Low Carb or Low Calorie?

by Swan 22 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    they have discovered that artificial sweeteners act as a trigger and they have since changed the diet to eliminate them.

Artificial sweeteners alone will not cause weight gain (they have zero calories). I think some people have a misconception about foods with artificial sweeteners... you can't just go crazy with them and eat all you want. The calories present will still affect your weight.

See this web site for more info on that topic. If you have other information which indicates nutrasweet will *directly* cause weight gain, I'd like to see it. As a zero calorie food additive, that really shouldn't be possible. Your diet coke should be fine.

• Swan
    Swan

Katie,

My point is don't be discouraged, try both types of diets if you find the first one doesn't work for you go to another type ie: calories vs/carbs.

Good point. I have several diet books now, so if one doesn't work, I'll try another one. Hopefully this one will work for me, or at least help me get my carb cravings under control. If I can get the cravings under control, I can cut calories with no problem. Thanks for the best wishes.

Emma,

I've found for the long haul that being sensible, not depriving yourself too much, and exercise are what have worked. Exercise seems to be the key in so many studies, and I know it is for me.

And if I want dessert, I keep it small and eat it with dinner.

Good points too. Unfortunately exercise is out until my foot heals. Not feeling deprived is so important. This diet stresses that you can have anything you want for a reward at dinner. You must eat a salad first, and then you must balance the rest of your meal in roughly equal thirds. Protein, good carbs, and reward carbs.

Last night I had a small dish of Dreyers Light chocolate ice cream with Hershey's syrup. Along with the dollop of mashed potatoes and gravy, that was one third of my meal. Pork chops were the another third, and green beans the other third.

Oh, and I had to eat it all within one hour or forfeit the food. The diet book claims that this helps keep my body from over producing insulin. They say that for carb addicts, keeping the insulin at normal levels keeps the carb cravings at bay.

Dr. Watson,

Thank you. That is a good website. This was a good quote:

Using sugar substitutes may also perpetuate our need for sweet foods. How many times have you had pie or cake with your diet soft drink? That is not the way to lose weight.

I think the doctors of this diet are claiming something similar. They aren't saying that the artificial sweeteners actually produce any fat. I think they mean that the sweeteners trigger the carb cravings in some people that lead to binging. The body starts over producing insulin, which leads to cravings for more carbs in some people (but not all people. There is a test in their book; I was borderline moderate to severe.)

I am going to drink up the Diet Coke with dinner, I think, since that is my reward meal and it is okay to produce insulin then, just not during the rest of the day. I will play it by ear while I get used to the diet, and if I find it to be a problem, I will curtail the sweeteners at dinner too.

Tammy

• Coqueton
    Coqueton

Neither... Exercising is the key as well as eating heaqlthy foods. Go eat low carb at Mcdonalds and don't exercise and you'll be fatter! Get on a good workout routine and work out with a buddy. Eat your largest meal 1st, meaning breakfast. Eating after dark isn't as efficient as taping the food to your theighs and belly because that is where it will end up. I know a little about fitness. I used to be 6 feet tall and 150 pounds. 3 years ago I looked in the mirror and hated my body. I had the typical spare tire and my belly stuck out more than my chest. Now I could have blamed many things and made excuses and remained with an ugly body "that wasn't my fault." Instead, I acted like a real man and made radical changes in my lifestyle. After 2 years, I have really been transformed. I now weigh 200 pounds, have gained 50 pounds of muscle, people get out of my way, even people that I think are bigger than me. I've been in some scary crap in 3rd world countries and feel the only reason I'm not dead and in a dumpster is my physical size. I still work out daily and eat lots of protein. The only bad thing for guys with eating lots of protein and working out alot is you are gonna want to hit alot of a$$. But even that is good cardio exercise if you aren't a minute man and make it go for hours. So many people focus on the food and not exercise. Food is important but the two must work together. Maintaining your workout routine forever is also important so you don't lose gains. cheers to all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit