FIRST SAN DIEGO X-JW RECOVERY GROUP MEETING SET

by Corvin 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Corvin
    Corvin

Hello fellow apostates, faders, lurkers and trolls.

We are set to meet for our first support group meeting for former JW's this November 20th at 1:00 pm.

There will be no set agenda or format for the first meeting. It will merely be sort of a mini-apostafest to get to know each other, share ideas and thoughts and we will make it whatever you want it to be. Refreshments will be served. Everyone is welcome, and it will be held at my home in East County- San Diego.

PM me for the address and/or with any questions you have.

We are looking forward to establishing a real network of support for all of us coming out of the organization. Please come.

Best Regards,

Corvin

• kls
    kls

You go Corvin and with the drive and compassion you have i am sure it will grow to mass numbers.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Good luck and blessings. The journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step.

You're meeting is 2 days before my birthday. I'll send warm wishes you're way.

Hugs

Brenda

PS I love SD and if/when we're next down there I'll look y'all up.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

PS Has anyone ever told you you look like Mike Myers? Better looking but you could be brothers....

Yeah, baby!

-Bren

• Corvin
    Corvin
    PS Has anyone ever told you you look like Mike Myers? Better looking but you could be brothers....

LOL, no. Never got that one before, but I have gotten "Brad Pitt", "Bruce Willis" and "Kevin Spacey" . . . more recently "speed racer".

• Corvin
    Corvin

The following PM was sent to me. I answered the PM, but would like to share its contents and the answers I sent.

i must admit that i am the slightest bit intrigued....i would like the information, but have to check with hubby as to whether or not i can confirm.....

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm gathering that this is a kind of support group with 12-step-ish motives; as in helping people get out and stay out? ....i did go through therapy for several years to deal with my issues with the jws, family, and . . .

i would love to help by offering support to people who are going through a hard time adjusting to the no friends, no family situation that so many of us have been put in, as i know first hand about that...but i'm not completely sure about what this group is trying to accomplish, even after reading the threads...is it just support? or is it active 'try to get people out' stuff? because, quite frankly, despite what they did to me and people who's stories i have read, i have no desire to convert people to my way of thinking...

please let me know if i can be of assistance to you, corvin...i have cried over the sadness that these people have brought upon your family, and would love to help you, and any one else, as much as i can.

ANSWER:

The ultimate goal of the group is to not only support and assist troubled and guilt-ridden x-JW's with their issues, help them unload baggage, but to create and evolve intervention strategies, bridge the gap between traditional counseling and the specific needs of a JW or X-JW. I am inviting counselors, teachers and therapists to attend and observe, to listen and see the real need to get involved and get the mental health industry educated about the thousands upon thousands of dejected souls out there suffering from a JW upbringing. We are evolving child abuse intervention strategies and want to educate CPS, the courts, attornies and teachers about the child abuse problem in the organization and make them aware and equipped to help children they run across in their respective professions.

I am preparing a mission statement and there is lots of work to be done. The support group is a first step in discovering the various needs of those who are effected. It is a way to reach out to those who do not know their is help and resources for them. We want to create even more resources.

I am not altogether comfortable with the 12-step format, but I am open to various approaches. We do not attempt to indoctrinate, or replace one set of religious beliefs for another, but encourage independent and critical thinking. We support anything and everything that might be empowering to an individual. The individual has to make the determination for him/herself. The group will lend support to that principle.

With the professionals attending, your stories will go along way to alert and educate them to the very real and disturbing issues we carry with us out of the org. I recently attended a family group counseling session where I had to tell a portion of my story to other parents who only had a tacit knowledge of JW's and their beliefs. They were astounded, angered, concerned and very surprised at the truth about the organization and the way they operate. Their hearts went out to my children, and even me. One 16 year-old boy in the group blurted out indignantly, "That bullshit sounds just like communism!" I believe all it will take to get help to thousands and bridge that gap is an effort to educate those who can help.

Yes, your help is much needed and welcome! Your contribution will reinforce and solidify the goals of JW recovery.

I hope I answered your questions to your satisfaction. Let me know what more you would like to know.

Corvin

• kls
    kls

Actually i thought he looks like the lead singer of Velvet Revolver, what ever his name is. You know he was the lead singer in that other band.

• harleyquinn
    harleyquinn

scott weiland....

and may i just say that, while in this case i don't necessarily mind, i don't really appreciate private messages being posted to a thread...corvin, the reason i didn't post my questions on this thread was because i wanted to be discreet about it...true, you didn't post my name, but i think my style of writing is pretty obvious and i feel as if i should say it was i who asked those questions....but, it is done...not upset, but would appreciate you asking me next time before you post any messages that i send in a private manner....thank you...

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Well Now EVERYBODY KNOWS

Ok, I'll be going now...

• Corvin
    Corvin
    and may i just say that, while in this case i don't necessarily mind, i don't really appreciate private messages being posted to a thread...corvin, the reason i didn't post my questions on this thread was because i wanted to be discreet about it

Your questions were good ones and may have been on the minds of others. I felt it called for being addressed publicly. I respectfully omitted your name, along with a few other lines to keep it anonymous. I doubt if anyone would have nailed who it was in the PM.

I hope you understand.

Best Regards,

Corvin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit