Sometimes I don't know where I belong in the 'Christian Community'

by Love, Me 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Your not alone, a half dozen people have already identified with you without you 'leaving the house'.

Some suggestions I would be comfortable giving would be

1. don't be watching the news
    2. have some quality time
    3. look at nature
    4. go easy on burdens
    5. you don't have to do anything - don't be told that you need to buy oil

You live in one of the greastest bastions of materialistic, self-righteous fundamentalism ever seen - the secular anglo-christian practice of religion has historic association with the blind haughty control of the "less worthy" and the finest ideals of that may well be your worst nightmare - perhaps what you're asking is "how can I breathe here, and how can I love them?"

Our church is in the surf - a quiet place where I see a few like minded spirits, and we can appreciate the Creator - sometimes we have a symbolic sacrifice backyard barbeque, I'm often the high priest cook and the rest of the family symbolically celebrate the Sabbath take it easy.

When you feel well enough to eat, there's plenty - poor and ill who have been blessed broken and handed out for you - and you'll find lots of people in that church, some who feast don't even appear to have heard of Jesus.

• Love, Me
    Love, Me

Wow! Awesome, thoughtful replies & suggestions. I will really take them to heart.

Part of my problem is we moved out of state and I'm now a stay at home mom. Part of going to church for me, besides making a spiritual connection was meeting people -and I have met a few. The church I attend is actually pretty nice -they don't tell you who to vote for or anything. The sermons have been practical and biblical. I feel kind of guilty for feeling this way -everyone at church has been nothing but nice to me. Perhaps I just feel like a phony.

I don't feel like I can ever get beyond my JW prejudices and I want to so desperately. I guess I want the comfort of community and spirituality that comes with attending church but I don't want to put on the 'act' just to fit in. I probably need to stop being so hard on myself.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Christianity, like ice cream, comes in many flavors. I've been to many, many Christian churches, and I must say, that most of them are not political. You'll find politics mostly in the Evangelicals... they are the group that perhaps feels more threatened and that they must get involved to "thwart" the "threat".

Keep it simple, keep searching for a church you feel comfortable in. Also, if you ever watch any of the TV preachers (some are not very good), Joel Osteen is someone to check out. He preaches very "positive" messages on just getting through life, serving your fellow man, and not being judgemental. I think you can find him on the web. His church is somewhere in Texas. Hopes this helps.

D.E.

• bebu
    bebu

I think there is a time for everything... as the verse goes. We learn to appreciate different aspects of life as we go along.

There's a time for gathering together, and a time for being alone. Both can be very beneficial.

Love is something that we practice in a community. Sometimes we learn it in a community.

Let me recommend Brennan Manning as an author. One of his best books is "The Ragamuffin Gospel".

Take care!!

bebu

• heathen
    heathen

Jesus did say that where ever there are 2 or 3 gathered together in my name so also I shall be among them . I know exactly how you feel because I feel the same way . I still believe in God , I just hate religion because of all the hypocrisy and manipulation , You are right the constant politics involved like you are supposed to vote republican because of this conservative belief is just about all I can stand to begin with . I can't stand all the con games from the televangelists either .

• missy04
    missy04

Hey,...

I really know how you feel...

OK, I was not associated with the organization for long, but I am very impressionable. Not that I ever entirely bought what they were saying, at least about everything, but some of it seemed right.

So now that I am out of it, for some reason, I see seriously flaws with people who say they are Christians..not that I am judging,..just wondering how this can be the REAL truth...people who go to church on Sunday (sometimes) then come home and do whatever they feel like..

I feel like this...Since I have stopped going to the meetings,..well, before then, I have this nagging thought at the back of my mind, first that there was more than the organization, and now that I am out, that there is still something more...How can a true Christian religion be one that has SO MANY DIFFERENT doctrines?? Trinity or different beings?? ?Hell or Gehena?? Some pray to Jesus, God or some Mary...Catholics, Prodestants, 7th Day Adventists, Methodists, Apostolic...and they all beleive they are the ones who have it right. ME? I can't just beleive what I was always tought or whatever sounds good...I want to know for sure.

To me, these are pretty big differences,..and how can that be right?? How can I choose which is right and how can I understand? I can't understand the Bible, really. Alot of the points, but then alot of it just boggles my mind and scares me.

I beleived when I stopped going to the meetings that I was doing the right thing, and that God would bless me and help me understand things that were torturing my mind...and I really feel empty.

Something happened yesterday that I prayed and prayed and prayed for for four days straight. When it happened and it all turned out good, all of a sudden I realized I didn't know if I really beleived it was because I prayed for it. Really is scaring me. I am really scared that God doesn't even hear me talk to him.

But anyways,..long story short, I beleive that being involved with the Witnesses did a number on messing that part of my life up.

Anyway I just wanted to let ya know I know how you feel to some degree.

What Bible do you read?

~Sarah

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    You'll find politics mostly in the Evangelicals...

That's rubbish! maybe a lot in the USA but the US isn't the world - is it?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Sarah,

You're called to have a relationship with Christ, not an organisation. It's only secondary where you fellowship.

A good friend of mine expresses it this way: "I'm a christian and at the moment I fellowship with an Anglican church".

BTW he's an ordained minister too!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Love, Me:

Firstly, welcome to the forum to you from downunder. We're mighty glad to have you aboard!

Re your post here: my comments to Sarah also apply to your post too. If you have a personal commitment to Christ, everything else is secondary - like where you fellowship and so on.

I guess that's it really!

God bless.

Ozzie

• heathen
    heathen

I think the thing that really turns me off about organized religion is the fact that they are more interested in the almighty dollar than anything else . I don't even consider being a part of any church but would sooner start my own as a j-- dub once suggested because I challenged some of the teachings that did not make sense besides the WTBTS was caught in the act of fornication with their most hated enemy the UN of which I knew nothing about until I became a member of this board . They even tried their best to cover over this transgression with a bunch of double talk to try and confuse everybody , I think you can expect this kind of behavior from any church that calls itself christian and I want no part of it .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit