Circuit Overseer's Talk: " We need 5 meetings a week and weekly mags"

by truthseeker 39 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

At the Circuit Overseer's talk last week he made the comment that some "of the friends" are finding it difficult to move ahead with Jehovah's Organization (TM)

The CO said that a few had asked, "is it necessary to have 5 meetings a week, and a magazine every other week?"

Yes, the CO said.

"Couldn't we do without one meeting a week, and have monthly editions of the Watchtower?", he then asked.

"Noooo" he slowly said.

"Why is the journey towards the new world so hard?", some may ask.

The Circuit Overseer asked us to get out our "See the Good Land!" brochure, the one with all the maps in. In this brochure, is an account and graphical depiciton of the route the Israelites took when they left Egypt.

What follows next is cultish reasoning.

The CO compared the Israelites trek through the wilderness, for 40 years, with our "trek" to the new system today.

When the Israelites left Egypt, Jehovah could have taken them the shortest route to the Promised Land. But he didn't.

The CO used the scripture at Exodus 13:17

"And it came about at the time of Pharaoh's sending the people away that God did not lead them by the way of the land of the Philistines just because it was near, for God said: "It might be the people will feel regret when they see war and will certainly return to Egypt."

So, the reason the Israelites didn't take the shortest route, was because Jehovah was worried there would be a big battle and the Isrealites would run back to Egypt. Fair enough.

But, what does this have to do with Jehovah's Witnesses? Absolutely nothing.

But, according to the CO, Jehovah is leading his people today the "hard way", not the "easy way", so as to build in us, "the tested quality of faith."

"Yes", the CO admits, "we are very busy people in Jehovah's Organization. We have 5 weekly meetings to attend and prepare for, we have field service, conventions and assemblies, we have the magazines to keep up with, the Yearbook and new releases. Do we need all this literature? Yes brothers and sisters, we do."

So this is the message coming out of Crooklyn

Don't think for one moment that life in a cult will ever get easier, it won't - it will get harder and harder.

Consider the bible passage below, and then think of the Watchtower today...

1 Kings 12: 9-11

"And he went on to say to them: "What is it that you are offering in counsel that we may reply to this people who have spoken to me saying,

'Make the yoke that your father put upon us lighter?'

In turn the young men that had grown up with him spoke to him saying: 'This is what you should say to the people who have spoken to you

saying, 'Your father for his part, made our yoke heavy, but, as for you, make it lighter upon us'; this is what you should speak to them, 'My little

finger itself will certainly be thicker than my father's hips. And now my father, for his part, loaded upon YOU a heavy yoke; but I, for my part,

shall add to YOUR yoke. My father, for his part, chastised YOU with whips, but I, for my part, shall chastise YOU with scourges."

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Bad flock! Bad flock! <spank>

Are you in the same cong as my mother? She just had her CO visit.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Nosferatu I don't think I'm in your mom's congregation.

The CO's talk made me want to puke. And watching all the dubs head nod up and down when he said, "Brothers, we need 5 meetings a week" was unbelievable.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

"some "of the friends" are finding it difficult to move ahead with Jehovah's Organization (TM)"

They're moving ahead? They're saying and doing the same stupid things, the same stupid way, as they were 21 years ago when I first got involved with them. What, exactly, has moved forward in the last 20 years?

Are they preaching via email and internet? No, they're still out knocking on doors when they know damn well the householders are out at work.

Are they distributing watchtowers and awakes online in .pdf format? No, they're still using the same old poor quality paper.

Are they taking advantage of the internet and video-conferencing technology to allow sick members to attend the meetings? No, they still use unreliable telephone tie-in equipment that only a few preselected people can use at a time.

Are they implementing more flexible meeting times so that people who do shiftwork, attend night classes, or have unbelieving mates can be accomodated? Some do, but it's rare. One hall I was in had a BS on Saturday mornings to accomodate some people, but the CO put a stop to that!!! In 20 years I only found one hall that had meetings on Wednesday nights. The rest all used Tuesdays and Thursdays. It makes it hard to take evening courses, which, for the most part, seemed to be running on Tuesdays and Thursday nights. I wonder if that was just a coincidence?

In the 20 years I was a JW, the only thing I saw moving ahead were the constant changes in their lies.

Yeah, keeping up with that could very well be a full time job.

Walter

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    In the 20 years I was a JW, the only thing I saw moving ahead were the constant changes in their lies.

that's the only "moves" I've seen this organization make the thirty years I've known them to exist also.

good observations..

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

iiz2cool, spot on there!!!

They don't want our lives to get easier.

The Circuit Overseer actually said, that "we need these things to keep US BUSY in Jehovah's service, since we don't want to get distracted."

And you know what happens when people get distracted, they don't pay attention to what's being said.

They get bored, and look elsewhere.

So, keep those presses printing!

• PointBlank
    PointBlank

Quite a contrast with Jesus' words in Matt 11: 28-30...

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]

Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.

For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good--not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne.

--The Amplified Bible

I guess they would rather stay in Egypt. Bondage can be blinding sometimes.

PB

• Swan
    Swan

Bad analogy!

The Israelites had:

The Ten Commandments

The Ark of the Covenant

A miraculous cloud over the ark by day, and a pillar of fire by night

The ten plagues of Egypt and their newly found freedom

A miraculous escape through the parting of the Red Sea

Manna, water from stone, and the copper serpents

A set date for their nomadic punishment! 40 years!

JWs have:

No real miraculous proof that Jehovah is behind them or even that he exists or that the Exodus account really did happen

Several prophetic dates (1889, 1914, 1925, 1941, 1975, 2000), none of which have resulted in the terminus of their wanderings

No clear set of commandments set in stone; the Watchtower has flip-flopped in its rules more than any politician

Tammy

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

What part of the US do you live in? Just curious. No need to mention the specific town or county.

• Mary
    Mary
    "Yes", the CO admits, "we are very busy people in Jehovah's Organization. We have 5 weekly meetings to attend and prepare for, we have field service, conventions and assemblies, we have the magazines to keep up with, the Yearbook and new releases. Do we need all this literature? Yes brothers and sisters, we do."

And he can back this divine revelation up using..........what scriptures?? Funny, I don't recall the 1st Century Christians being forced to attend 5-f*cking-meetings-a-week, or having to attend Circuit and District assemblies.....I don't recall any commandment stating that you have to get a minimum of 10 hours in Service every month in order to be an elder, or for that matter, I don't recall anyone in the 1st century congregation going out and banging on people's doors on a regular basis----preaching was done in synagogues and in public places, not by going door to door. And there's certainly no scriptures to even hint that you need to report how many hours you go out every month to the powers that be.

I'd like to compare the Governing Body with the Pharisees of Jesus' day, but the Pharisees have got NOTHING on these turkeys!

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. For My yoke is wholesome and My burden is light and easy to be borne.

Amen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit