The Scorpian and the Toad

by Farkel 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

A toad was at the edge of a very swift river, and he could not swim. A scorpian approaches him and said, "I'm a very good swimmer. Jump on my back and I'll take you across the river."

The toad replies, "You are a scorpian! You will sting me to death and eat me."

The scorpian said, "No I won't. Trust me. I just want to help get you across the river."

After some discussion, the scorpian convinced the toad he would not harm him and the toad jumps on the scorpian's back. The scorpian immediately stings him. As he lay dying, the toad said, "You promised me you wouldn't sting me," to which the scorpian replied, "You silly little toad! I'm a scorpian. THAT'S what I do!"

A dub is laying on his deathbed and says to his dub master, "Master, when I was little you PROMISED me I would never die and now over EIGHTY years later I'm dying. The dub Master replied, "You silly little dubbie! I'm a religious leader. THAT's what I do!"

There is a moral here. Figure it out.

Farkel

• Realist
    Realist

isn't it scorpiOn?

sorry couldn't resist!

and isn't the original story that the scorpion stings the frog that carries him across the river and both die?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah! You got it all wrong! The scorpion asks to hitch the ride. Halfway across the river, he stings the toad and they both drown. The last part is right, a scorpion does not change his stripes. Yup, there is a story in there. If the scorpion (governing leadership) stings too hard, the whole ship sinks.

Also, Jez, keep this in mind. A manipulator may promise to love you forever, but a manipulator will always be.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

1. The toad only thought that he couldn't swim; the scorpion falsely believed himself to be able, and he needed the toad to confirm it, but also to silence him and prevent disclosure.
    2. The toad only thought that he could be killed by a scorpion; the scorpion convinced the toad that he was able
    3. Only show the money to the ferryman
  • Corvin
    Corvin
    Yeah! You got it all wrong! The scorpion asks to hitch the ride. Halfway across the river, he stings the toad and they both drown. The last part is right, a scorpion does not change his stripes. Yup, there is a story in there. If the scorpion (governing leadership) stings too hard, the whole ship sinks

Yes, it was the scorpion that hitched a ride on the frog's back since the frog could swim and the scorpion couldn't.

The scorpion reasoned with the frog, "why would I sting you? It would be stupid to sting you since we would both drown."

The frog accepted the scorpion's reasoning and gave him a ride across the pond. Halfway across, the scorpion stung the frog. As they were both going down, the frog asked pleadingly of the scorpion, "why did you do that? Now we are both going to die!"

The scorpion shrugged and said, "it's just my nature".

How about this one:

A man is walking along the street and falls into a hole. A doctor walks by and hears the cries for help. The man in the hole says, "hey, I've fallen into this hole. Can you get me out?"

The doctor writes him a prescription and throws it into the hole and then walks away.

A priest comes along and sees the man in the hole. The man in the hole says, "hey, I've fallen into this hole and I can't get out! Can you get me out of here, please?"

The priest writes out a prayer and throws it into the hole and walks away.

A while later, another man comes along and sees the man in the hole. The man in the hole says, "hey, I've fallen into this hole. Can you get me out?"

The man up top doesn't say a word, but jumps down into the hole with the first man. The first man says, "what did you do that for? Now we're both in the hole!"

The second man says matter of factly, "yes, but I've been down here before. I know the way out."

Corvin

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

[q]The scorpion reasoned with the frog, "why would I sting you? It would be stupid to sting you since we would both drown."

The frog accepted the scorpion's reasoning and gave him a ride across the pond. Halfway across, the scorpion stung the frog. As they were both going down, the frog asked pleadingly of the scorpion, "why did you do that? Now we are both going to die!"

The scorpion shrugged and said, "it's just my nature".[/q]

• Corvin
    Corvin
    I loved this as told by Forest Whitaker in The Crying Game. I never forgot it.

Yes, yes! That's where I heard that parable! Thanks T. Great movie btw.

Corvin

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

One of my all time faves...

• logical
    logical

It was also in a Star Trek episode, the one where they make a deal with the Borg to defeat Species 8472 but 7 of 9 turns on them.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

So is the moral - don't believe someone else's take on a known story ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit