Peterson verdict - Double standard?

by chappy 23 Replies latest social current

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    I would suggest that if the fetus is proven to have a brain and brain activity, then it should acquire protected individual status. This occurs around ten weeks - enough time to decide whether or not to carry the baby to term

Oh if it were only that simple. Lots of times you don't find out that your baby has one of a host of genetic disorders until that stage or later in pregnancy. If your baby is born with some of these diseases it will be in constant agony in its short life, lots of times they won't ever get to even go home with you but stay in the hospital on tubes and machines. Sometimes the mother will develope a medical condition where carrying the baby to term will cost her her life. Moral dilemna's yes. Black and white? No. Abortion should never be used as a form of birth control, but there are very sound medical reasons for a person to choose abortion. Personally? I would have a hard time making this decision. But I think that watching my child go through some of the things that these kids go through and then experience their inevitable death, would be worse than mourning their loss through abortion. I don't know what I would do. However one thing I do know, I would never take the right of a parent to choose for themselves what they would do in this very personal and horrible situation. That should not be legislated for them.

btw, I do believe you can be personally against abortion but pro-choice.

Sherry

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

If I shoot a woman who is 2 months pregnant and she survives but I kill the fetus, I would be charged with murder in the majority of states. I consider a two month old fetus to be human and feel that the law would be justified in charging me with murder. In this case the law considers the fetus human as murder only applies to a human being. However the courts do not consider the fetus to be human when an abortion is performed. The child dies during an abortion; it's not human. I shoot the mother and kill the child it is human. You can't have it both ways; it's a double standard.

I think the law is misnamed (Fetal Homicide), but I agree with it. A women should be able to choose to say, have her arm cut off. It's her arm, her choice. If a man comes along and wants to cut off her arm against her will, then that's a crime.

Since the lawmakers having chosen to call it 'homicide' then I suppose abortion could be seen as the legal equivalent 'justifiable homicide'?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

If I shoot a woman who is 2 months pregnant and she survives but I kill the fetus, I would be charged with murder in the majority of states. I consider a two month old fetus to be human and feel that the law would be justified in charging me with murder. In this case the law considers the fetus human as murder only applies to a human being. However the courts do not consider the fetus to be human when an abortion is performed. The child dies during an abortion; it's not human. I shoot the mother and kill the child it is human. You can't have it both ways; it's a double standard.

chappy

I bolded your statement about a two month old fetus being human, I was just wondering what it is at lets say 1 month 28 days? IMHO as a woman who has carried 5 babies to term I can certainly tell you they are human from conception on.

Yes I agree it is a double standard but it's aimed to please the few not the majority. Murder is murder plain and simple.

• wasasister
    wasasister
    Yes I agree it is a double standard but it's aimed to please the few not the majority. Murder is murder plain and simple.

Who are the "few" in your quote above that a double standard is aimed to please?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    Yes I agree it is a double standard but it's aimed to please the few not the majority.

What is aimed to please the few?

Murder is murder

Agreed. I doubt there is anyone that would dispute that.

• Simon
    Simon

If you are firing a gun at a pregnant woman then you deserve to fry. I don't care if there is any disparity in law, the action is dumb and IMO marks you as a non-human. Killing someone who has done that is quite rightly not classed as murder (ie. execution).

• wasasister
    wasasister
    Killing someone who has done that is quite rightly not classed as murder (ie. execution).

I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with Simon.

While I appreciate what Bikerchick is saying, the black & white statement: "murder is murder" is baffling to me. Is taking a human life ever justified?

• Mary
    Mary
    Are we sure that Laci wanted the baby?

From all accounts, she was thrilled to be having a baby. It makes me sick to think that this beautiful young woman died at the hands of the man she loved. He's a sick son of a bitch and he deserves to die for what he did.

• wednesday
    wednesday
    A women should be able to choose to say, have her arm cut off. It's her arm, her choice. If a man comes along and wants to cut off her arm against her will, then that's a crime

No doctor would remove a arm , leg , whatever without a really good reason. Just wanting it removed is not a good reason. Most people would consider the person insane. Neither can u just take your life just b/c it is your life.

I believe abortion is killing a human life.

Sometimes people do kill others, and at times we call it justifed. I do not believe that barring a horrible defective disease or an illness or disease in the mother that would render her incapable of life, that killing a fetus is a choice. I believe it is murder.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    No doctor would remove a arm , leg , whatever without a really good reason. Just wanting it removed is not a good reason. Most people would consider the person insane. Neither can u just take your life just b/c it is your life.

It was just an analogy . How about this one: A man wants to remove his penis (it happens all the time), because that's his choice. It is not the same as someone else choosing to remove another man's penis. Better?

I believe abortion is killing a human life.

You and about 50% of Americans, it's totally okay.

Sometimes people do kill others, and at times we call it justifed. I do not believe that barring a horrible defective disease or an illness or disease in the mother that would render her incapable of life, that killing a fetus is a choice. I believe it is murder.
    Killing a fetus is a choice.. I don't understand what you mean. Even if you think it's murder, it's still a choice. Once again, murder is the UNLAWFUL taking of a human life. Abortion is legal, therefore not unlawful, therefore it's not murder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit