ACLU opposes "critical thinking" (on evolution) textbook sticker

by hooberus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• hooberus
    hooberus

Read the sticker (photograph in arcticle), and let me know what you think.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2004/1112sticker.asp

I think that the ACLU is clearly engaging is censorship.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I guess it isn't unconstitutional. It doesn't promote a religion in specific. It is also precisely correct and gives a healthy dose of advice.

That being said... the motivation is religious. Probably Christian in nature. But in and of itself, it is not a threat to student mental health and could be a nice compromise to this whole evolution / creationism in schools thing.

I think the ACLU should just let this one go - they are in danger of promoting atheism, which is a religion in and of itself and also has no place in school.

CZAR

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    While it would be very encouraging to see the sticker stick in this important court case, in the long run, the battle is really much bigger than fighting school boards and organizations like the ACLU. This battle between worldviews (evolution vs. six-day creation account) is really about seeing our society return back to biblical authority, beginning with the church.

The religious and political agenda is clear. How bitterly funny to see the most obscurantist crowd waving the flag of "critical thinking"...

Such a thing is completely unthinkable in Europe now. But for how long?

• Swan
    Swan

The problem is that they haven't gone far enough. All of their science textbooks should have similar stickers.

For the chemistry textbook:

This textbook contains material on atomic theory. The atom is a theory, not a fact, regarding the make-up of all matter and the means to destroy the entire world. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered.

For the physics textbook:

This textbook contains material on Einstein's Theory of Relativity. Time and space is a theory, not a fact, regarding the fundamental limits of our universe. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered.

For the electronic textbook:

This textbook contains material on electrical theory. Electricity is a theory, not a fact, regarding the power we use in our homes everyday. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered.

For the mathematics textbook:

This textbook contains material on numerical theory about the infinity pi. Pi is a theory, not a fact, regarding the a number that is widely thought to be indeterminate. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered.

Tammy

BTW, be careful the next time you cross a arched bridge in Cobb County, Georgia. It may collapse. Of course, also, it may not. Guess it depends on if you have faith in it or not.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Evolution for all intents and purposes is an established fact. (The exact mechanisms which drive evolution are theoretical.)

It's hard for me to side with you on this, Hooberus, when the sticker is an outright lie.

• Dawn
    Dawn
    Evolution for all intents and purposes is an established fact. (The exact mechanisms which drive evolution are theoretical.)

Evolution does explain why we have so much variety of species on our planet, but it can not explain or prove how the original "life" came to be, or what gives life. Those questions are all still answered with only theories.

I love watching debates between creationists vs. evolutionists - both sides have their "proof" but the bottom line is that neither side can prove where exactly the spark of life began. Both sides accept their point of view on faith - the creationist has faith that it was God, the evolutionists has faith it was not.

• Dawn
    Dawn

By the way Dr....shouldn't you be at work?

We'll have to get together again soon! I think it's time for some holiday cheer

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hell, if the bible thumpers want to put their ideas in science books, then the scientists should be able to put the following sticker in all bibles:

This bible contains material on god. God is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of everything. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered.
  • drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    but it can not explain or prove how the original "life" came to be, or what gives life. Those questions are all still answered with only theories.

You are of course correct. Evolution provides no answer to the origin of life. Actually evolution doesn't even attempt to answer that question; it only discusses how already-living organisms change over time.

The topic of "Abiogenesis" is what attempts to answer that question, but it is highly theoretical. Theology doesn't provide any concrete proof here, either... it's more of a matter of faith.

My point in this thread was that the sticker placed in the biology textbooks is just plain wrong. The religious people in this community just felt that evolution was devastating to their faith so they resorted to this tactic. Too bad they can't consider the possibility that God may have created the evolutionary process!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    By the way Dr....shouldn't you be at work?

I was at work! LOL!

We'll have to get together again soon! I think it's time for some holiday cheer
    Definitely... we need some hard cider. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit