Planning my escape - comments wanted

by FreeWilly 13 Replies latest jw friends

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Since leaving the Dubs 5 years ago I have gained a new appreciation for THIS life. Since this life is the only one I know for sure that I have I have tried to take every opportunity that comes my way. Well, for a few years now I have been entertaining the idea of planning my escape from the American rat-race.

My true passion is surfing. It keeps me healthy, body and soul. The area I live in has fair surf at best and the water is butt ass cold! I am seriously thinking of cashing out and moving to Costa Rica with the idea of living and working as an ex-pat. Maybe it will be permanent, maybe it will be just for a year or two, who knows. I can very easily imagine it a permanent move but cannot discount the possibilty of it not. I have lived, for extended periods (8 months total), in Latin America (including Costa Rica), understand the culture and speak a fair amount of Spanish. I've also done a tremendous amount of research and feel comfortable with this particular destination.

The Pro's

It's a Surfer paradise and US money goes a long way.

If the ever was a true calling for me, this is it. If I decided to make this my way of life I could try to establish a business compatible with it (i.e. a small hotel, Bed and Breakfast, surf related tourism etc.) Alternatively I can work short temporary assignments in the US and return to C.R. to live on my earnings.

I'm bored in my current 'routine' and need a new adventure/challenge.

I feel myself sliding into the stressful, sedintary and unhealthy pattern that's so difficult to avoid living and working in the USA.

I am young enough now (mid 30's) and surfing is not something people wait till they retire start pursuing heavily.

I have a small-medium size chunk of equity in my house I can use for a business, house or emmergency if needed.

It's a great culture friendly to ex-pats and has a stable government.

I can get temporary work in the US relatively easily should I fall flat on my face.

There is a considerable American contigent there already.

Gearge Bush got re-elected so this may be a good time to get outa town (snicker).

The Cons

I would be leaving a rock-solid, 6-figure income job, benefits, retirement, 401K etc, that I have no guarantee I can regain. I could be taking a step backward (or sideways) in my career progression.

I may price myself out of the US housing market should I come back to America in a few years.

It's a long way for anyone to visit - although leaving the JW's convieniently releived me of most of my Family and all of my log-term friends.

My girlfriend is willing to try it but who knows how that will work out.

OK, so I'd love to hear any and all comments. What have I overlooked? What would you realistically do? Anyone actually do something like this? Fire away.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Follow your bliss, Willy.

If I knew what I know now I'd be settling in for the winter at some godforsaken Montana line shack. There would be a couple of colts to line out up there with me and a feed wagon ready to go.

If you have a marketable skill the only thing to fear is fear itself. Who can you hurt by your actions? Sounds like you have to answer only to your self. Go for it.

At worst you can write a cheap novel based on your experiences.. who really cares if we cant go back? all the fun is found going forward!

---------Hill

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LOL, you kinda have to do it now, or else you are going to be one boring, repetitive mufucka at dinner parties later on in life; "did I tell you about how I almost chucked it all and lived on the beach in...." (told to attractive young women who just might have been impressed if that "almost" wasn't part of the story).

Sorry dude, you didn't leave yourself an out, you're just going to have to do the life altering, fun thing. I'll come visit you.

• avishai
    avishai

Well, if it's a wedding destination, I'd get ordained through an online church and be a wedding minister if i were you. It's free at www.ulc.org and in some tropical places they make as much as $200.00 or more PER WEDDING!! The advantage of this is it's easy, you can make your own schedule, and use your JW public speaking skills. Whaddya think?

• Satanus
    Satanus

I have heard that, when you get old, most memories fade, except these kinds of things. I say go for it. Even if it doesn't work, you will cherish the memories, and know that you tried. It sounds like a lot of fun. If you don't do it, it will probably always bother you that you didn't take that risk/accept the challenge.

S

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly
    LOL, you kinda have to do it now, or else you are going to be one boring, repetitive mufucka at dinner parties later on in life....

LOL, I guess I'm committed now.

Hey, , anyone wanna sponsor me ?

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Go for it dude! pshaww to the 401K...how many miserable people have those? Besides, if it doesn't work out after a few years, you can always come back to the rat race.

I've always wanted to visit Costa Rica! They have more species of animals per square hectare there than anywhere else on earth if memory serves. I think the marriage ordination thing is a great idea! If/when I get married I'd love to do it there. Or, on a cruise. :)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Willy

It looks to me like you've thought hard on this. I say Go For It! You're not getting any younger. If you have to come back for whatever unforseen reason it doesn't work out, at least you tried. Better than wishing when you're 50! So what if US life and the rat-race passes you by. Keep your 401K intact just in case/worst case.

Now, on the surfing front.

Are you in contact with any boardshops here that might want to set up shop there? Say, set up an import/export business in addition to your wedding work? How about surfwear?

Good luck, and blessings on your new journey! As Nike sez "Just Do It!"

Hugs

Brenda

• avishai
    avishai
    I may price myself out of the US housing market should I come back to America in a few years.

So buy a house now that you can rent for the equivalent of payments. Then put a prop. mgmt. company incharge. That's basically what I did, and I make A LOT less than 6 figures.

• Flash
    Flash
    Well, for a few years now I have been entertaining the idea of planning my escape from the American rat-race.

My true passion is surfing. It keeps me healthy, body and soul...I am seriously thinking of cashing out and moving to Costa Rica...

The Rat Race is not unique to the US. I would strongly suggest you make every effort to find happiness here in the US rather than totaly uproot and very possibly lose all you've gained and may not be able to regain. Consider exploring other sports and activities that will move you equaly, perhaps even more than surfing. What other things have you tried? I'd explore everthing, especialy if I had a Six Figure income! Myself, I get a great deal of enjoyment and a feeling of freedom riding my motorcyle. I own a 1200cc race bike and it is very exhilerating to travel down the highway at 100+ Who knows what other things may 'do it for you' like surfing does now?

What have I overlooked? What would you realistically do?

I would'nt cash-in unless I was wealthy and my future was in my control.

I wish you well. ~ Flash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit