Hey Americas not to blame its religion

by sleepy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

Maybe its not America or its way of life as such that winds us foreigner whingers up .
    Maybe its not America that invaded Iraq.
    Maybe its religion, the religious elemnet found in most western countries but to a much larger degree in the US.
    Conservative , right wingy type christian religions, they're to blame.
    It the same right wing element of society that causes problems all over the world in every country .
    The US is just unluky at having such a high proportion of the blighters for a western country.
    I love all you liberal imnded Americans, now please take over the running of your country.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    I love all you liberal imnded Americans, now please take over the running of your country.

We tried.. lol!!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The worlds problems all stem from religion. I am not saying the answer is to get rid of religion. Its time we move into the 21 century and let people think for themselves as individuals.

Will

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Conservative , right wingy type christian religions, they're to blame.

They say it was that group that helped get Bush elected this time around.

This is a very insightful post. Thank you for it.

I always say that the judgmental ways of fundies cause more harm and suffering in this world than fornicators or gays or pagans ever will. I'd spend forever with a fornicator before I'd spend five minutes with a narrow minded judgmental right wing fundy.

• New Castles
    New Castles

YOu starting to sound JW...next thing you know, you'll be saying the govts will turn against religion and then attack JW's and then The Big A! LOL

• franklin J
    franklin J

sleepy,

thanks for the positive post.

I support America in my posts ( of course! what do you expect? I am American.) and will continue to do so ( all that JW fervor and mindless devotion suddenly directed toward being a patriotic American!) ( But yu cannot accuse me of not thinking!).

But you make a very valid point. The religious rights in this "free country" do have a very "christian" agenda. And their numbers do carry a voting block. The liberal thinkers ( of which I include myself in that category) are primarily in the larger metropolitan areas on each coast. Middle America does tend to think in more fundamental ways. And for obvious reasons: they have different issues.

Since its "puritanical" origins, the American culture is permeated with what fundamentalist Christians ( and I exclude the JWs in this movement because they do not involve themselves in politics) deem is " moral".

The beauty of the European continent is that the western culture in that part of the world has "moved beyond" trying to imprint that concept of morality on everyone ( remember the Crusades?). Not all Americans think like the "fundamental Chrisitans". They scare many of us with their concepts of "right" vs "wrong". Technically, the laws of the land are secular; that is the insulation and protection for all of us. There is a separation of Church and State.

Early on when I left the JWs ( 22 years ago) I remember telling a "worldly friend" about how I was being shunned and treated by the JW community; and how what they were doing to me was wrong. His response to me was very profound and the words still ring in my ears " we live in a free country where you can choose what ever religion you want". Being raised as a JW, I did not realise just what freedoms I was entitled to. It was a catharsis.

• dura-luxe
    dura-luxe

Absolutely. It was 100% religion! They put the gay marriage initiatives on the ballots in states where they were afraid Kerry would win. This brought out the toothless "moral majority" types who cain't stand the thought of 'dem 'dere homos having the same rights that they do.

Bush won this election because people in the South hate gays more than they hate a murderous, pointless war.

These people, just like the JW's, don't care about this countries economic future because they think Jesus is coming back.

It's no accident that the places that voted for Kerry have the highest IQ's, or that the states that were actually attacked by terrorists voted against Bush.

The conservatives won because they came out and said "We hate gays, we love war" and the liberal party didn't have the balls to say "Um, we think gay people and minorities are human beings that deserve the same rights as all human beings, and we think that church and state should remain separate."

If we don't stand up for what we believe in and start calling it as we see it and start calling out Bush's government as a psychopathic, cult-driven, theocracy we are going to lose again.

And... they cheated.

Yeah, I'm disgusted.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    "Um, we think gay people and minorities are human beings that deserve the same rights as all human beings, and we think that church and state should remain separate."

AMEN TO THAT!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    people in the South hate gays more than they hate a murderous, pointless war.

Listen, Bush didn't get all of the votes in the south, he only got a majority. That means millions of people in the south did not vote for Bush and do not feel as you state they do. I am a southerner who voted for Kerry.

The southern states aren't the only ones who went for Bush. I have lived all over the south and in two states in the north and can tell you that what needs to happen now is for democrats to get out and beat the pavement. They need to register as many people as they can and get them serious about voting.

One thing with churchgoing republican voters is that you have a place to go to get to all of them and rally them: church. And that is what the Bush campaign did. They went out beat the pavement and registered and rallied voters for Busy.

Not all christians and not all who oppose abortion and gay marriage voted for Bush by the way. My fiance's father is very strongly catholic and he voted for Kerry. He is a republican as well.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Just for your information there are some , well, very "moral" liberals out there. Religion is something that people sometimes "choose" (as opposed to some of you born into it JW's). As religion is a persons choice and the United States allows freedom of Religious choice we are bound to have some religious leanings bantered around in the politics of this country.

Get over it. Fact is the "liberal" Democatic Party didnt get it done this year. I have to commend the turnout this year. Lots of folks got involved. What the Republican Party has sucessfully done is find some people they can market to, namely the "religious right". The Democrat's failed to adress the real issues of ecomomics and military and security issues. Both sides Pander to the emotional issues like gays, abortion prayer in schools and a host of other hot button items that get folks worked up.

One last thing here.... why does the Federal Government need to have a say in much of anything anyway. By the Consitution about they only thing they should do is collect taxes and provide for the common defense of the nation.

All the issues you guys seem so upset about are STATES issues...or County issues. IF your county at large wants demand abortions and your life style makes abortion a necessary thing find a county that allows abortion and move there. This whole Gay marriage thing really amounts to a argument over portability of issues. Its a businesse thing kids. Business.

--------Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit