The Polar Express

by teejay 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• teejay
    teejay

The movie jibed very well with thoughts I've been mulling recently. I wish, I wish, I wish I were a believer...

That said, just watch. You wait and see. The Polar Express will become a classic holiday movie. Not quite on the same level as Wizard of Oz in terms of fantasy with a powerful message, but it's definitely in the same league. It is an excellent movie.

• blondie
  • kls
    kls

Not that one Blondie , the movie.......lol

• Scully
    Scully

Thanks for the on this movie, teejay. We're planning to take our girls to see it tomorrow night. I know if we wait until the weekend, we will be forced to endure the Sponge Bob Square Pants movie instead.

Love, Scully

• Purza
    Purza

My boss said he saw it in 3D this weekend at an IMAX theater. He said was "Way Cool". I think we will see it this weekend at the same theater.

Purza

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

TeeJay said:

I wish, I wish, I wish I were a believer...

What do you mean by that T? I was just wondering because I said those exact words ( just one wish thou , hehe) to my son the other day in regards to wishing I was a believer in Christ and God again. I really do miss believing.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

My oldest was given the book as a gift years ago and each of my kids has loved the story. They were excited to see that there was finally a movie made. Here in our town we have an old train depot that puts on a ride each year starting in Duluth and riding up the shore of Lake Superior while there is a book reading done and the I believe Santa is met. The evening ends w/a bon fire and hot chocolate and each child is given a small bell. Sounds like it should be a fun evening!

• teejay
    teejay

What do I mean by that, LyinEyes? I dunno. I just think sometimes that my life would be a lot simpler, even happier maybe, if I was a believer. I've thought that for a long time. Written about it here on the forum. Not just a believer in the JW spiel, I mean, but a believer in god, heaven, life after death. The whole thing. it would be nice living with the thought that a powerful god was looking out for me, directing my steps, instead of knowing that I'm pretty much on my own all the time. I'd feel far less alone.

The advertising for the movie says it's an enchanting production, and it is. It shows a boy on the cusp of disbelief, the age we all go through when we realize there is no Santa Claus. We become smarter, but do we become better? Is our life enhanced with a knowledge that better fits with "reality"? Looking at it, I have my doubts that my life improved at all when I discarded those beliefs I held for so long.

The synopsis of the movie on the website says: "When a doubting young boy takes an extraordinary train ride to the North Pole, he embarks on a journey of self-discovery that shows him that the wonder of life never fades for those who believe."

I could be very wrong, but I think there's a lot of truth in there.

p.s. In his wonderful review of the movie, Roger Ebert says that those who know the Chris Van Allsburg book won't be disappointed. He also says "The Polar Express is a movie for more than one season; it will become a perennial, shared by the generations." I saw nothing in the movie's story or production to suggest that Ebert is wrong about that. I plan on seeing it again with my daughter and buying it when I can, but I have the strange feeling she won't like it nearly as much as I did. It's really not a kid's movie.

Btw, see it in 3-D if you can. Ebert says it's the best 3-D viewing experience he's ever had at the movies.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I hear ya Teej, I have wondered if I am better off sometimes too,,,,,,,,,,since leaving the religion. I wonder if I could would I choose to never have known the real truth about "the truth", just putter on thru the years in ignorance or not. Of course , I sometimes romantize the whole thing because it is easy to do when you mourn a loss of something,,,,,,,,,just looking at the good things and ignoring the bad . I am happy that I do come to my senses and realize that the feelings of loss that I had are proably effects of what a cult can really do to you, and that the things I lost in the religion that I thought I had, can be better replaced by true friends, true brotherhood , true spirituality........ I just have to work hard to look for it.

I have found true friends, in real life and online, I have found true brotherhood as well, with my neighbors in my little town, ( we live in a mixed neighborhood of different races, so it does remind me of growing up JW, with a variety of cultures) ............but the spirituality is something I have held back on a bit in exploring. I don't believe that spirituality is found only behind church doors but I don't want to exclude that avenue either,,,,,,,,so I may be going to my first church sometime soon.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

You guys will figure it out...spirituality is such a self defined process. If you truely search for it, you will find it. I tried churches many years ago.....even got confirmed in one church (lol...then asked to be removed from it)..but they never did much for me. I have a hard time religions. My spirituality was found elsewhere and evolved over time. I notice when my spirituality is in alignment my life runs so smooth. I have a purpose...a meaning. And the best part was the initial exploration while keeping an open mind and finding what suited me. It was a wonderful journey of many steps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit