When You Went Thru The Baptism Questions Did You Understand It All?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Did you understand all the questions and answers to all those questions that you were asked??

• New Castles
    New Castles

Not really, I remember not knowing what Seperation of Faiths was, but I answered what the book said....

I was thinking about those questions not to long ago...its funny how its not a traditional test, the Society tells you what you should answer and encourages people to have their book with them...Just a thought

• minimus
    minimus

What's Seperations of Faith???

• New Castles
    New Castles

Maybe its worded wrong, I translated it into english....sorry

Its the part where they teach that JW are seperate from other faiths and religions, that they dont join them even in charitable causes...

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

"its funny how its not a traditional test, the Society tells you what you should answer and encourages people to have their book with them"

Normal tests are designed to test a persons knowledge, skill, and understanding. The society tests a persons ability to quickly locate their pre-fabricated answers. I wish I could do my CCSP exams in that format, with an open book.

I've never heard of anyone failing the JW test.

Walter

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

The baptisms at assemblies oddly remind me of that song by Blue Oyster Cult called "Blue Oyster Cult". It's a pretty scary sound when you hear a dull "yes" spoken by those getting baptized. Nobody's ecstatic. Nobody's enthusiastic. Everyone's hypnotized...

"On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?"

"We Understand"

"Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

"We Understand"

"Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism".

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS did not always go through any questions. People just showed up at the assembly with the proper clothing and answered the 2 questions (not today's) and were baptized.

Later in the 60's the Lamp (yellow) book was printed. The questions in there are few (less than 80) and were discussed as a group with an elder in charge, like today's book study. Some in my group answered only one question. But everyone was baptized at the next assembly.

The only time someone was refused baptism it was because they had a smoking problem they elders felt they had not conquered (after 1973) or a marital situation that had not been cleared up yet (scriptural divorce, e.g.).

Few elders or long-time JWs could answer the questions adequately today without an open-book test, and I don't mean the Bible.

Blondie (ancient of days)

These were asked of me at the convention:

Baptismal questions from the August 1, 1966 Watchtower, p. 465

(1) Have you recognised yourself as a sinner and needing salvation from Jehovah God? And have you acknowledged that this salvation proceeds from him and through his ransomer, Christ Jesus?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for redemption have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to Jehovah God, to do his will henceforth as that will is revealed to you through Christ Jesus and through God's Word as his holy spirit makes it plain?

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

I just can´t remember going thru any questions. I know I´ve done it but seems to me that they didn´t make any impact on me.

• minimus
    minimus

I got baptized right before the questions were instituted. I don't think a 9 year old could truly understand what is required of them.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Yep I did... back at that time you were expected to answer in "your own words" and actual study was somewhat encouraged...you only got in trouble if you asked a lot of rabble rousing questions.

I have forgotten most of what I ever knew as I dont dwell on it. Back in the day the average Witness, if he had a mind to, could become a decent armchair theologian.

I was Baptised with the WT 66 questions asked right before the event. We had to go over about 50 questions with a elder too. Seems like we had two sessions to break it up a little.

To bad they got out of the religious business and concentrate "soley" on manupulation and the abuse of hurting people now days. Jesus aint happy.... expect a "romp in the temple" soon!

I still accept Christ's sacrifice and consider myself a Christian of sorts.... one of the things I resent about my stay in the "truth" is how they nearly killed my joy. "Grace" means nothing to these people.

--------------Hillbilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit