Low Carb or Low Calorie?

by Swan 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

It had worked very well for me too.

Flat mommy tummy and all.

I saw a show where a supermodel said that before she does a shoot she will cut back on the carbs to eliminate the celulite on her thighs.

Different diets work on different people, for some reason Atkins was the only one that worked on me

• Swan
    Swan

Just an update on this:

My diet books arrived in the mail on Saturday, and in looking them all over I decided that I would try the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet by Rachael and Richard Heller. It seems to address the problems I have had in the past concerning cravings for carbs.

So far so good. But I was craving carbs a bit yesterday afternoon. I saw on their website that since publishing this book in 1993 they have discovered that artificial sweeteners act as a trigger and they have since changed the diet to eliminate them. So that may be what was happening, since I went with Equal in my morning coffee and a Diet Coke for lunch. So today I am eliminating the artificial sweeteners, which I don't go for normally anyway. I just wish I had read that website before I went out and bought that box of Diet Coke on Sunday.

However, I also read on their website that, in addition to the six to eight glasses of water you're supposed to eat, I can drink black coffee or black tea all day, and I was just limiting this to meals. So tea will be a nice pick me up when I get yawny in the afternoon.

It just seems strange to be on a diet and eating bacon and eggs in the morning. That is so contrary to low fat diets I have been on in the past.

This diet will also let me feast on Thursday, which is American Thanksgiving day, as long as eat a salad first, and balance my proteins, good carbs, and bad carbs. I love turkey, but I like to eat some of it plain and some with cranberry sauce. This diet will let me do both.

Tammy

PS: Stefanie, you have mail!

PS: Stefanie, I just got your reply so ignore the line above.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

The cravings should end within two days three at the most. Its going to be fairly easy after that..

I know about the diet soda, i am gonna have to loose that.

Going to check my message.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I found this site for counting calories:

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/category.php?category_id=51&partner =

I was eating roughly 3500 calories then I cut it back to approximately 2000. It's been a month and I've lost about 13 pounds (I don't remember exactly what I weighed before). I eat Cheerios for breakfast and skip lunch. Sometimes I eat a few peanuts to take the edge off. If/when I get down to 200 (ideally I'd like to be 190) I might start up lunch again.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Chris I checked out that web site and it looks like a good one, I think I'll register and join it too. It sure will make me be accountable for my intake! Those little nibbles really add up, it's surprising.

Tammy there was a time when I did really well on the Atkins diet it was the first serious diet I did during my child bearing years and it always helped me lose the baby weight and keep it off. Plus I really liked that kind of food.

Years later I found it just didn't work for me at all and I was really surprised, I finally gave up and started counting calories and volia! it worked for me. I don't know what or why my body shifted but it just did and now I'm doing the calorie counting thing. I do find I have to be real restrictive more than most and that I have to include LOTS of exercise to get my sluggish metabloism in gear to start loosing weight. It's a bummer but then hauling around these extra pounds is a bigger bummer.

My point is don't be discouraged, try both types of diets if you find the first one doesn't work for you go to another type ie: calories vs/carbs.

Good luck to all of us!

• Special K
    Special K

Hmm

Carbohydrate Addicts Diet by Rachael and Richard Heller

I'll have to have a look at that one.

I have no problem loseing weight when I want to .. it's just the damn cravings and suffering from the munchies that bother me. Crunch/crunch/crunch..crunchies.

Special K

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I think I'll register and join it too

I didn't register. I just use to check out home cooked meals so I can get an idea of what I'm eating. You can type in practically anything and it'll give you the calorie count.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Wow thanks for the tip Chris! Although I think I will register plop down the bucks and make a commitment to myself. Money talks, LOL! It sure is a lot cheaper than some others I've seen and like I said I just need some real facts/figures to keep me accountable, the mirror I can hide and I always have a size up in clothes.........ugg!

• waiting
    waiting

reduced caloric intake, regular exercise & drinking AT LEAST 8 glasses a water a day.

Tried & proven - no matter what types of food. It takes a continued - vigilent - effort to take weight off and then the same effort (but more fun shopping) to keep weight off.

I've lost 50 lbs over the last year at Weight Watchers. Through them & other reading, I'm eating calories & carbs that have a significant impact on health & weight - and really value the support meetings. I eat 6 small meals a day - as I suspect I'm insulin resistant & very, very, seldom feel hunger. However, if I start eating sweets on a regular basis, or sweetener substitutes.......the sugar/carb craving comes back. It does take vigilence & self-awareness.

I've tried Atkins about 5 times......would lose 15 lbs, then no more, and actually get physically sick. It doesn't work well with anyone in my family.

10% loss of your body weight is a great start for all sorts of ills, particularily knees & heart (and a size smaller.)

There was a smoking study done recently (on news program - the other one without Katie & Matt) - the smokers who were part of a regular support group had a tremendous advantage in results over the loners. Their support group was through the internet.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

waiting

• Emma
    Emma

I've found for the long haul that being sensible, not depriving yourself too much, and exercise are what have worked. Exercise seems to be the key in so many studies, and I know it is for me.

My latest diet/nutrition book was, "Take Two Apples and Call Me in the Morning" by Judy Stone. She has a very balanced, nutrition centered approach to carbs. There are some things I question in the book, but in all, I found it helpful.

I eat a piece of dark chocolate almost every day - its my medicine! And if I want dessert, I keep it small and eat it with dinner. I've lost over 100 pounds, and though I could stand to loose a few more, I've been successful at keeping it off for about four years.

Emma

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit