Depressed and doubting...

by dura-luxe 33 Replies latest jw friends

• dura-luxe
    dura-luxe

I've been out for 8 years, and for the first time in my life I am doubting.

Not big doubts, but little ones. It's all the Middle East and the "peace and security" talk.

I feel like Armageddon is coming.

The brainwashing never ends.

I could use some words of wisdom if you have any to offer. Please.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    It's all the Middle East and the "peace and security" talk. I feel like Armageddon is coming.

First of all, this is nothing new. I was a pioneer, during the first Gulf war, and we could talk of nothing else. Now it is 12 years later. Still no Armageddon.

"Peace and Security" was cried by Henry Kissinger, another time, during the Vietnam war. It wasn't true, but they called it loud and clear. That scared me to death, about 1972.

Just remember, it is all fear.

Try not to see the Bible as a prophecy manual. It's just a book.

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

I haven't been around as long as Mulan BUT I remember from the time I was a kid, the middle east on the news. Since the Gulf war in the early 90's its been the same. I was watching the news with my sis, and of course the news was "Crisis in the Middle East". BS - its "day to day" life in the middle east.

As far as Armageddon, by God's hand, thats a fantasy. If there is any "world end", trust me, we'll all be in the same boat, regardless of religion.

Enjoy your day to day life. If watching the news is getting you down, take a break from it for awhile.

There's lots of GREAT stuff out there to enjoy, and LOTS of good news.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain
    I feel like Armageddon is coming.

The brainwashing never ends.

Think about it this way. Armageddon may come, and it's going to take all false prophets and blasphemers with it. Going back to the dubs ain't going to do you no good. You might anger god more in fact by going back.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

To counter the "brain washing" you need to fill you head with FACTS.

Please read:

"Armegedon Delayed" by James Penton.

"The Gentle Times Revisited" by Carl Olaf Jonnson

and Jonnson's other book. Very informative and helps you see from a Watchtower mindset that we were brainwashed to believe the FEAR.

J

• jgnat
    jgnat

How about a book? "A Walk Across America" by Peter Jenkins

Twenty-five years ago, a disillusioned young man set out on a walk across America. This is the book he wrote about that journey -- a classic account of the reawakening of his faith in himself and his country.

"I started out searching for myself and my country," Peter Jenkins writes, "and found both." In this timeless classic, Jenkins describes how disillusionment with society in the 1970s drove him out onto the road on a walk across America. His experiences remain as sharp and telling today as they were twenty-five years ago -- from the timeless secrets of life, learned from a mountain-dwelling hermit, to the stir he caused by staying with a black family in North Carolina, to his hours of intense labor in Southern mills. Many, many miles later, he learned lessons about his country and himself that resonate to this day -- and will inspire a new generation to get out, hit the road and explore.

• Tim Horton
    Tim Horton

I remember when I was 18 and we heard them say "peace and security" and saw on it Tv. It was a big event/thing. I am now 33. Where is this Armageddon cause IMageddon impatient. 18-33 you do the math. Peace and Security and then the end will come. I don't feel an end at 33 in leaving the truth but a new beginning. All the best to you. Please stay strong. We are all here to listen and chat any time my friend. I bet you have more friends here then you ever had in the so called truth. Just a little tid bit to think about. Rusty
    For me, going back to the truth now would make me very lonely and I would miss talking to you.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I've had similar feelings of fear, or at least watchfullness, when the Gulf War happend; when the disasterous attacks of 9/11/01 happened; and especially since the US invaded Iraq.

Hey, I've been out now 25 years, longer than I was in. That's how deep the JW fear-mongering mindset goes in me.

Do I believe my fears? No. I do not.

Emotions are real, but they are not always trustworthy. Fear is a basic emotion. It induces the body to produce adrenaline for "fight or flight". Some of your fear could be fueling your depression. Anxiety is a common side to depression.

Please see your doctor. If you have had bouts of depression off and on since leaving the dubs, even before leaving, combined with fear and anxiety, you could have a medical problem that appropriate drug therapy, along with shrink-talk, can help.

You're in the right place here for expressing your doubts, as so many here are educated as to the "Truth behind the Truth tm "

The biggest thing is take care of yourself.

Hugs for ya. We all need 'em.

Brenda

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Hold the phone. No reason to let your "brainwashing" get the best of you. I'm one of the few on this board who has never been a JW, so I can't say I've walked in your shoes. HOWEVER, I've been to numerous Christian churches and believe me the JWs don't hold the "patent" to Armageddon. MANY churches follow the belief in the 2nd Coming, Armegeddon, the last days, etc., etc.; in fact, what I've learned from being on this board is that date wise, the JWs continually miscalculate certain dates...and that itself goes against the main Christian belief that "No man knows the day and time of the end times...only God" (and He ain't tellin')

This world has been in so many crisis since I was a teenager in the 60's that numerous times I thought the end was coming. I know this might sound strange, considering what's been going on in the world, but I felt more in danger in the 60's and 70s with the Soviet Union around, and terrorist hijacking airplanes, ships, the '72 Olympics, etc. Relax.... live the golden rule, do the best you can ... that which you can't control, don't give it the "power" to control your feelings. All is well.

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi

Joyzabel noted: "Armegedon Delayed" by James Penton.

The correct name of the book is: Apocalpyse Delayed. It is excellent, as are Crisis of Conscience and Gentile Times Reconsidered.

Please don't let Watchtower prophetic gymnastics or stressful world events get to you. Before I became a JW, the Society predicted that armageddon would arrive by 1914, then revised it to 1915, then 1918, then 1925 ... but, no armageddon. Then the JWs were all hyped up during World War II fulling believing that it was the time ... however, no armageddon. Then by 1970 I was a JW and I recall 1975, and all the prophetic hype from the Society ... how mature ones were serving Jehovah by being out door-to-door selling magazines ... in the few months or weeks rermaining ... that was nearly 30 years ago ... somehow there was no armageddon. I remember the push for peace and security in the late 1980s to the mid-1990s as the Soviet Union collapsed ... yet no armageddon. I recall how we were to see the end before the generation of 1914 would die off ... or within a generation of 70 or 80 years (Ps. 90:10). Yet, 80 years after 1914 arrived in 1994 ... still no armageddon. Then 9-11 happened and JWs were all excited once more as they surely thought armageddon was nigh ... once more, no armageddon. We are now ten more years past the end of 80 years in 1994 ... and there is no armageddon in sight.

Deut. 18:18-22 tells us not to be afraid of false prophets. For what they speak does not come true precisely because it does NOT come from God. - Jim W.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit