Studying the new "Keep on the Watch!" brochure - "Which things?" (page 17)

by ozziepost 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Will,

I was actually thinking about that last night. It seemed quite bizarre, that out of all the names that God could have possibly chosen, he decides that his name is going to be one of "mischief"? I don't get it.

Kwin

• Will Power
    Will Power

Kwin - the word Jehovah was actually put together in the 13th century by a catholic monk in spain. It is not a proper translation it is a "socially acceptable" way to let the other know you are talking about God. Like Allah, like Yaweh.....et al. The WT has admitted this in print. So the question remains - why use a word devised from an arch enemey that translated has ties to the word mischief - and they won't clink glasses cause it calls on spirits - YIKES - THESE THINGS that they teach are nothing but mischief - someone somewhere is having a good laugh.

The bible has God saying his name is Jealous - why aren't they Jealous Witnesses?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yet the WTS overlooks the point that Jesus was condemned by the priestly set because he used the expression "I am" which they recognised was God's name and so they had Jesus condemned for blasphemy.

That being so, it seems strange that Joe Ratherflawed should have picked the name "Jehovah" to be venerated and selected the name "Jehovah's Witnesses". Nah, change that, it really isn't surprising, is it??

• Will Power
    Will Power

There is also 161 times where the word Lord is replaced with Jehovah in the NWT - where there is NO OT reference, citation or indication OTHER THAN THAT OF WT INTERPRETATION cause the text is talking about Jesus and if left as Lord, it would screw up all their WT doctrines.

Then the things that the WT promises for all the WT only reasons would be exposed., Their rags are not needed, the bible speaks for itself, then - there goes the empire.

Velly mischeeevious

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Here is the explaination of why WTS "restored" (the term is their own) "Jehovah" to the NWT Greek Scriptures (or New Testament).

*** w60 5/15 pp. 318-319 Questions from Readers ***"RESTORING THE NAME: What is the modern translator to do? Is he justified, yes, authorized, to enter the divine name into a translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures? Every Greek reader must confess that in the LXX the Greek words ky´ri·os and the·os´ have been used to crowd out the distinctive name of the Supreme Deity. Every comprehensive Greek-English dictionary states that these two Greek words have been used as equivalents of the divine name. Hence the modern translator is warranted in using the divine name as an equivalent of those two Greek words, that is, at places where Matthew, etc., quote verses, passages and expressions from the Hebrew Scriptures or from the LXX where the divine name occurs."

Then to that paragraph there is added a footnote of three paragraphs quoting from three different Greek-English lexicons to show that in the Greek Septuagint version of the Hebrew Scriptures the Greek words ky´rios and theos´ were used to substitute for the divine name, Jehovah.

Now on page 20 of the Foreword, paragraph one says: "How is a modern translator to know or determine when to render the Greek words Κ

ύ ριος and Θε ό ς into the divine name in his version? By determining where the inspired Christian writers have quoted from the Hebrew Scriptures. Then he must refer back to the original to locate whether the divine name appears there. This way he can determine the identity to give to ky´ri·os and the·os´ and he can then clothe them with personality."

This Foreword shows that in the course of time nineteen translations of the Christian Greek Scriptures, or of parts of them, have been made from the Greek into the ancient Biblical Hebrew, and that these Hebrew translators, including Professor Franz Delitzsch and also Dr. Isaac Salkinson and Dr. Christian David Ginsburg, used the name Jehovah or the Hebrew tetragrammaton (with vowel symbols) in translating the writings of Christ?s apostles and disciples, generally known as the New Testament. Thus, before the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures came along, these Hebrew translators put the divine name in the Christian writings officially called the New Testament.

Consequently on page 20 of the Foreword the New World Bible Translation Committee says in the second paragraph: "To avoid overstepping the bounds of a translator into the field of exegesis, we have tried to be most cautious about rendering the divine name, always carefully considering the Hebrew Scriptures. We have looked for some agreement with us by the Hebrew versions we consulted to confirm our own rendering. Thus, out of the 237 times that we have rendered the divine name in the body of our version, there are only two instances where we have no support or agreement from any of the Hebrew versions. But in these two instances, namely, Ephesians 6:8 and Colossians 3:13, we feel strongly supported by the context and by related texts in rendering the divine name. The notes in our lower margin show the support we have for our renderings from the Hebrew versions and other authorities."

Now notice the difference between the above article in 1960 and the currently used NWT reference bible:

*** Rbi8 p. 1565 1D The Divine Name in the Christian Greek Scriptures ***To avoid overstepping the bounds of a translator into the field of exegesis, we have been most cautious about rendering the divine name in the Christian Greek Scriptures, always carefully considering the Hebrew Scriptures as a background. We have looked for agreement from the Hebrew versions to confirm our rendering. Thus, out of the 237 times that we have rendered the divine name in the body of our translation, there is only one instance where we have no agreement from the Hebrew versions. But in this one instance, namely, 1Co 7:17, the context and related texts strongly support rendering the divine name.?See 1Co 7:17 ftn, "Jehovah."

From the NWT:

(Ephesians 6:8) 8

for YOU know that each one, whatever good he may do, will receive this back from Jehovah, whether he be slave or freeman.

(Colossians 3:13) 13

Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely if anyone has a cause for complaint against another. Even as Jehovah freely forgave YOU, so do YOU also.

(1 Corinthians 7:17) 17

Only, as Jehovah* has given each one a portion, let each one so walk as God has called him. And thus I ordain in all the congregations. FOOTNOTE: "Jehovah," in accord with Ro 12:3 and 2Co 10:13; P 46 אABCD(Gr.), ho Ky´ri·os; Sy h and TR, "God."

This still does not explain why the NT did not have "Jehovah" or the tetragrammaton, why Jesus didn't use the name, and why NT quotes of the OT did not use the name. Hmmm....

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Just an interesting quote from the same page (17):

The majority of manking honor gods of their own making. MIllions now before lifeless images. Others glorify human institutions, materialistic philosophies, or their own desires.
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ezekial3 points out -

Page 20 of the Foreword the New World Bible Translation Committee says in the second paragraph: "To avoid overstepping the bounds of a translator into the field of exegesis, we have tried to be most cautious about rendering the divine name, always carefully considering the Hebrew Scriptures. We have looked for some agreement with us by the Hebrew versions we consulted to confirm our own rendering.

I have always thought this most curious - the same statement appears in the forward to the Interlinear, and in the NWT appendix. Or substance.

'To avoid overstepping the bounds of a translator into the field of exegesis'... then immediatly they do just that. They quit 'translating', which is the art of taking a specific document in one language and rendering it into another, and start doctrinizing by insertion of thoughts (or names) that did not appear in the document to be translated. This is just ludricrous. Perhaps it is also blasphemy against God -this I do not know. But if I wrote a book and someone claimed to 'translate', but added or changed what I said, I would not consider it translation, but 'interpretation'.

It is dishonest to claim translation, when it is really indoctrination! No wonder that on most lists of Bible translations the NWT does not even merit mention. But it is an effective mind control tool - which I fear is precisely what Fredrick had in mind!

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

ozziepost

I clicked on the address you posted - I could not get to the page without a password. Do you know where I can see a copy elsewhere? Does the official WT site have it?

Jeff

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Jeff,

If you check on this earlier thread in the series on the brochure, you'll see where the oroginal reference, link and password are given.

Try here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/80426/1.ashx

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit