Why Americans Hate Democrats?A Dialogue

by Elsewhere 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://slate.msn.com/id/2109218/

Why Americans Hate Democrats?A Dialogue
    The unteachable ignorance of the red states.
    By Jane Smiley
    Updated Thursday, Nov. 4, 2004, at 3:24 PM PT

The day after the election, Slate's political writers tackled the question of why the Democratic Party?which has now lost five of the past seven presidential elections and solidified its minority status in Congress?keeps losing elections. Chris Suellentrop says that John Kerry was too nuanced and technocratic, while George W. Bush offered a vision of expanding freedom around the world. William Saletan argues that Democratic candidates won't win until they again cast their policies the way Bill Clinton did, in terms of values and moral responsibility. Timothy Noah contends that none of the familiar advice to the party?move right, move left, or sit tight?seems likely to help. Slate asked a number of wise liberals to take up the question of why Americans won't vote for the Democrats. Click here to read previous entries.

I say forget introspection. It's time to be honest about our antagonists. My predecessors in this conversation are thoughtful men, and I honor their ideas, but let's try something else. I grew up in Missouri and most of my family voted for Bush, so I am going to be the one to say it: The election results reflect the decision of the right wing to cultivate and exploit ignorance in the citizenry. I suppose the good news is that 55 million Americans have evaded the ignorance-inducing machine. But 58 million have not. (Well, almost 58 million?my relatives are not ignorant, they are just greedy and full of classic Republican feelings of superiority.)

Ignorance and bloodlust have a long tradition in the United States, especially in the red states. There used to be a kind of hand-to-hand fight on the frontier called a "knock-down-drag-out," where any kind of gouging, biting, or maiming was considered fair. The ancestors of today's red-state voters used to stand around cheering and betting on these fights. When the forces of red and blue encountered one another head-on for the first time in Kansas Territory in 1856, the red forces from Missouri, who had been coveting Indian land across the Missouri River since 1820, entered Kansas and stole the territorial election. The red news media of the day made a practice of inflammatory lying?declaring that the blue folks had shot and killed red folks whom everyone knew were walking around. The worst civilian massacre in American history took place in Lawrence, Kan., in 1862?Quantrill's raid. The red forces, known then as the slave-power, pulled 265 unarmed men from their beds on a Sunday morning and slaughtered them in front of their wives and children. The error that progressives have consistently committed over the years is to underestimate the vitality of ignorance in America. Listen to what the red state citizens say about themselves, the songs they write, and the sermons they flock to. They know who they are?they are full of original sin and they have a taste for violence. The blue state citizens make the Rousseauvian mistake of thinking humans are essentially good, and so they never realize when they are about to be slugged from behind.

Here is how ignorance works: First, they put the fear of God into you?if you don't believe in the literal word of the Bible, you will burn in hell. Of course, the literal word of the Bible is tremendously contradictory, and so you must abdicate all critical thinking, and accept a simple but logical system of belief that is dangerous to question. A corollary to this point is that they make sure you understand that Satan resides in the toils and snares of complex thought and so it is best not try it.

Next, they tell you that you are the best of a bad lot (humans, that is) and that as bad as you are, if you stick with them, you are among the chosen. This is flattering and reassuring, and also encourages you to imagine the terrible fates of those you envy and resent. American politicians ALWAYS operate by a similar sort of flattery, and so Americans are never induced to question themselves. That's what happened to Jimmy Carter?he asked Americans to take responsibility for their profligate ways, and promptly lost to Ronald Reagan, who told them once again that they could do anything they wanted. The history of the last four years shows that red state types, above all, do not want to be told what to do?they prefer to be ignorant. As a result, they are virtually unteachable.

Third, and most important, when life grows difficult or fearsome, they (politicians, preachers, pundits) encourage you to cling to your ignorance with even more fervor. But by this time you don't need much encouragement?you've put all your eggs into the ignorance basket, and really, some kind of miraculous fruition (preferably accompanied by the torment of your enemies, and the ignorant always have plenty of enemies) is your only hope. If you are sufficiently ignorant, you won't even know how dangerous your policies are until they have destroyed you, and then you can always blame others.

The reason the Democrats have lost five of the last seven presidential elections is simple: A generation ago, the big capitalists, who have no morals, as we know, decided to make use of the religious right in their class war against the middle class and against the regulations that were protecting those whom they considered to be their rightful prey?workers and consumers. The architects of this strategy knew perfectly well that they were exploiting, among other unsavory qualities, a long American habit of virulent racism, but they did it anyway, and we see the outcome now?Cheney is the capitalist arm and Bush is the religious arm. They know no boundaries or rules. They are predatory and resentful, amoral, avaricious, and arrogant. Lots of Americans like and admire them because lots of Americans, even those who don't share those same qualities, don't know which end is up. Can the Democrats appeal to such voters? Do they want to? The Republicans have sold their souls for power. Must everyone?

Progressives have only one course of action now: React quickly to every outrage?red state types love to cheat and intimidate, so we have to assume the worst and call them on it every time. We have to give them more to think about than they can handle?to always appeal to reason and common sense, and the law, even when they can't understand it and don't respond. They cannot be allowed to keep any secrets. Tens of millions of people didn't vote?they are watching, too, and have to be shown that we are ready and willing to fight, and that the battle is worth fighting. And in addition, we have to remember that threats to democracy from the right always collapse. Whatever their short-term appeal, they are borne of hubris and hatred, and will destroy their purveyors in the end.

• Realist
    Realist

i think this is an interesting piece of the puzzle:

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

You call that a dialogue? Christ, that makes MY rantings look rational and coherent!

CZAR

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think that the author makes a good point about how people in the red states absolutely loathe the idea of a centralized, liberal-atheistic, bureaucratic government telling them what to do. And I think John Kerry became the embodiment of that sort of thing in their minds. I think the dems only hope is to field candidates from western or southern states, the south has gone so far knee-jerk right that the dems will never capture the presidency with a northeasterner.

My hope is that the more fiscally responsible and socially liberal republicans (like Ahnold and McCain)can rescue the party from the influence of the Religious Right i.e. the American Taliban, and the spend-like-f'ing-crazy-but-leave-it-to-future-generations-to-pay-the-bill neocons.

The error that progressives have consistently committed over the years is to underestimate the vitality of ignorance in America.

Well put. These people are unteachable, uncurious, self-righteous and vile.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Thanx Elsewhere, Realist

This is the much of the reasoning I've come to also.

Ignorance is bliss, until it bites your arse. Then it's "They're" fault. You know, "Them"?

For me, it feels like the American Revolution of the 60's and early 70's and everything that was gained, has been lost, or will be shortly.

Peace

Brenda

• Realist
    Realist

Hello Brenda,

yes the statistics are very interesting. They were digged up by WildHorses.

Also on average the less educated people are the more religous they are.

• TD
    TD

While I certainly don't disagree with Ms. Smileys lament over human ignorance and hatred, I have a hard time following her mercurial concept of the "Forces of Red and Blue." It reminds me of the ever-changing JW concept of the "King of the North and South."

What exactly are the forces of "Red and Blue?" Who compose the individual members thereof? Are they Republicans and Democrats respectively from the days of radical pro-slavery extremism (As typified by the Lawrence, Kansas atrocity) to the present? Unless Ms. Smiley is somewhat confused as to who the Republicans and Democrats were in her chosen historical context, having perhaps fallen asleep when her history class covered things like the Kansas-Nebraska act, the Missouri compromise, the Abolitionist movement, or what the invective, "Black Republican" meant, this doesn't seem very likely.

Are they members of states that went "Red" or "Blue" in the recent election? Again, given the broad historical context she meanders around in, this doesn't seem likely as it takes into account neither those states respective voting records in that context nor the sometimes slim margins by which they have "earned" their color in recent times.

Perhaps the "Forces of Red" are simply hate filled people down through history regardless of party affliation? Given her mention of William Quantrill, who was awarded if I'm not mistaken, a Captaincy in the Confederate army, this seems the most charitiable thing to assume of Ms. Smiley's grasp of history. However this disconnection would weaken an already tenuous concatenation of ideas in support of the notion that America hates Democrats by rendering her digression into the politics of the mid-19th century completely irrelevant to that idea..

As an attendee of recent pre-election rally in Tucson featuring Michael Moore as speaker, my observation is this: There's hatred to spare, and both sides need to tone it down. It is after all, easy to hate those whom you perceive as hating you and this seems to be the underlying motive behind this call to arms masqueraded as "Dialogue."

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

They hate us for our freedom :-(

• Satanus
    Satanus

Another tongue in cheek commentary:

"Stupid people love Bush" new study proves According to the prestigious Southern California think tank, The Gluton Group, stupid people prefer President George W Bush over Senator John Kerry by a 4-to-1 margin. As Chief Resident Dr. Louis Friend characterized the results of the research, "the less intelligent you are, the more you like Bush." This landmark study, conducted over a 5 month period, involved 2400 likely voters bridging all economic stratas in the 17 states generally considered up for grabs on November 2nd. Participants were tested for intelligence, then asked to fill out a 12 page series of questions involving the Presidential candidates with results released earlier this week.
    The consensus: the higher the IQ, the less people trust Bush and respect the job his administration has done. The lower the IQ, the more people admire his steadfastness. "It was pretty much a slam dunk. There's no nice way to say this. Dumb people like him. They think his unwavering nature is a positive personality trait. They even venerate him for never admitting mistakes, even when he's wrong. On the other hand, smart people think he's a lying bully. I mean, c'mon, you have a deserter accusing a decorated veteran of treason. Who's going to buy that besides stupid people?"
    Preliminary results:
    IQ Above 140: Kerry 80%, Bush 20%.
    120-140: Kerry 65%, Bush 35%.
    100-120: Kerry 54%, Bush 46%.
    80-100: Bush 54%, Kerry 46%.
    60-80: Bush 60%, Kerry 15%, Dale Earnhardt Jr. 25%.
    Apparently, Bush's good-evil, black-white philosophy resonates on an inverse relationship with higher education, whereas it became evident over the period of analysis that John Kerry's nuanced arguments are only understood by people who paid attention in any class above the 5th grade.
    Doctor Friend elaborated: "It has to do with intellectual curiosity. Folks see Bush in front of a stream talking about the environment and they assume he's in favor of it, even though if you read his legislation, I'd be surprised to hear him endorse shade. This also explains why Bush gets away with pretending he doesn't know how the Senate works, allowing him to call Kerry a flip-flopper."
    Friend released evidence that this type of disconnect exists across the board: education, foreign policy, the economy, post 9-11 security response and State Dinner entertainment choices. Also discovered was a direct correlation between the number of preset Country Western stations on car radios and Bush's approval rating. Dr. Friend attributes this phenomena to the simplicity inherent in the messages indigenous to both. Classical music listeners were preponderantly Kerry supporters, but surprisingly, on heavy metal, the two split down the middle.
    Spotting a trend, Friend cautioned, "Because of the deterioration in public education, larger and larger segments of the population are creeping downward IQ-wise, cementing the hold Republicans have on the electorate." However, if the election were held today, Bush would hold a lead of 52-48 in the popular vote, but would be virtually tied in the Electoral College, which Bush supporters argue against because the word College angers them. When contacted, a Kerry spokesman just chuckled. No Bush spokesperson was made available for comment. It was also found that Ralph Nader supporters were the brightest of all political proponents tested, but Dr. Friend dismissed them as "too smart for their own good."
    In a related study, smart people prefer baseball because the pace is such that there is time to read.
  • Athanasius
    Athanasius

Perhaps it is because Judge Rutherford, the founder of the Jehovah's Witness religion, was a Democrat. And everybody hates the Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit