When have we ever made God happy?

by Preston 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Preston
    Preston

I got a call the other day from a friend of mine who's a devout Christian, and he told me that even though he thought highly of me, he asked how could I (a reference to the marriage to my husband) bring so much anger and pain in God's heart.... It was a pointed question, and at any other time I wouldn't of answered his question in a way that would of resulted in a theological lesson. But I responded almost immediately:

"We must do a pretty good job bringing God so much unhappiness, anger, and upset. Read the whole Bible, how often does God verbally state that he was very happy with someone, or somebody pleased his heart. It seems like our singular purpose on this planet to make God as angry, sad, and resentful with us as humanly possible. In fact he is so pissed with people, he found no other way to make a good attempt at forgiving us other than having his own son sacrificed. And I can assure you having his son sacrificed isn't going to motivate him to think any more highly of us when we pray for forgiveness. Tell me, what could I possibly do to make the situation with God and mankind impove in any such way, when he's upset with people all the time? "

...It was a crass and simplistic way of looking at things but unfortaunately this was the big 100 foot flashing neon sign that made my experience as a JW totally, 100%, unsatisfactory. And even though it made me look like the devil saying it, it was, and always has been my gut feeling about God. And I still feel this way. This isn't a debate about marriage or lifetyle, this is the truth about what I have always believed about God in the Bible. He's never truly happy with people. If the Bible had any other title it would be called, "The Case Against Mankind". I mean, I'm sure there are some references to "God's heart rejoicing" or saying someone was "agreeable to his heart" but it amazes me that he would make such references considering the intricate and innovative ways he's found to destroy as many people as possible in the old testament, even those who slighlty bothered him. The Watchtower always plays out the fact that one of the reasons why it was authentic was because the Bible writers didn't step back from acknowledging their own mistakes and writing about them. I'd like to challange that by hi-lighting the fact that the whole canon of scriptures seems to be heavily biased against mankind. We motivated the flood, sin to come into mankind, the plagues of Egypt, the horrors of Revalation, and the death of his own son. Wow, I would never think God made it so easy for people to feel so close to him. Even my drunken Irish father was easier to please, and less violent!

If God of the Bible exists, he's like the angry boss that when he's not around, everyone breathes a sigh of relief when he's gone away on a trip...

Sorry if this all seems repetitive... thanks for the soapbox

- Preston (of the "sit and that corner and think about what you did" class)

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

When did I make god happy? When I quit bothering him with those silly jw prayers.

How do I know he is happy? by the very fact that he has been silent, I am sure he is happy. He does not bother me and I don't bother him...seems to work for both of us.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I feel it's pretty arrogant of us to think we have any control in the Almighty's emotions.

The Bible itself mentions how we're like dust, like grasshoppers to him. I'm sure he couldn't care any less about our individual situations in life, but rather deals with humanity collectively.

DY

• Will Power
    Will Power

Oh contraire - she knows every hair on your head - you are more precious than a sparrow. bible

• Preston
    Preston
    Oh contraire - she knows every hair on your head - you are more precious than a sparrow. bible

I believe that if there is an enlightened soveriegn lord of the universe then they would know the innermost and most intimate deatils of our lives not as a way of magnifiying their omniscience so as to expound on their greatness. The love you show your wife or husband should be a reflection of how much you know about them. If we are "precious" to God then that means something....

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    If the Bible had any other title it would be called, "The Case Against Mankind".

Or: God goofed when he made angels and humans with a free will and they used it and now he's really pissed off.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I stand by my believe.

God deals with mankind collectively, if at all.

DY

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I wouldn't lose any sleep over such things Preston.

You, are no less Divine than anyone or anything else.

Christians, generally (not always) worship a very small and diminutive concept of God, whose love is excruciatingly conditional and limited.

I suggest you widen your sense of God to be always more and never less: always closer and more accepting and loving than far away judging and condemning.

Just smile and let the children of a lesser god do what they may, there is no need to feel hurt by what they believe or say.

j

• Swan
    Swan

I think the only reason he keeps us around is so that he can be pissed at us and think of new ways to kill us off. I found that very depressing at times and wondered what made him so much different than Satan? Lets see, here's just some of the morbid methods he's used to get rid of us:

• sin, aging, and death after banishing Adam and Eve from paradise
    • transferring (whatever that means -- the WTBTS was never clear about what happened to Enoch)
    • huge flood
    • confusion of languages so that we would have even more reasons to misunderstand and kill each other
    • fire and brimstone; turning us into salt
    • ten plagues
    • tricking people into walking through the Red Sea, and then boom! another flood
    • swallowing people up in a great crack in the earth
    • serpents on the loose in the camp
    • piercing people through the genitals
    • collapsing an entire city except for one house
    • destruction of surrounding nations whose lands were invaded with countless battles and mass slaughters
    • the jawbone of an ass
    • pulling down the pillars of an arena
    • a stone in the forehead
    • human sacrifice
    • being eaten by dogs
    • being mauled by a she bear
    • a sword-swinging angel gone crazy in the night
    • and then after all that killing of the surrounding nations to get the land, destruction of His holy city and enslavement of his chosen people
    • destruction of the enslavers by their enemies (the Medes and Persians)
    • striking people dead where they stand

and then he invented some he hasn't used yet...

• promises of four horsemen to deal out death, war, famine, and pestilence
    • dogs and birds to eat our carcasses
    • wild beasts turning on harlots

you get the idea...

Tammy

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

When I was a child, I was mostly unchurched, but very spiritual.I felt very close to the deity I referred to as God. I didn't think of "God" in the narrow sense of a male being in the sky who was harshly judging us. I felt like God was a very benevolent being who was there to help us and teach us, but didn't butt into every little aspect of our lives. My childhood God expected me to be responsible for my own actions, learn from my mistakes, and treat others the way I wanted to be treated.My childhood God could be one thing to me, and another to someone else, and yet I felt that it was ALL God.

It wasn't until I started getting involved with organised religion that I even knew any other concept of God existed. For a long time, I believed what others told me about this stern, judgemental concept of God, because the people who told me about him seemed so sure. But gradually, I realized that a concept of a God who demands fearful service or retribution didn't allow for true free will, and didn't allow for the type of communion that is derived out of the pure joy and love that one feels when one thinks of the concept of God.I realized my joy was gone, my service was hollow, and that I would rather be dead for eternity than to go through the outward motions of serving such a God.

I was terrified with the idea of leaving the only community I'd known for twenty years, even though I knew I didn't belong there, that it was making me so agitated that my health was failing.Then I had a series of very beautiful, compelling dreams.Was it communication from something divine, or my own psyche? I don't know. All I know is that it gave me the courage to leave a belief system that was destroying me and my family little by little.

And the God of my childhood-be it a Divine being or an archetype of my psyche, it doesn't really matter a bit to me which it is-was there to welcome me back home:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit