited the Clintons and they went out to dinner. Their limo crashed and they all went to heaven. God doesn't really pay much attention to politics, so when they came before him, He wasn't sure who they were. So He asked George W. "Who are you?"

"Well I'm George W. Bush, the President of the United States!"

God says, "Hey, that's an important job. You may sit at my right hand."

He asks Bill Clinton next who he is.

"Well I'm Bill Clinton, former President of the United States."

"Oh, wow, that's impressive too. You may sit at my left hand."

He turns to Hillary. "And who are you, little lady?"

"Well, I'm Hillary, and I think you've got my seat!"

I see God is enjoying himself. Most people don't think He's got a sense of humor. But then they've never stopped to consider that He made the whole world and everything in it... it was all perfect... and then he made us!

And then we made religion...

God... just between you and me, you're a really great guy, its just that you've got lousy PR down here! Think about giving the religious leaders the boot and hiring Madison Avenue. Get some ads into some of the more popular magazines and pull the plug on the Watchtower. Some billboards, a TV spot or two, and your in.

Can you imagine some of the slogans?

God has a better idea!

I'd walk a mile for God!

God, He brings new things to light!

Yo quiero, God!

But my favorite is to invent something cuter than a gecko and then go with, "God, 15 minutes or less could say you a whole lot of money on afterlife insurance!"

Well it's been great. You've been a good audience, especially you God. Glad we made you happy tonight. Good night everybody!

• Preston
    Preston

Thanks Swan, your humor is apreciated.... and I do think that the Bible is terrible PR for God

...and I want a Gecko too...

...that does the robot

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

frankie

Well I guess God has genereously given you the gift, but to thoseof us with out faith God is just being stingy, and so according to you logic,, if we do not have faith not our fault, because God has not given it to us.

I never said anything about "fault". Who is the "us" you are speaking of, who else are you speaking for?

D Dog

• Swan
    Swan

Preston,

I guess what I'm saying here, in a round about way, is that ultimately it's not about making God happy. If there is a God, I don't think his happiness is based upon what we do or do not do. The whole argument about making God happy is really made by people who think we should be doing what makes them happy. It really has nothing to do with God, it has to do about power and control and everything conforming to the worldview of those who hit us with first class ticket to The Make God Happy Guilt Trip.

And that to me says they have sad little lives and aren't very happy themselves. They hate it when they see people having happy lives who aren't following their rules; rules they are stuck following. Instead of letting go of the rules and restrictions that make them unhappy, they attack those who are happy instead. And to deceive themselves more than anyone, they use the Make God Happy argument.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit