friend

by teejay 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

I have this laminated and hangs on my office wall:

A simple Friend has never seen you cry.

A real Friend has shoulders soggy from your tears.

A simple Friend doesn't know your parent's first names.

A real Friend has their phone numbers in his phone book.

A simple Friend brings a bottle of wine to your party.

A real Friend comes early to help you cook and stays late to help you clean.

A simple Friend hates it when you call after he has gone to bed.

A real Friend asks you why you took so long to call.

A simple Friend seeks to talk to you about your problems.

A real Friend seeks to help you with your problems.

A simple Friend wonders about your romantic history.

A real Friend could blackmail you with it.

A simple Friend, when visiting, acts like a guest.

A real Friend opens your refrigerator and helps himself.

A simple Friend thinks the friendship is over when you have an argument.

A real Friend knows that it's not a friendship until after you've had a fight.

A simple Friend expects you to always be there for them.

A real Friend expects to always be there for you!

I've had that on my wall for several years.. ironincally it was a dub who went it to me.. who I no longer talk to.. turns out he was a simple friend.

To me a real friend will drop what they are doing when you are having a crisis, call and check on you and for that moment put their things aside to help you deal with what ever you need to deal with.........even if it is just to be a listening ear. They know that you will do the same for them in their time of crisis..

and confidentiality? that blackmail material they have as noted in the verse above, they have it, but they would never use it. That was why you trusted them with the information in the first place.. (that and the fact you have their trust and info as well)

A real friend, doesn't have the world revolve around them. They think about you too...

and most of all to me a real friend is not a conditional friend.. like Mulan's friend above.. that is a real friend. I wish my dub friends had been that kind of friend. I'm not even dfd and I still got the shun.. those were my simple and temporary friends... fake.. for they were built on a world of untruths.

Now I build friendships with real people and they add beauty to my life in the most wonderful way. I can count on them if I need them, not like a servant, because that isn't it. It is about caring. You can pay for services, but you can't pay for their heart. That comes from things that are real inside.

• teejay
    teejay
    I've learned to not try to recreate a family I no longer have, with every potential *friend* I come across.
    This is something I've realized very recently too ..

I don't really need to say anything, do I SP?

• Preston
    Preston

My husband and I talk about this topic occasionally and...I can honestly say I think there are few people in the world I would consider my friends. I think you just know when you have a friendship with another person. You guys care about each other, you talk to each other, and there'sa degree of intimacy that unparallel than with an acquaintance.

• teejay
    teejay

Question: can you establish a real, live friendship ONLINE? With someone you've never laid eyes on? With someone who's so far away that they wouldn't be able to bail you out of jail? Or be the one who goes through your stuff when you die?

Put simply... are online friendships real?

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger
    Question: can you establish a real, live friendship ONLINE? With someone you've never laid eyes on? With someone who's so far away that they wouldn't be able to bail you out of jail? Or be the one who goes through your stuff when you die?

All I can say, is that I *feel* honored to call you friend Teejay. I would feel honored to send the money via the air waves to bail you out of jail.

I *feel* honored to have made a few friends online, that have been further strengthened in real life conversations, and getting to know them face to face. The same way I would feel honored to meet YOU face to face, and further strengthen a wonderful *online* relationship.

Not all *friends* turn out to be that way, especially when meeting online. But that's not unlike real life is it?

So simply put - YES.

• teejay
    teejay
    and confidentiality? that blackmail material they have as noted in the verse above, they have it, but they would never use it. That was why you trusted them with the information in the first place..

I've put myself 'out there' with certain people. Purposely. Just to see if they were trustworthy. Given them my real name, my real phone number... where I live. My daughter's name.

So far, no injuries.

I've made friends online.

• riz
    riz

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

i don't know who came up with that, but i've always liked it

• teejay
    teejay

Riz!!! Where you been, Girl!!!?

• Xena
    Xena
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

HEY...I have friends like that

And you can make the best of friends online...I know that's where I found my very bestest friend and a few other pretty good ones...

• riz
    riz

hey teej!!

i stopped posting after i had a little scare last year. how retarded is it that in 2004 a person has to worry that their family will shun them for the most trivial shit?

so long story short, i decided i'm a big girl and if someone has a problem with me, they can go ahead and pucker up because i can't be bothered with their silliness.

missed ya.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit