Deja Vu?

by heart2heart 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Sure! Every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.

"Didn't we cover this same pointless drivel last week?"

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

CodeBlue, I have similar experiences (I know this is NOT DejaVue, but something else), but I dream that I have dreamed the same thing before. I sort of continue the dream, or think in my dream that "but I have experienced this before!", or that "but this is a dream I had 20 years ago!", but whether I had the same dream 20 years ago or 20 seconds ago, I do not know, but I believe it was 20 years ago .....

Strange things, as if one lived parallell lives, and there are junctions or crossings where they meet .........

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

By the way, I forgot - I have Deja Vue three times a week, at every meeting of JWs ..................

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

Here is my theory on deja-vu.

The way the brain takes in information and translates (as far as I know) is as follows: You receive input (Say, from your eyes). This information gets sent to the translation part of your brain which figures out what the hell you're looking at. Once this is done it is sent to your consciousness to be observed by you. Once it's observed it is stored in your memory. Once it is in your memory your brain immediatley tries to find another memory that is similar to this (this is why whenever your see, hear, smell or touch anything you always tend to remember something that is similar to what you're experiencing now). This is how it should work normally.

What if deja-vu is just a glitch in this process? What if, when you look at something it happens this way instead: You recieve visual input. This information gets sent to the translation part of your brain and instead of going to your consciousness first it skips that step and goes into your memory instead. This would happen without you knowing it because it has bypassed your consciousness. Then, while still looking at the object, the process corrects itself and goes to your translator, then to your consciousness, then to your memory. Once this process happens correctly your brain then tries to dig up a memory similar to what you are currently experiencing...WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO BE WHAT YOU ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING AT. It then gives you that eerie feeling of having seen this before because, well, you HAVE! You just weren't aware of it because it began by bypassing your consciousness.

It could be this or it could be something else. There is a portion of your brain that is designed to filter out nonsense. Your brain recieves BILLIONS of sensory input information a second. If you were to be consciously aware of each and every thing you would go into sensory overload. Your consciousness couldn't handle it. So this part of your brain recieves this input first and figures out if it's something worth sharing with your consciousness. It filters out the chaos in other words. What if some of these things that are filtered out are actually dumped into your memory? And then, a split second later, this part of your brain realizes that it really wasn't useless data and decides to share it with your consciousness. Once you are consciously aware of it you dig up the closest similar memory which happens to be what was just filtered out and accidentally stored.

Does this make any sense? I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

• Golf
    Golf

Yes, it has happened to me more than once. I find it interesting, I don't make a big deal out of it because it happens to others. Guest77

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Very interesting theory crinklestein.

Reading your post made me think of something related as a possiblilty. For me, when I experience Deja Vu, it normally reminds me of a dream that I once had.

Could it be, that your brain accidentally files the event in the wrong memory location? It gets stored with dreams that you have, then in the split second it takes, refiles it in your consious thoughts. Because it is already filed in the dream portion of your thoughts, you remember it to have happened previously "in a dream".

That's confusing!

Kwin

• lawrence
    lawrence

Yes, more often when I'm traveling, staying in tents, on a beach in a hammock. A few years ago at Xunantunich (Western Belize Maya Site) while on top of the highest tower I sat on the limestone, and soon was in a ceremony seeing the people below and the rites performed on the temple. It began to rain, but I was unware, and finally when the "dream" was over, I realized how wet (and slick) the limestone had become and had to shimmy down the temple staircases. When I got to the bottom I walked back to San Igancio (roughly 8 miles) in a daze, then found myself in town very quizical.

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

It could very well be the case. Hell, our brains are firing BILLIONS of thoughts per second. Most of which we aren't even aware of. What if these feelings of deja-vu are just some of those thoughts accidentally stored and brought back up to the surface when something similar happens in real life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit