You mean Britain has increasing violent crime? I'm Shocked, Shocked!!

by CaptainSchmideo 39 Replies latest social current

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

>>But the UK has some of the strictest gun-control laws in the world. How could gun crime possibly be on the rise?

Because the guns are imported and distributed illegally - like drugs. They're quite common there as I understand it. I think the idea in America is that is the public are armed legally, then criinals are less likely to risk being shot by committing crime.

Personaly, I think social and economic issues are more of an issue than fear of getting shot.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    Have Great Britain's restrictive gun laws contributed to the rise in violent crime?

No, and anyone who thinks so has just fallen victim to the apologisms of the gun lobby.

As regards use of force in self-defence, you can use as much as the person attacking uses. Very simple and quite fair.

Secondly, criminals tend to want guns to protect themselves against other criminals with guns. They don't need them to protect themselves from the police or their victims. Having a gun with you normally just means you serve a lot more time if you get caught.

Thirdly, if we had as many guns as you, the number of deaths would far outweigh any reduction in property crime rates. Burlary in the UK is 2.8%. In the US it is 2.6%. Total crime figures are 86.04 per 1000 in the UK and 81.55 per 1000 people in the US.

Compare the 8,259 murders with firearms (out of 12,658) in the US to the 62 in the UK (out of 850). Yup, that is sixty-two. A difference between a 1 in 900,000 chance and a 1 in 31,000 chance. Even without guns the US is horribly violent; 1 in 21,000 chance of being murdered compared to 1 in 66,000.

Fourthly, although violent crime is a problem, if one examines the effects of an average violent crime in the UK, they are far far less severe than in the US.

Fifth, WITH guns, the US has a rate of assault of 7.70 per 1000 people; the UK has 7.50 per 1000 people.

It really is that simple. You Americans couldn't get rid of guns if you tried( too late. too many), and you pay a cost for the freedom to be shot many of you defend.

I hope it is worth it; the tired old arguments about needing them to fight back against the Government were rather neatly defeated when Communism fell to a populace without guns...

• sleepy
    sleepy

"The fact is that gun-crime has gone up in Britain because we end up copying everything from the damaged society of America"

Can't agree with that at all.
    First point British culture is very independant from outside influence.

We make far of our or own films , music,fashion and TV etc,etc than many countries and that also is exported widely around the world.
    Second most violent crime happens on Friday and Saturday night after thousands of drunk people crawl out of the bars and clubs into the town centres.
    This is a British culture problem and is completely different to the situation US were most crime is confined to "ghetto" neigbourhoods.

• franklin J
    franklin J

thanks for my chuckle of the day, guys.....

and my "Burkes Peerage" Brit friends here in America would NEVER make comments like that....too busy commenting on the "Royals".....and tryinig to prevent people from taking their money....

• TD
    TD

As regards use of force in self-defence, you can use as much as the person attacking uses. Very simple and quite fair.

Practically speaking how does that work in the UK?

Let's say a 5' - 1" (155cm), 110 lb. (50K) women is chased and cornered by a 6' - 7" (201cm), 260lb (118K )man. He begins to slowly advance upon her, ignoring any and all quiries as to his intentions.

What is the level of threat that she may legally use to abate the assault and may she legally follow through with said threat if it is ignored?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I can't agree with that. The right to self-defence must be absolute or it is no right at all. If someone initiates force against me, I should be allowed to use any means necessary to protect my right to live freely. That includes killing someone who is trespassing on my property with the intent to cause me harm.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I should be allowed to use any means necessary to protect my right to live freely. That includes killing someone who is trespassing on my property with the intent to cause me harm.

ut oh, better watch out.... you're starting to sound like a 'red' state 'merican.

• detective
    detective

Gun control... oh please!

Being a progressive thinker, I'm already looking forward to knife control! Spork, anyone?

Now, off to listen to my Spice Girls albums...

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Now, off to listen to my Spice Girls albums...

How tragic, we cant even blame the USA for those girls :(

What a sorry state England has become

;)

Brummie

• Gerard
    Gerard

Wanna hear a good one? There's this Mexican priest that walks around with a hand gun on his belt, cowboy hat and boots:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3988263.stm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit