What's your opinion?

by MelbaToast 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    As an example: leading a field service group. I knew that this position entailed directing people to work certain areas and coordinating their actions, but I did not feel as though I was authorized to tell people what to do.

That is exactly how I felt in those very situations. We were conditioned to submit to the authorized direction of the elders, CO, and the FDS. The situation for me when out among non-jws was even worse. For example: I was so socially inept with "worldly" people, that when I was alone once with a female student who had invited me to the university pub for a drink, I was more backward than a fumbling prepubescent kid.

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

MS:

For example: I was so socially inept with "worldly" people, that when I was alone once with a female student who had invited me to the university pub for a drink, I was more backward than a fumbling prepubescent kid.

I had about the same experience, only on the opposite side of the spectrum: A guy I worked with once invited me over to his home after work to watch movies, drink, and possiblly more ( I never found out). I got scared after we got to his house and he started smoking ( and Im not talking about tobacco)...had to leave abruptly.

The guy never invited me over again . He probably thought I was some freak. Which at newly 18, I was.

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

btt coz people need to see this

Melba Toast

• Terry
    Terry
    seeitallclearlynow says: Do you feel it's almost impossible not to lead this "secret life" to a certain extent in order for the human "self" to exist as a JW? Or is it only "weak" people or "morally inferior" people who do this? Especially in view of the situation that exists for JW's as you stated?

Have you ever seen grass growing up through concrete? It can split a rock so powerful is the imperative to grow and flourish. Humans too must flourish. But, sometimes a belief is sitting on top of them as heavy as a boulder. It just isn't in human nature to give up. People try supressing curiousity, rage, disappointment and volition; but, it isn't possible to do it indefinitely. All that human emotion has to go somewhere. Invariably a witness ends up living two lives; a private one and a public one (for the other JW's consumption). Some are aware they are doing it and some simply hide it from themselves.

My best friend, Johnny who is a JW in good standing is very good at the double life thing. He goes to whatever movies he likes, he visits with me (a disfellowshipped person) he doubts the governing body and he reads whatever he likes. But, at the same time he refuses to acknowledge any of this to himself. It is astonishing to watch.

Not only is the double life necessary it is inescapable. Don't let anybody fool you; the longer you are a witness the more profound is the split from your own self and the larger the safe space you build inside your head to breathe free.

The best evidence of this is what happens when a person finally leaves the organization. Their true self snaps into view so suddenly it often takes friends, family and their owns selves by surprise. The extent of the anger and the sense of loss can be staggering. All that pressure over the years must find expression.

Show me somebody who claims they didn't live this way and I'll show you somebody who isn't in touch with themselves and is still repressing memories.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit