New Penton Book about the Nazi's

by Beans 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Beans
    Beans

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but James Penton has a new book out called........

Jehovah's Witnesses and the Third Reich: Sectarian Politics under
    Persecution.

Looks like it should be good!

• blondie
    blondie

I have been reading it.

The first point made is showing how through letters, tracts, personal testimony, the WTS tried to ameliorate their relationship with the Nazi government by pointing out that the WTS agreed with the German government that the US and UK were evil governments, controlled by the Jews. Basically, that the WTS and the Nazi government had common enemies and that the WTS supported the overall goals of the Nazi government to bring about better conditions for humans. From the JW 1934 Yearbook, page 134-5, these are excerpts of a letter sent to Hitler by the WTS, penned by Rutherford:

The greatest and the most oppressive empire on earth is the Anglo-American empire. By that is meant the British Empire, of which the United States of America forms a part. It has been the commercial Jews of the British-American empire that have built up and carried on Big Business as a means of exploiting and oppressing the peoples of many nations. This fact particularly applies to the cities of London and New York, the stronghold of Big Business. This fact is so manifest in America that there is a proverb concerning the city of New York which says: The Jews own it, the Irish Catholics rule it, and the Americans pay the bills.
    The present government of Germany has declared emphatically against Big Business oppressors and in opposition to the wrongful religious influence in the political affairs of the nations. Such is exactly our position.
    Instead of being against the principles advocated by the government of Germany, we stand squarely for such principles, and point out that Jehovah God through Christ Jesus will bring about the full realization of these principles and will give to the people peace and prosperity and the greatest desire of every honest heart.
    A careful examination of our books and literature will disclose the fact that the very high ideals held and promulgated by the present national government are set forth in and endorsed and strongly emphasized in our publications and show that Jehovah God will see to it that these high ideals in due time will be attained by all persons who love righteousness[?]

At first in 1974, the WTS, tried to say that the branch servant, Balterzeit, weakened the text of this letter:

Yearbook 1974 p.111

Many in attendance were disappointed in the "declaration," since in many points it failed to be as strong as the brothers had hoped. Brother Mütze from Dresden, who had worked closely with Brother Balzereit up until that time, accused him later of having weakened the original text. It was not the first time that Brother Balzereit had watered down the clear and unmistakable language of the Society's publications so as to avoid difficulties with governmental agencies.
    A large number of brothers refused to adopt it just for this reason. In fact, a former pilgrim brother by the name of Kipper refused to offer it for adoption and another brother substituted. It could not be rightfully said that the declaration was unanimously adopted, even though Brother Balzereit later notified Brother Rutherford that it had been?
    ?the declaration had been weakened and many of the brothers could not wholeheartedly agree to its adoption?

But then in 1998 after information had appeared on the Internet and from other challenges to the 1974 WTS statements, saying that copies of the Declaration in English were essentially the same in the German version, the WTS says this:

Awake! July 8, 1998 page 14

According to the account in the 1974 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses, some German Witnesses were disappointed that the language of the "Declaration" was not more explicit in tone. Had the branch office manager, Paul Balzereit, weakened the text of the document? No, for a comparison of the German and the English texts shows that this is not the case. Evidently, an impression to the contrary was based on the subjective observations of some who were not directly involved in the preparation of the "Declaration." Their conclusions may also have been influenced by the fact that Balzereit renounced his faith only two years later.

And trying to dig out from under their 1934 statement regarding the Jews:

Awake! July 8, 1998 page 14 ***

[regarding the 1934 statement about no "money contributed to our work by Jews" and "commercial Jews of the British-American empire?exploiting and oppressing the peoples of many nations"]

This statement clearly did not refer to the Jewish people in general, and it is regrettable if it had been misunderstood and has given cause for any offense.

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/nazi_conciliation.htm

Second point, after being rebuffed by the Nazi government, then Rutherford penned publications saying that the Nazi government was controlled by Satan and had the German JWs flood Germany from door to door with tracts and resolutions attacking the Nazi government. That led to increased persecution of the German JWs. Rutherford had them do this several times, until in some areas no JWs were free. Not quite being neutral, eh?

The Golden Age, March 10, 1937, p. 362

The Golden Age , March 10, 1937, p. 366. http://www.premier1.net/~raines/conflicts.html

• AlanF
    AlanF

It just struck me that Rutherford's use of ambiguous language to cozy up to the Nazi's to get certain favors is strikingly similar to the Society's use of ambiguous language to cozy up to the UN beginning in 1991. The September 8, 1991 Awake! contained a couple of articles that apparently praised the UN (anyone not familiar with JW doctrine about the role of the UN in Bible prophecy would certainly read it that way) as part of the Writing Department's effort, no doubt led by Awake! editor-in-chief Harry Peloyan, to obtain a UN library card. The second article end with this little masterpiece of doublespeak:

Jehovah?s Witnesses firmly believe that the United Nations is going to play a major role in world events in the very near future. No doubt these developments will be very exciting. And the results will have a far-reaching impact on your life. We urge you to ask Jehovah?s Witnesses in your neighborhood for more details on this matter. The Bible clearly paints a picture showing that the United Nations will very shortly be given power and authority. The UN will then do some very astonishing things that may well amaze you. And you will be thrilled to learn that there is yet a better way near at hand that will surely bring eternal peace and security!

AlanF

• Dansk
    Dansk

What really hurts about all this is that I joined the Jehovah's Witnesses primarily because I felt the organisation was genuinely honest and was nothing like the "hypoctical churches". I was thrilled when I learnt (through the organisation's publications) how the organisation had valiantly stood up against nazism, showed the churches up for what they really were and how it refused to dabble in politics. Then, of course, there was the generation speel about how my family and I would never grow old and die but live to witness Armageddon and live forever on a paradise earth.

Everything I believed in has been shown and PROVEN to be total lies! If only I had done some thorough research of my own (but that was frowned upon because, being worldly, 'it was in the grip of Satan' so the information would be a lie). If only the internet had been around in the early 1980s!

My family is broken up because of the lies inculcated by this heinous cult. It has caused immense emotional damage and I've personally known people commit suicide. And yet still this organisation is allowed to go on.

Make no mistake, thousands more are going to suffer what many of us have suffered. Some will commit suicide. Families will break up because those leaving the "truth" will be shunned, allegience being given to Jehovah's whore of an organisation - the veil blinding the eyes of those brainwashed into not seeing. Fear holds sway!

Nothing surprises me anymore and I sincerely hope James Penton's book, if nothing else, makes those still in the organisation ask questions and do some thorough outside research.

Thankfully, I asked questions and did my research while I was still relatively young - late 40s. I can honestly say, now that I am 50, soon to be 51, I have touched the edge of reality; felt the truth of the real truth. I am at the happiest point in my life ever - even with a fatal disease - and I only wish my girls will renounce the organisation and join me in my discoveries.

A wise teacher of mine said that it takes a Buddhist to understand Christianity. My goodness, how true that statement is. I see it all now, but couldn't then!

Congratulations to all those bringing the truth about the "truth" into the open. I only hope people will not waste their lives trying to take revenge or spend it rubbishing Watchtower when the best answer to it would be to live one's life free and happy. By all means let us help others by exposing Watchtower for what it truly is when they request it, but let us not allow it poison our souls and thereby keep us tied to an organisation we need to be completely free from.

Life is so good when one is truly free.

Ian

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

To Dansk and Blondie

Both excellent comments and research.

Dansk, I am new to these boards, but extend my besh wishes to you in your illness - I was unaware.

Regarding the book - I have just now ordered Penton's other book - Apocalypse Delayed - I am running behind with all these well written historicals coming out. I have only left the Borg in the past few months, and just found these boards recently!

this one looks to be a major expose - hope that it gets into the hands of all who need that extra boost to move out of the movement!

Jeff

• Buster
    Buster

I'm almost done with it myself. Pretty nice recap from Blondie. There is an ad at the top of the page, even as I type this.

As I read, it seemed that some long sections were devoted to making some pretty small points.

On more point that he worked hard to get across: There were some reamarkable stories of individual JWs and their commitment to their faith. While the organization seemed to have no conscience at all when it came to instigating the oppression that these individuals faced. (That damnable drunken hedonist Rutherford)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm ordering it. It should be very interesting. I would also like to see how Penton responds to some of the recent literature which mitigates the published anti-Semitic remarks (cf. Johannes Worbel) and rejects the earlier claims of Konrad Franke (cf. Detlef Garbe). Worbel also dismisses Penton's earlier work out-of-hand, saying it was published in "The Christian Quest, a dubious publication which is, undoubtedly, published by opponents of Jehovah's Witnesses but which could not be established as a publication in any North American library" (p. 332, Persecution and Resistance of Jehovah's Witnesses During the Nazi Regine, 1933-1945).

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Dansk, I am new to these boards, but extend my besh wishes to you in your illness - I was unaware.

Thank you, Jeff. Much appreciated!!

WELCOME to the forum!

Ian

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

By the way Amazon.com is selling these for $35, Freeminds.org's Watchtower Store is selling them for $29 plus $4 shipping. Save a little!

http://www.freeminds.org/sales/books.htm

Randy

Net Soup!

http://www.freeminds.org

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

New for the Holidays from The Watchtower Store! http://www.freeminds.org/sales/newholidays.htm Freeminds' WATCHTOWER STORE has several new items available as gifts over the holidays, or for your personal use.
    We will ship Priority Mail (2-3 days in the U.S.) at no extra charge on these items, you pay just our $4 standard rate. We can ship a gift directly with a personal note as well. Just type PRIORITY in the comments section when checking out of the Shopping Cart.
    Priority shipping offer does not apply to ANY ITEMS NOT ON THIS PAGE (though if your other item is small we may ship it Priority or airmail anyways), multiple books, outside of the U.S., or after January 3rd, 2005.
    Thank you and have a GREAT new year! -- Randy Watters NOTE: Due to slow mail until Dec. 26th, many small items are being sent airmail or
    Priority mail in the U.S. at no extra charge, just
    ask . Net Soup!
    www.freeminds.org
    www.exjws.net
    www.watchtowernews.org
    www.randyTV.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit