Potential Trouble for WTS

by metatron 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Pole
    Pole

Abaddon,

The problem here is that we're not even talking about the EU. As far as I know the Commission in question was set up by the Council of Europe (not to be confused with the Council of the European Union or the European Council) which has nothing to do with the EU.

Still people on this thread have used terms such as "Eurocrats" or "artificial constructs of human delusion".

I don't quite understand what the Council of Europe has to do with Eurocracy.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Pole

You are right. But the decison making element of the COE is comprised of elected officials from its members (its purpose is to be the "guardian of democratic security" in Europe. Most of the 46 members of the Committee of Ministers are 46 Foreign ministers (some are ambassadors) and all of the 315 representatives from the 46 member's parliaments are elected.

I don't find a democratically appointed multinational organsiation that has aided Europe's stability and security for 55 years very scarey!

http://www.coe.int/T/e/Com/about_coe/

Running Man

European Union is not about stopping being Italian, or Dutch, or English or whatever. It's not about sticking to an ideology which benefits one or a handful of countries. It's about tolerance and co-operation.

Just because it is bloody hard for people from different places to get along sometimes, doesn't mean we shouldn't try. History tells us divisons are dangerous. Equality of nations is as important as equality of races or equality of sexes, and just as those are being increaingly realised, so too will equality of nations make life better for people.

Just as men can't treat women like slaves in most countries any more (although granted some try), nor can one group of people enslave another, countries will have to treat each others as equal in rights if we want to increase the peace.

As the trend towards regional autonomy within countries grows, allowing the assertion of the seperate historic and cultural identities subsumed with in a larger country, so too does the trend towards countries working together peacefully. What was it, ten new members of the EU and Turkey in a decade?

Most laws passed increase safety, equalise prices, support depressed industries and areas (although I despise inductrial and agricultural subsidies myself), and ensure the delivery of human rights. It does get silly, like with them wanting to call sauceges 'emulsified meat product tubes' (or whatever it was). And mistakes are made.

But the direction is a god one, I think.

• Pole
    Pole

Abaddon,

I don't find a democratically appointed multinational organsiation that has aided Europe's stability and security for 55 years very scarey!

Agreed. Still, the CoE is also comprised of countries such as Russia (speaking of human rights...) and it doesn't even begin to compare with the EU in terms of the political integrity of its member states.

Most laws passed increase safety, equalise prices, support depressed industries and areas (although I despise inductrial and agricultural subsidies myself), and ensure the delivery of human rights. It does get silly, like with them wanting to call sauceges 'emulsified meat product tubes' (or whatever it was). And mistakes are made.
    But the direction is a god one, I think.

If "emulsified meat product tubes" are the price to pay for the integration, I'm ready to pay it . Actually, the budget of the EU is only about 1.05 of the GDP of the member states.

I have been increasingly supportive of the EU integration recently. Let's face it. Either we Euros unite or we'll end up as a bunch of petty nationalistic little states in the next 50 years.

Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit